Kwik Lift?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey, anybody used one of these?? http://www.kwiklift.com I saw one today...looks like a sweet set-up, just wondering if anybody has one or has used one, also interested in anything else out there they may be the same type lift, I don't want to spend a ton of money or have something that has to be permanently installed..........thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 02:26 PM
Senior Tech

A buddy of mine has one.It's probably the same brand.They are just the trick for detailing under the car,changing oil,etc.If you don't have the height for an above ground lift or the budget,this is the next best thing.I wish I had room in my garage for one..

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
71 Nova
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech
Don

SWEET!!!

Will that fit on Santa's sleigh?

Edit:
Heck forget Santa's sleigh... they are less than 20 miles from my door!

[This message has been edited by MytMini (edited 11-16-2002).]

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 05:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage
Re: Kwik Lift??

I wanted to revisit this old thread to see if anyone since has used them - Pros/cons. My pro-tour is so low, I can't even get a low profile jack under the front end unless I go from the side with the back on jack stands. Problem is the jack wants to roll sideways causing the back jackstands to buckle - not safe at all. I need to do something. Here is an updated link:
https://www.kwik-lift.com/products/kwik-lift/

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 06:40 AM
John

Garage

Don't really see the value in having one. Plus always in the way when not parked on it.

Why not just drive your cars front wheels onto a 2x6 then your low pro jack should work?
DT likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 08:01 AM
Team Member
Pat

Garage

Check out Quick Jack

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-systems.html

This is what I use because I do not have room for a lift.

1967 Camaro: True RS, Tribute SS, 350 290 HP, Muncie M20 4 SP, 12 Bolt Posi
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 08:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Don't really see the value in having one. Plus always in the way when not parked on it.

Why not just drive your cars front wheels onto a 2x6 then your low pro jack should work?
Tried that but I need something I can do by myself. My floor is epoxied and the boards slide. Kind of a pain to move everything to prop against the wall and I would hate to shoot it to the floor. Also looking for an alternative to jack stands - used them for years but now that I am older, I am more and more reluctant to climb under the car.
Another thought was to keep the car parked on it over the winter as a mouse deterrent - Make those suckers work for the prize lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrocket67 View Post
Check out Quick Jack

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-systems.html

This is what I use because I do not have room for a lift.
My exhaust comes out in front of my rear tire - not sure that would work unless packed out enough. Also not to keen on each side going up independently. What happens if one side fails?

572 BB - CM Engines
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 08:32 AM
John

Garage

https://raceramps.com/

These work great
pittpens24 likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 11:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Another option is a Scissor Lift. It'll take the car up about 48" and lock there. Thats a pretty handy height to do brake work, remove/swap wheels, wax the sides without squatting, and actually get under the car and sit on a roll-a-bout stool. Probably not so great for transmission work.

I've seen one in action up in New Hampshire when I was looking around for a car 4-5 years ago. Harbor Freight brand, I think it was $1200 with a coupon. But on a low car you definetly need a wooden ramp. Capacity is 6000# IIRC. They are quite heavy, and the fellow up in NH said he uses a ordinary hand truck to drag it around. So when you work under the motor you reverse it so the hydraulics are under the rear and vice versa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LiftShot-00.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	221987   Click image for larger version

Name:	LiftShot-01.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	221989  

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels

Last edited by 57vette; Oct 4th, 18 at 12:42 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 12:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

how much of the underbody is blocked with the scissor lift? it looks like it would be tough to get to allot under that car with all that there.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com/

this is what I'm seriously considering
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 12:38 PM
John

Garage

I had a 4 post in my Vegas house. Was great but was in the way when not using it and always had to park on or raise it and park under

With my new Florida house with high enough ceiling for a 4 post I decided on the maxijack so I can move and store it when not in use
Niblet likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 01:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I've had a Kwik-Lift for years. It has performed well and is a very durable piece. A good choice if you don't have the ceiling height. I do park on mine as it would be in the way otherwise and it's really too heavy to be moving around.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 03:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

[quote=57vette;1783093155]Another option is a Scissor Lift. It'll take the car up about 48" and lock there. Thats a pretty handy height to do brake work, remove/swap wheels, wax the sides without squatting, and actually get under the car and sit on a roll-a-bout stool. Probably not so great for transmission work.

The restoration shop had my car on one when I was at the point of making my exhaust. Was a major PITA to get any real measurements. The other thing about these is that they seem to lock at an awkward height for working under the car. Looking for something all around that will not be restricting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
I've had a Kwik-Lift for years. It has performed well and is a very durable piece. A good choice if you don't have the ceiling height. I do park on mine as it would be in the way otherwise and it's really too heavy to be moving around.
How is that center crossmember thing for raising the vehicle to take wheels off while on the lift? Ever use it? Is it in the way and more trouble than it's worth? Did you get the version with the casters so you could roll the car around?

572 BB - CM Engines
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 04:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

my issue is not just ceiling height but overall space. I'm jammed up in what the call an "oversized" one car garage. I'd have to measure but I'm thinking my whole space is about 12'x24' or so. i have room to open both doors all the way and if i pull the car in to where the rear bumper is right at the door I've got about 8' in front but my work bench / tool box and everything is there. the motorcycle has to live in the shed out back with the lawn mower and stuff. feel crummy about that. I'm not sure if i realistically have room for even the maxjax. running out of storage. really inconvenient and other than the garage, i love my house and property. don't want to move but i might have to build in the future......maybe I'll dig a pit...lol
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 04:31 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Honestly for the difference in price I'd go with the Max Jax!!!
Niblet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode