396 New engine start up issue. - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

6Likes
  • 2 Post By Jim's69Ragtop
  • 1 Post By 68SuperSport*
  • 2 Post By Robinls5
  • 1 Post By 68SuperSport*

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 6:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

396 New engine start up issue.

Ok. So my 396 engine is new, the engine harness is new, and of course all the accessories are new as well. Here's the issue- when I start the motor,I get the temp idiot light coming on within 2 minutes of it running. I have another temp switch for the Holley Sniper kit in the manifold and it's only reading about 150-160. . Also here's a pic of the header on the side.driver's side. Note the rear header discoloration, is that from coolant leaking in or just the paint burning off?. If I put the infrared gun on the heads what should the normal temps be? Also, could it be an air bubble? I forgot to drill a hole in the tstat when I installed it.

I just don't want to run it too long at this point till I know if there's an issue or not
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190412_170235_1555106575074.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	591436  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 6:36 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: 396 New engine start up issue.

Hi -

Are you sure your temperature sensor is for an idiot light and not a gauge? If it's for a gauge, then the brightness of the light would change as the resistance changes vs. on/off.

jim
Pioneer4x4 and 68SuperSport* like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 7:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I was going to suggest a small hole in your thermostat. That tip works wonders.

I have aimed my laser at several engines, although (for some reason) never the 396 in my '69 Chevelle. The 350 in my '76 Chex PU reads between 180* and 190* when aimed at the head near the spark plugs.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 7:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's69Ragtop View Post
Hi -

Are you sure your temperature sensor is for an idiot light and not a gauge? If it's for a gauge, then the brightness of the light would change as the resistance changes vs. on/off.

jim
You know what, you may be on to something as it kinda starts out dim and then gets brighter.. Maybe it is for a guage... I'll have to recheck it.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 12:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Just so you know. The " TEMP" sender I have in my LS-5 Trl. Queen is for a 1970 with gauges. When I start the 454 all is well as the engine comes up to operating temp, GEE,,, Guess What.
As the water temp goes up, The bulb gets a bit brighter & brighter. Then another GEE ! When the water gets real warm the light gets real bright.
Just goes to show you, The sender is wrong and the lite is bright, Then again the light is bright BUT the owner " ME "....... Aint to bright.
Time for an ELVIS tune.......... " RETURN THAT SENDER".
Bob
VinceS427bb and 68SuperSport* like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 7:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks guys, that was the issue.. I'm starting to find that it's better to look up my own parts before going to my local parts store. On a side note- I remember it doesn't seem to long ago I could walk in to any parts house and get things like PCV valves, temp and oil senders, etc... Now it's all ordered in.

I ran the car today long enough for the motor to get warmed up and to discover the heater core didn't survive the time this car has been sitting..

Oh well, drained the coolant and plugged it off for another day. Texas summer is coming and I'm not really worried about the heater for now. Hopefully it will time for a test drive by this weekend.
davewho1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in