Rally Wheel Trim Ring - Which is Correct? - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 11, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Re: Rally Wheel Trim Ring - Which is Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemontvillage View Post
Brian, no confirmed part number as yet however I wasn't aware the GM part # was stamped anywhere on the trim rings?
Part number is NOT stamped in Ring. The original 4 clip part number is 3901708, and the later version with all the fingers ( serations ) is 9796696, it was availiable till about 3 years ago, it still prices but is stupid expensive, and it says discontinued. The later version is on ebay from time to time. The 4 clip style is also used on 67 Corvettes and they bring a premium also.
My 06A Z28 came with and still has the 4 clip style with the oval holes and the inner lip.

http://www.newgmparts.com/partlocato...&siteid=213815

enter 9796696 into the upper link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrol...item43ab5aa93c

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 11, 08:08 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemontvillage View Post
Brian, no confirmed part number as yet however I wasn't aware the GM part # was stamped anywhere on the trim rings?
No it was not. But it was stamped on the side of the Genuine GM Parts Box - brown cardboard box with aqua GM logo, black lettering and stamping. The part number was on a paper label on inside of the ring - affixed with rubber cement and meant to peal right off and most fell off before the box was ever opened. Then in later years a paper tag was floating loose inside the polybag with the ring inside the box - now some still brown and some made of white cardboard with aqua logo and black lettering.

So once you find the original part number and find a set on flea bay or other source you will have to see a decent closeup picture of all four rings if you want to be sure that the stem hole, and step as well as the clip type and mounting location of the clip are all correct for your build date, and that all four match.

A quick search of the part number Mike posted pulls this thread from Corvette forum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...mber-help.html

Maybe these would be correct?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RESTORED-COR...item4842e99e78

I wish you the best of luck in this quest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Dec 1st, 11 at 08:21 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 11, 09:51 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Maybe these would be correct?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RESTORED-COR...item4842e99e78

I wish you the best of luck in this quest.[/QUOTE]

Brian, Actually these are 15X8 trim rings for Corvette, the reason they will fit a 68 Corvette with 15X7 wheels is the Corvette 15X7 wheel is deeper/different offset. They also have the wrong Valve stem holes, Z28 uses a oval hole. These will not fit the YH wheel. Below are the correct rings which are assembly line correct. Also if you can find originals even with broken clips Corvette Central sells the clips now and also repo rings that look correct in the pictures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Camaro-...item35b625eb12

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 11, 10:03 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050G

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 08:57 AM
Apprentice
Frank

Any one know if the stepped rally trip ring is produced in 15x8? I have a complete set of 15x7s and wanted to try 15x8s on the back or do I have to convert to the rounded edge?
Thanks

68 Camaro Convertible
69 Firebird Convertible
64 Falcon Futura Sport Convertible
68 Firebird 350 H.O. 4sp.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIFLYR View Post
Any one know if the stepped rally trip ring is produced in 15x8? I have a complete set of 15x7s and wanted to try 15x8s on the back or do I have to convert to the rounded edge?
Thanks
Not that I'm aware of. I looked high & low for a couple years and gave up. Either deep dish rounded vette rings or the 15 x 7 stepped rings that come up a little shallow.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 07:52 PM
Tech Team
Tommy

Hey there -

If I could join this tread. Can anyone tell me the correct factory trim ring for a 1968 Camaro with 14x6 Rally wheels code XN (drum brakes all around) with a Mar/Apr/early May 1968 production date code? Many thanks. Tommy68
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 04:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

[QUOTE..... There are two correct numbers. Before recall and after recall. In the blurb below the superseded number is the part number before recall - the design with the "suicide" clips. The first number is the replacement design number with the improved and safer clip design.
.....[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be a horse's a$$, but I have never seen any documentation about a recall. If it was really a recall, then there should be almost ZERO trim rings out there with the four clips. I have a complete set on my 69 Z and several spares. If they were recalled, the owner would be notified and would take the car to the dealer where new ones would be installed, and the old ones turned back in to GM and crushed.

I have heard multiple stories on the "suicide" clip rings, ranging from ended production to recall to huge class action law suit. I am skeptical of all of those stories. I would be the first to admit I am wrong as soon as someone shows credible documentation. Not sure why some refer to them as "suicide" clips. I have never had one come off. I worked as a tech in the 70's and never had one customer complaint about losing one of those trim rings. I pulled off and put on a lot of them.

Apologies to the previous poster. I don't know the part number for the 14" rings, but guessing someone on here can come up with it. The four clip ring for my car (part #3901708) was used for at least 3 years and maybe more.

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode