71 SS454 upgrades - Page 6 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 93 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 18, 9:51 PM
Tech Team
Jack

Re: 71 SS454 upgrades

From one '71 SS 454 owner to another...
That is sweet...I am so impressed...Great stuff...
-SS454- likes this.

It's better to burn out than to just fade away - Neil Young

1971 Chevelle SS 454

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 93 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 18, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReilly View Post
Could swear there are adjustments you can make to change the pressure. But that could be more on your pressure plate design and how many clutch disks you have.
There are several things that affect leg effort.

1) is pressure plate as you mentioned. But I have an RXT twin disc which are known to be very easy to push.

2) Master cylinder bore size. I went with the slightly larger 13/16 to reduce pedal throw for quicker shifts. Based on the math, this should have about 16% heavier leg effort than the traditional 3/4 bore MC. Depending on other variables, that should be about 6-9 lbs of leg effort increase, which isn't that bad.

3) clutch pedal ratio. It's interesting that all the companies I'm dealing with will now say they want a 6:1 pedal ratio, which they should all know isn't the case in a factory 68-72 Chevelle. I think our cars deal with closer to 4:1

4) Rod alignment. Ideally you want a perfectly straight rod engagement into the master cylinder with no flex. I know mine isn't perfect, but I felt like i got it pretty close. Can be seen in previous posts in this thread. I will work on trying to improve.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #78 of 93 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 18, 3:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I don't know if anyone watched the videography of the install, but I'll post up the vids up to this point anyways.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:

post #79 of 93 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 18, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Since the clutch pedal broke, I could work on some other projects. I made the vanity panels that go over my botched speaker cover holes. I also finished the aluminum console plate and did the brushed aluminum myself.

DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #80 of 93 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 1:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

To control some cabin heat, I put some heat reflective sticky sheets on the underside of the floor above the headers. I first only did the drivers side, and found the floor to be about 20-25F cooler. Not bad for a few rectangles.

I then painted and lined the transmission tunnel.

I then had the transmission tunnel welded up. I'm happy with the result, however it melted the vent tube and now I have a leak.

Cool It Thermo Tec sound/heat mat. I tried to use the minimum amount and still be effective. A noticeable reduction in noise with the matting and carpet instead. Clutch is still ridiculously noisy though. I'd say I put about 6.5 lbs of mat down tops, which is reasonable.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #81 of 93 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 18, 6:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

About to pull the trigger on a carbon fiber hood and trunk lid. I think I'm going with a gloss finish as it will be some time before I paint it.

$$$$$$$ but it's good weight savings.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #82 of 93 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 1:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

New body mount bushings, motor mounts, and transmission mounts. Need a bit more clearance and less flex to keep the driveshaft from hitting the floor.

Already got started and the cage bolt came loose at the firewall. I think I am going to need to remove the front inner fender to hold it so I can remove the bolt.
Dan65ss likes this.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #83 of 93 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 1:39 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

At the firewall, The nuts are loose (not caged), So you'd need to put a wrench on them anyway.

97/04 Toyota Tacoma Hybrid 4 door pickup Rockcrawler

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)
post #84 of 93 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 4:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserttaco View Post
At the firewall, The nuts are loose (not caged), So you'd need to put a wrench on them anyway.
know of any easier way other than pulling the whole inner fender?

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #85 of 93 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 5:18 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Since I've owned my car, It's never had the front fenders on it. So I can't offer any advise.

97/04 Toyota Tacoma Hybrid 4 door pickup Rockcrawler

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)
post #86 of 93 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

of course the body mount kit came mispackaged, so I have to wait to finish that. But I am quite happy the engine mount was able to slide in without lifting the engine out.

deserttaco likes this.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #87 of 93 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 1:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I modified the gas tank baffling with these 3 little holes to try and keep fuel inside the cylinder and around the pump. I was getting starvation around left handed corners with lower fuel, so maybe this will help.

I also adjusted the screen/sock to be nearly touching the floor of the tank. Again, hoping to keep the fuel pump inlet happy. If this doesn't work, I will have to change pumps and get a hydramat style sock.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #88 of 93 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 1:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

As mentioned in another thread. Found binding on my clutch master cylinder piston. So I checked alignment and it was off a bit. Changed to a 3/4 MC and fixed the alignment and was disappointed to feel not much improvement on the clutch pedal. Quite frankly, I kind of expected that result, but I was hopeful.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #89 of 93 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 1:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I installed a micro switch at the clutch pedal for my 2 step. The FiTech is supposed to have it built in, so I wired this into the FiTech "AC" wire.

Also, I have done some weight reduction my alternator bracket. I actually think it looks pretty cool. Saved a few once haha.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #90 of 93 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 5:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Converted the FiTech to timing control. Once installed, playing with the timing curve is pretty straight forward and quite enjoyable. Some dyno time might be required in the near future. I made a video of the entire install.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in