My Holley Sniper EFI / Hyperspark Experience - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

My Holley Sniper EFI / Hyperspark Experience

I recently finished the full install of the sniper EFI system, sniper fuel tank w/ internal fuel pump along with the hyperspark ignition and timing. Ultimately, I ordered everything from Holley and all in I'd say my total spend was around $2000. I also put in new plugs and wires. I choose the sniper set up because it seemed to get the best reviews and I also liked the simplicity of the plug and play system that comes with the hyperspark components. I am a novice and this was a big undertaking for me, but with all of the videos and support on the interwebs, it wasn't tough at all.

My camaro had a fairly stock 350 SBC that produces around 385 hp. The car has been sitting in a garage for about 15 years, but has been started and driven about twice a year. It was a daily driver for me when I was a teenager.

Based on the amount of time it had been sitting, I decided to put in the new fuel tank to simply eliminate the risk of having junk in the fuel tank ruin or clog the injectors and I was going to have to install a new fuel pump anyway...so why not just get the kit and have an internal fuel pump. As mentioned above, I really liked hyperspark's ability to control timing and ignition and I felt that overall it was a good upgrade for performance, reliability, and modernization. It has noticeably more power and from my standpoint, I expect it will enhance the driveability of the car as well. Over time I will probably work with the sniper software to "tune" the system specific to the car's performance.

The install went fine and i didn't run into any issues other than having to drill the CO2 sensor hole twice because I didn't account for the cross member in my measurement. I really took my time with the wiring and made sure I understood each wires purpose and thought through where I wanted everything located. I read through all of the instructions multiple times and made sure I knew what to expect. The #1 cylinder did have to be set at TDC on the compression stroke during install of the hyperspark distributor and I was nervous that I would make a mistake but after researching how to do it, it was simple enough.

Overall, I really cant complain about the system. Once I sent the engine parameters to the system it fired right up. During the first start couple of start ups, the engine idled high (around 1750 rpm) and backfired a time or two and the AFR reading was all over the place. I was concerned timing was off, but I tightened some of the exhaust fittings and that did the trick as some air must have been getting in and giving false AFR readings. After that adjustment, I've let the sniper learn and it continues to run better and better.

Of note, the throttle linkage on the sniper is a challenge and opens the secondaries way to early...they now have a simple "progressive" throttle link that is $11 on amazon and takes 3 minutes to install and makes a world of a difference. Highly recommend that addition.

I do plan to take the car to a muffler shop and have them weld in the CO2 bung when they install my new exhaust and I'll also have someone confirm timing is set at 15 degrees. That is one part of the install I did not confirm, but the car runs true but may need a minor timing adjustment. I may end up moving some of the wiring harnesses into the cabin and under the dash at some point to clean up the engine compartment.

Let me know if you have questions. Hopefully this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 12:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Re: My Holley Sniper EFI / Hyperspark Experience

Chad how about some pics of the install. Where did you route the fuel lines?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 06:42 PM
Team Member
Carl

Bump! I'd really like to hear an update.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 05:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Do you have a link to the throttle part you bought off of amazon?

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech
Travis

I bought my linkage from EFI System Pro - here
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

I went with a throttle lever extension rather than the progressive linkage. The throttle extension solves the problem of the hard/touchy pedal and requires no re-programming. While the Sniper "supports" the progressive linkage there is some work you have to do on the fuel and acceleration enrichment. With the extension you don's need to change the fuel map at all.

I will say though, I am boosted so I have a bonnet on the throttle body rather than an air cleaner. The extension may interfere with some drop base air cleaners.

I listed part numbers in post #125 on page 13 here. https://forums.holley.com/showthread...-Better/page13

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 19, 03:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Of note, the throttle linkage on the sniper is a challenge and opens the secondaries way to early...they now have a simple "progressive" throttle link that is $11 on amazon and takes 3 minutes to install and makes a world of a difference. Highly recommend that addition.

I just installed that same progressive linkage from EFI System PRO. Wow what a difference! The throttle is so buttery smooth now at take off. It used to be extremely difficult not to burn the tires every time I took off from a dead stop because of how stiff the throttle was with the secondaries opening off idle. The re-programming is super easy. The directions they give you are excellent step by step. I am a complete amateur and this was easy. This is a must do. I have no idea why Holley doesn't offer this for their Sniper.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode