Mmmmkay so this happened - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 6:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Mmmmkay so this happened

I just bought this. Yeah it’s RHD and the pedals are so close together I had to take my shoes off and drive with my toes, but it tried to rip my face off and I still have a giant **** eating grin two days later.

1992 Caterham Super 7 with 128 HP 1.4L Rover K-series. Doesn’t sound like much but it weighs 1100 lbs. 0-60 takes about 5 seconds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300B8645-3D24-4609-9854-14C0C938830F_1558995263097.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	594468  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 6:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: Mmmmkay so this happened

Looks like fun and street legal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 9:32 AM
Tech Team
John

Always wanted one of those
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 10:43 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Dude, when I was 17 I helped my boss blueprint his Cosworth Twin Cam. Many upgrades including custom ground cams. That thing SCREAMED in his Super 7. Claimed it was good for over 200 HP. HP/Weight ratio was INSANE!

SO yeah, I shared that grin after its shakedown cruise! With slicks on, 0-60 was NOT 5 seconds! He ran the 1/8 at the local dragstrip and went 7.50s if I recall, even though its real duty was autocross.
joeyv69ragtop likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Dude, when I was 17 I helped my boss blueprint his Cosworth Twin Cam. Many upgrades including custom ground cams. That thing SCREAMED in his Super 7. Claimed it was good for over 200 HP. HP/Weight ratio was INSANE!

SO yeah, I shared that grin after its shakedown cruise! With slicks on, 0-60 was NOT 5 seconds! He ran the 1/8 at the local dragstrip and went 7.50s if I recall, even though its real duty was autocross.
I mainly bought it for track days, but I'm going to probably autocross it too. I suspect it turns faster than I can think or react, so I'll have a learning curve.

This thing screams with 128 hp, I can't imagine it with 200 or 300.

This one has a Rover K-series 1.4 with a 5 speed. It's a very light engine and probably gives the car the best balance. The owner had an HPC version with a Vauxhall twin cam (175 HP) and said this one was more agile because the Vauxhall weighs about 100# more. But since the car is basically a mid engine design, they're all probably pretty good :-)
427L88 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 11:49 AM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Does anyone make Super 7 sized fireproof Ballet slippers?
427L88 and Bow_Tied like this.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 1:57 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Played with a few Lotuses way back when, but not with a Caterham. Boss wouldnt let me run the A/C course in his ride, so the lead machnist let me try with his Triumph TR frame A/C racer. ( like 60 HP) IT WAS A BLAST! You are going to have fun Andy! I like the A/C courses.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 1:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

I went to the factory. Got a test ride with a Mazda rotary based 7.. grinning ear to ear for about a month..not a Radical, but for the street? Oh yes...

My car is here:

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 2:11 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

That will be a real fun toy.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 12:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I've taken a liking to the idea of those, never got to play with one. Color me jealous.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 19, 7:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Got it home last night. Got the insurance and plates squared away today. Took it for a drive.

Much fun was had by all except Mrs69 who burned her leg on the exhaust.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 9:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
Got it home last night. Got the insurance and plates squared away today. Took it for a drive.

Much fun was had by all except Mrs69 who burned her leg on the exhaust.
That is good, except for the burn. Keep any polyester pants away from it, that will melt onto the skin! Hope she is OK, and still likes it.
Molly's 70 likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 11:59 AM
Gold Member
Gene

OUCH! She now has a new found respect for the lil beasty! Too much fun though, aint it?

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 3:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
OUCH! She now has a new found respect for the lil beasty! Too much fun though, aint it?
She was hanging on, for sure. I think I have a permanent grin.

I'm going to try to get it to Huntsville this weekend for the Tennessee Valley Region autocross.
427L88 likes this.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 4:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Mrs. 69 must be the best wife ever! Hope the burn wasn't to bad. I prefer Neosporin w/pain relief. I weld full time.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in