SEM Paint - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

SEM Paint

I have been looking for some old stock SEM 07034 Karrot or 24 Karrot paint. I recently had a scratch in the paint and the body shop informed me it is no longer produced and they also could not get the formulation from SEM. They were able to find 1/2 quart from another shop to do the repair. I am looking to buy more to have on hand for the next time I need it. Can anyone lead me to where I would look for a body shop that might have some they'd be willing to sell?

Thanks as always

Dave

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 08:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: SEM Paint

I contacted SEM several months ago concerning a discontinued paint color and they gave me the paint code and said an auto paint store that sells SEM could mix it and either put it in a can or in an aerosol.
dyno jonn likes this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
I contacted SEM several months ago concerning a discontinued paint color and they gave me the paint code and said an auto paint store that sells SEM could mix it and either put it in a can or in an aerosol.
The body shop i took my car to did contact SEM and they didn't have it. I'll try calling them myself. Could be because the paint can't be sold in California any more?

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 06:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
Could be because the paint can't be sold in California any more?

Yea, that's probably it. I'm not sure how anything can be sold in CA anymore given that everything I see has a CA warning of some form or another - ridiculous.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
Quote:
Could be because the paint can't be sold in California any more?

Yea, that's probably it. I'm not sure how anything can be sold in CA anymore given that everything I see has a CA warning of some form or another - ridiculous.
Just spoke to them. They do not offer it anymore. So if you buy SEM paint you're out of luck if you need to touch up your paint. It's been 8 years since car was painted. Wish paint manufacturers were held to same standards as automakers having to support their products for at least 10 years.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 07:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Quote:
Just spoke to them. They do not offer it anymore. So if you buy SEM paint you're out of luck if you need to touch up your paint. It's been 8 years since car was painted. Wish paint manufacturers were held to same standards as automakers having to support their products for at least 10 years.
Have you tried taking the car to a sherwin-williams or dupont auto paint store and let them try to match it ?

It might take a couple of tries but they should be able to.

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
Don

One of the new systems using digital color match cameras should be able to match it. They will only get better with time so if you don’t need it now don’t worry and wait until you do.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1969 Z28 factory air project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- sold
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
One of the new systems using digital color match cameras should be able to match it. They will only get better with time so if you don’t need it now don’t worry and wait until you do.
Don
The shop I took it to had the rep come out with their latest greatest paint gun and after over 20 attempts at matching they were unsuccessful.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 10:19 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
The shop I took it to had the rep come out with their latest greatest paint gun and after over 20 attempts at matching they were unsuccessful.
Silver and gold are tough to match and blend. But I am pretty sure it can be done if the need ever arises. And technology continues to improve.

1959 El Camino project

- sold
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Silver and gold are tough to match and blend. But I am pretty sure it can be done if the need ever arises. And technology continues to improve.
The need did arise. Fortunately after asking around the shop was able to locate some that a motorcycle shop had that was left over. It cost me over 8K to get a scratch fixed because the paint isn't available any more. This is the response from the SEM rep.

"Hey Dave,

Since custom paint jobs are individually done, to repair a spot would require using the exact same products, ratios, number of coats, paint gun set-up and a myriad of other variables to get an exact match. Most time a new paint job is all that can be done. You should check with the painter to see what he can suggest.

Thanks again".

Their answer for a scratch is a new paint job. 25K for a paint job to repair a scratch? For all you painters out there, is this really the answer for an 8 year old paint job on a car that is always garaged and has less than 5,000 miles? Do any of you painters know where or how I would try to find some one who has some old stock? The paint shop that fixed my scratch told me the same thing the SEM rep said. Next time I will have to re paint the entire car unless I can find some old stock some one might have lying around. Any help with how to acquire more paint would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Dave

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 07:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I needed to match the exterior paint on my car, old lacquer. I pulled the spoiler off the car and took it to a local auto paint supply store and they matched it perfectly. It was a bit costly since they had to mix several samples to get it right, but were successful. Based on my experience with this, you just need to find the right paint shop that is willing to do the work to match this for you. For what it's worth, what SEM told me was that even though they no longer made the particular color I needed (a dark blue I'd used over 15 years prior for my interior) they did have the code and a paint shop that sold SEM should be able to custom blend it with the color proportions provided for that particular code. Just an additional tip; if you do get a custom mix to match make sure you get the formula in case you need more and don't rely on the shop to keep the formula for you in their records. If they change computer systems the older formulas are easily lost forever.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

[QUOTE=ctcz28;1783137909]I needed to match the exterior paint on my car, old lacquer. I pulled the spoiler off the car and took it to a local auto paint supply store and they matched it perfectly. It was a bit costly since they had to mix several samples to get it right, but were successful. Based on my experience with this, you just need to find the right paint shop that is willing to do the work to match this for you. For what it's worth, what SEM told me was that even though they no longer made the particular color I needed (a dark blue I'd used over 15 years prior for my interior) they did have the code and a paint shop that sold SEM should be able to custom blend it with the color proportions provided for that particular code. Just an additional tip; if you do get a custom mix to match make sure you get the formula in case you need more and don't rely on the shop to keep the formula for you in their records. If they change computer systems the older formulas are easily lost forever.[/QUOTE

The SEM rep told me in an email they do not have the mix code any more. The shop tried at least 20 times to match the paint. I have all the samples they sprayed. They couldn't get it exact. It is a gold with pearl and flake in it. A beautiful deep color and an extremely difficult color to match. When I have spare time I'll start cold calling custom paint shops. I'll get more some how.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 03:49 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Codes are here:

Karrot Hyper Base Airbrush Spray Paints - 07034 - Karrot Paint, Karrot Color, SEM Hyper Base Spray Paint, D08436 - Art-Paints.com

Don

1959 El Camino project

- sold
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Don,
Thank you for trying to help, I really appreciate it. The SEM rep came out with his paint camera and couldn't match it. I would think the rep for the company would know if there was a formula that could be used. I also don't think he would go through all the effort to make all these different color swatches if it were as easy as you think it is. At this point I am just looking for advice on how to go about finding some old stock some one might have laying around.
Thank you,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Austin's paint.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	226903  

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech
Don

You are hard to please. I handed you the paint codes. Good luck with your quest for unobtanium....

Metallic gold will be a beeotch to match regardless. Gun setup and spray technique can greatly affect how the metallics lay and the resulting color.

Don

1959 El Camino project

- sold

Last edited by dhutton; May 9th, 19 at 05:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode