garage lighting - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 1:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
garage lighting

My 2 car garage needs help in the lighting department. i like LED's so there is really no talking me down on those, but what kind of fixtures? LED tube fixtures like the florescent tube type? Anybody put fixtures high on the wall instead of on the ceiling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 1:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Re: garage lighting

I hung 2 of these above my work bench, and was so impressed, I went back to the store and bought 8 more to replace all the lights in my shop.

https://www.menards.com/main/lightin...27837&&ipos=75

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 1:37 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

I removed 4 8ft florescent single tube fixtures and replaced them with 8 4ft LED twin bulb fixtures. Aint never going back.
The downside is slow/no start below 0 deg. Of course, fluorescent is lame at those temps too.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 2:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
I hung 2 of these above my work bench, and was so impressed, I went back to the store and bought 8 more to replace all the lights in my shop.

]
Do you have pull chains on all of them? Or are they hard wired in with a switch. Ive had a cheaper pull string light in a laundry area and not too long later the pull string chain breaks inside the unit. I've since wired it to an added wall switch. Also, Some of those white lights are too bright. Hurts your eyes if not expected when you turn them on.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 2:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
Do you have pull chains on all of them? Or are they hard wired in with a switch. Ive had a cheaper pull string light in a laundry area and not too long later the pull string chain breaks inside the unit. I've since wired it to an added wall switch. Also, Some of those white lights are too bright. Hurts your eyes if not expected when you turn them on.
They're on a switch.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 3:55 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Dan,
Go over to the Garage Journal site and check out the "Lighting and electrical" forum. Enough info there to keep you going for a month Make sure and look at the very first sticky post. The guy who started it does lighting layout design for a living. Tons of great info.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
blm and davewho1 like this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 4:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I bought 2 2 tube LED 4' long with 3 light settings low, med & high with a pull chain from Sams Club for $25.99 or $29.99 ea., put them on low and plenty of light to walk around, med or high when working on something made by Honeywell

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 5:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

If you go LED, avoid anything above 4,100K in color at all costs. Those so-called 'daylight' colors are annoying and too harsh. The best color for your lighting is from 3,500K to 4,100K.
70SSTHUMPER likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 7:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

My garaged had two 48" two-bulb flourescent tube fixtures... I think the balast was starting to go bad on one, so I decided to go with the Feit 48" two-bulb LED shop light, from Costco.

They were on sale for a super low price ($12-$15 each?), so I picked up a pair. I hardwired then into the garage wiring, so they are on the same switch as the old lights were...

But then I added two more lights; one by the workbench and another over by the "Chevelle" stuff... Those two additional are just plugged into the first two, so they are all controlled by the same switch. But I keep the additional two turned off (via a pull chain), except when I need the extra light for working...

Overall, much nice that before, especially with the 4 sets on...

68-13427 likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 10:39 PM
Tech Team

Garage

[QUOTE=1966_L78;11096878]My garaged had two 48" two-bulb flourescent tube fixtures... I think the balast was starting to go bad on one, so I decided to go with the Feit 48" two-bulb LED shop light, from Costco.

They were on sale for a super low price ($12-$15 each?), so I picked up a pair. I hardwired then into the garage wiring, so they are on the same switch as the old lights were...

But then I added two more lights; one by the workbench and another over by the "Chevelle" stuff... Those two additional are just plugged into the first two, so they are all controlled by the same switch. But I keep the additional two turned off (via a pull chain), except when I need the extra light for working...

Overall, much nice that before, especially with the 4 sets on...

That's exactly what I did and having the pull chains to isolate the light is very cost effective as well. Mine were from amazon for $29. Bought 12 and should have done it way back when.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 7:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
If you go LED, avoid anything above 4,100K in color at all costs. Those so-called 'daylight' colors are annoying and too harsh. The best color for your lighting is from 3,500K to 4,100K.
I'm with you on that one. I put LED's in everything i can, and i always check the color. 4,000K is max, after that, i think they look horrible. 6500K makes my head hurt and i want to throw up.

Is it silly to think i can position lights to have a decent amount of light in the engine compartment with the hood up?
I have yet to totally accessorize my garage with cordreels and all that fun stuff.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 7:47 AM
Tech Team

Garage

2 of my lights are mounted just above the garage door, so I get light into the eng compt . The pull chain just clears the door and this is an 8'ceiling and 7' door. Of course the door has to be down to get the light to the engine. Works well. Seldom need the trouble light.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 8:03 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
My 2 car garage needs help in the lighting department. i like LED's so there is really no talking me down on those, but what kind of fixtures? LED tube fixtures like the florescent tube type? Anybody put fixtures high on the wall instead of on the ceiling?
I used these in my shop.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lithonia-Li...-in/1000410793
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 6:24 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Ok so here is a general question. I. A standard two car 21 x 23 garage how many two light fixtures would you use? 4 maybe 6? Or would 6 be light overkill? Right now I have two double tube Florescents and a single bulb standard florescent about 4 ft from the bank k wall where most of the storage is. It lights up that area ok. But when two cars are in the garage the rest is very poorly lit. Would like to redo the entire garage but start with the ligbting.
Also what about wiring them to two separate adjacent switches? There are plenty of times I go into the garage for a minute or two and would only need the back set on
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 6:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I just bought one of these for over my bench.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...I-BL/300951323

I have 3 LED can lights + 2 led light bulbs in the garage door opener + the above mentioned soon to be installed work light in my almost 800 sqft garage. I would swap the florescent lamps for the equivalent led lamps in your current fixtures. A small wiring change to bypass the ballast is required. Its a lot cheaper than buying new fixtures.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in