• 1 Post By DT
  • 1 Post By davidpozzi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage
Hotchkins Tubular A-Arms

I have put my EFI project on hold and have moved on to my new A-Arms. I have the drivers side disassembled and I'm ready to install the new Arms. My question is on the shims on the upper A-Arms. Should I put the same amount of shims in that were there before

(4-front, 3-back), or does it matter, since it has to be aligned when I'm done.

Go big, or stay Home!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 06:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Re: Hotchkins Tubular A-Arms

It pretty much doesn't matter since you will need an alignment. But you might eyeball the wheel to vertical and shim accordingly.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
It pretty much doesn't matter since you will need an alignment. But you might eyeball the wheel to vertical and shim accordingly.

is that with the wheel on the ground?

Go big, or stay Home!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 06:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Yes, the weight of the car with engine on the suspension. Until then don't consider adding shims. I mean you can add shims if you want with no harm done. The alignment shop will settle it out.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 04:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I would start with the shims that are in it. You can set camber easily with a level but caster is a little more difficult. How far to the alignment shop? Could be a wicked ride.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 06:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

While it may be obvious, after you complete the installation and lower the car putting full weight on the suspension you'll want to move it sufficiently to let the front suspenson settle before making any measurements.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

It's less than a mile to the alignment shop.
On another note, wondering what the little tubes of silicone grease that came with the arms are for. Nowhere in the instructions does it indicate what these are used for. All of the bushings and ball joints have Zirk grease fittings.

Go big, or stay Home!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 08:41 AM
Team Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt's 68 SS/RS 396 View Post
It's less than a mile to the alignment shop.
On another note, wondering what the little tubes of silicone grease that came with the arms are for. Nowhere in the instructions does it indicate what these are used for. All of the bushings and ball joints have Zirk grease fittings.
Assembly grease, put it in and around your bushings.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt's 68 SS/RS 396 View Post
Likely grease for the poly A arm bushing (non petroleum based). Put liberally on the inside of the bushings before install.

Moving forward you will need to use this type of grease when you lube the A arms. It can be purchased in grease gun tubes. "Green" grease is also compatible with poly bushings and is low cost and typically available at most auto part stores
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 02:46 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Also check if Hotchkis has recommended Street alignment specs. I used Global West and the Tubular arms came with their specs. I drove to the alignment shop with no shims. Funny thing is the mechanic tells me we don't have those shims LOL. I had 2 bags of extra shims (new) I took with me.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

We ll this has been a tough job. All done except there are no big block header gaskets available till Monday.
If anyone is considering doing this. I would enlist some help. It's a battle by yourself. Came out pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7063.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	227073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7064.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	227075  

Go big, or stay Home!

Last edited by Milt's 68 SS/RS 396; May 19th, 19 at 12:05 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 11:16 PM
David Pozzi

Id put two 1/8” shims on each bolt. For an initial setting. Re check alignment after a few months or a year & monitor front ride height. If the front springs settle, the ride height will drop & even 1/2” can change the toe in setting due to bump steer. The car will toe out & wander.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
Id put two 1/8” shims on each bolt. For an initial setting. Re check alignment after a few months or a year & monitor front ride height. If the front springs settle, the ride height will drop & even 1/2” can change the toe in setting due to bump steer. The car will toe out & wander.
I put the shims back in as they were before I started. Three in front two in the back all 1/8". I'll drive it a bit before I have it aligned. I used the big block springs that were in there. I really don't want the front any lower than it is right now.

Go big, or stay Home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode