Advice on building a fiberglass hood - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Alex

Advice on building a fiberglass hood

So I’ve been doing small projects on my car waiting for the funds to finish getting the body back together. It’s looking like I’ll have the car on a rotisserie and be able to make progress on the body this fall.

In the meantime I’m considering building my on fiberglass hood. I’m aware that I won’t save any money doing it myself. I’ll very likely spend just as much or more doing it myself vs ordering one from a manufacturer.

So far I’ve located a flat hood and will be driving down to look at it this weekend. I plan to order an l88 scoop from summit, and fabricate louvers to go on either side from foam.

I have several questions for expirenced glass guys. I know I’ll need tooling gel coat for the mold. Can I also use tooling gel coat for the hood? I figure a gallon would be sufficient for both mold and hood and if I can use the same for both it would save me some cash. I also plan to use 2 oz mat for the hood. How many layers do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 11:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Advice on building a fiberglass hood

I've run a fiberglass hood, but never made one. I knew a guy years ago that tried to do one for a Nova and I think he had more cash in glassing the mold than a simply buying a hood. Even so, if you want to do it go for it. On the iBoats forum there are a lot of guys glassing old boats. Lots of info on which mesh, thickness, weave, or chop to use. How to make "creamy peanut butter" versus "chunky peanut butter" for glassing in your wood members and when to use construction adhesive. Info about resin versus epoxy (first one cost less but requires respirators), and where to buy supplies on line at low cost. Lots of tips too like pot time, how to deal with amine blush, and so on. Having done only small amounts of glass and small amounts of epoxy work, I'll suggest that you will go through more supplies like mixing cups, staring sticks, rubber gloves, acetone and other sundries than you think. Find a way to buy this stuff a ahead and in bulk so you can keep your costs down.

Zeke

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
90 Corvette ZR1
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 2:04 AM Thread Starter
Alex

Thanks for your input. That site is a wealth of fiberglass information. I’ve picked up a flat Malibu hood today to start building the plug. The louvers on either side of the scoop will be the biggest hurtle to overcome I think. On my next days off from the drilling rig, I hope to make them out of foam and pull a mold just for the louvers. Then glass them and the scoop in to the hood.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 2:16 AM Thread Starter
Alex

My end goal is something similar to this picture I found on the web, but with an l88 hood scoop and fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17570131-46A9-4D6B-AC35-BFF8987373E7_1563084987506.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	598220  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in