What makes Toyota Tacoma trucks so reliable? - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 06:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: What makes Toyota Tacoma trucks so reliable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
Actually that issue had nothing to do with reliability...

I bought a 1997 Tacoma brand new, then 12 years later it was recalled for frame corrosion issues. I took it to the dealer and after inspection they deemed it unsafe to drive. Toyota bought it back and gave me 2X the Blue Book Value plus a $2500. coupon towards purchase of a new one.

I don't believe any of the "Big 3" (GM, Ford, Chrysler) manufacturers would ever do that. They stand behind there products.

Lifelong Toyota fan here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6672DRIVER View Post
I guess I have to disagree. It is not just perception IMO, but reality. They are just better trucks. On my second one now (2012), with zero issues to date.
It's OK to disagree. Everyone will have their own opinion and experiences. I was in the industry as a technician for over 5 years when I finally had enough and went to school and got my engineering degree. Toyotas had problems just like all the others. Wiring issues, excessive oil consumption, airbags, frames, melting dashboards (that was an interesting one) and who can forget te accelerator pedal. BUT the big difference is how Toyota takes care of the customer. Other companies and for whatever reason especially the big 3 really run away from problems at the expense of losing customers, repeat business, and the hit to reputation. Toyota on the other hand makes lemonade out of lemons. Truck rusted in half and is totaled? Here's a voucher on our NEW BETTER truck. Still get the sale with a smaller profit, but still a sale and everybody's happy. Dash melted? Here's a new one, you'll come back for the next car. I think people forget their problems because they make their problems painless.

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 08:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Couldn't have said it better. My 06 Sierra got bought back as a lemon. They tried to fight it. Come on GM really , my truck was in the shop 18 times. They put 12 tires on it in just under 8000 miles. Big fight to get them to own it. Got a 07 Sierra and the paint fell off and the dash is busted all to hell. Can't say for sure I will buy another new, American made truck.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 10:24 PM
Team Member
Darin

I like the Tundras, 3 friends are converts from “American” trucks to Toyota, 1 buddy went to the Datsun. If toyota made a 3/4 ton gas I’d check it out when I buy new.
That’s said I bought my 2001 1/2 ton gmc z71 new in 2001, just got back from towing the Camaro to the Auto-x again. Been a great truck for 18 years. Nothing too bad, I did put a new trans in 1 weekend at around 70k miles. Lots of towing boats, dirt bikes, sand dunes...
It’s been meticulously maintined by me, maybe that helps.
That and I’m only at around 117k miles. Lol.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 05:46 AM
Tech Team
boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
My 2003 Tacoma Extra Cab 4x4 that I bought new now has 160,000 miles. V6 with 5-speed manual transmission. It's still running great and I intend to keep it for another 4 years before I consider a new one.

At 90k miles I upgraded the front disc brakes to the same era Tundra discs, calipers and pads. They are larger than stock Tacoma and it still stops really well. Camaro's aren't the only vehicles that can be upgraded.

The timing belt was replaced shortly thereafter. Virtually nothing else has been done other than oil changes, filter maintenance and once the plugs replaced. You know, the basic stuff.

One problem I have is at about 40 degrees Fahrenheit, when traveling at moderate speed without acceleration or deceleration I hear chirping under the truck. It stops if I accelerate of decelerate and seems to be in the driveshaft. It's a weird problem.
That chirp or squeak I also have in a chevelle. I cant locate it either and it happens above 40mph. Trouble with mine is, it's inconsistent and at times sounds like it's in the steering column or possible the 12 bolt. I gave up on trying to locate it and have turned the radio louder. heh heh. I have one shim in the rear that has dropped a bit on the passenger side but read that this is kind of typical, and likened the chirp to back there, but who knows?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 11:16 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

It's not just the Tacoma, but the whatever they were before the Tacoma and other Toyotaa. I've had four--two the before Tacoma, and a Tundra. I put a fuel pump on the 84 pickup, nothing on the 88, nothing on the 2000 Tacoma, and nothing on the 04 Tundra. Of course other than regular oil changes, timing belts, and maintenance type stuff like brake pads, batteries, etc. The first two I used for work and drove a lot in TX and southern California doing field service. Everyone drove Toyota pickups on that job because we got mileage and car allowance if we could haul the stuff we serviced.
I did have coworker in Houston who had a little Toyota pickup he hated because it wasn't as reliable. Another had about an 81 4x4 and put 500k on it--he drove everywhere for work.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 19, 12:10 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I have a 2008 Tundra 4x4 with a 8 inch lift and 37 inch tires. It had 126,000 miles on it and it drives like a new truck. There are not rattled sqeeks or interior parts cracking or falling off it. It runs and drives and looks so nice that when we bought our 2019 4x4 4 Runner the dealer offered up 18K for the Tundra. I passed, still own it and the we have the 3 Runner also.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode