Time for more of the back story.
When I was in college I had met a guy who professed to have body skills and a love of old cars. We were in the process of creating a factory-appearing steel cowl induction hood in this time, using a rust free 64 flat hood and a rusty cowl hood from a 69 Camaro. I was running my car hoodless due to the intake I had chosen and the adapter that was necessary for the carb. Didn't want to cut a hole in my matching painted hood.
Eventually I picked up some 28x9 slicks and started pulling some better E.T.'s, down in the low 13's with 60' times less than 2 seconds.
Among other things life had brought to me I had become a homeowner, and needed to make some room in the garage, so I had ordered a shed from Sears. My closest is about 25 miles away. I was notified when it came in, and decided to run up and pick it up in my Camino, the closest thing I owned to a truck. This was in June 1999. I had my son with me, he was 3 months old at the time. Babyseat was all buckled in the passenger seat and off we went. Made it about 4 miles from home and something went wrong. the engine wasn't running right. It still felt strong, though, so rather than call for a tow, I turned around and headed home.
Upon removing the valve covers I found that the inexpensive roller rockers I had bought had a pin work its' way out of the roller tip and come down on the retainer and released the intake valve on one cylinder. I pulled the head and found that I had gotten away with no damage to the piston, but the valve was bent. I had my machine shop replace the valve, but during the interim, I had found a set of rectangle port heads for sale on the internet. Gotta have those, right?
So I stepped up and bought these "LS6" heads, supposedly needed springs, and ready to run. Took them to the machine shop, 10 out of the 16 valves were bent, valve guides were worn out and they weren't hard seated as advertised. More money spent. New guides, hard seated, 16 new valve since he couldn't match the old ones and I supplied the springs recommended with the cam. Obviously needed to change the cam too. Real high performance cars run solid cams, so I ordered a blueprint grind of something, was supposed to be 425 hp 427, .520 lift, 242*@.050.
But the carpet was original, tattered and dyed. Might as well pull it out too. And the wiring was giving me trouble. It had been hacked on by every previous owner who needed an aftermarket stereo and a CB. And for some reason I don't remember now I pulled off all the front sheetmetal, too.
So it sat. Disassembled. I had no money. I had no time. I had a little boy now, who was good for a couple hour naps in the afternoons. I was working a lousy graveyard shift at the lumber mill. I found a little time to work on the hood now and then, but that was about it. Then we had another baby on the way. Needless to say, not much work was getting done. I wanted to, but couldn't find the time or money. Wife and I worked opposite shifts to save on child care, but that hurt our relationship. Not much after my daughter was born in 2001, we split.
Somewhere in there, I had found the funds to purchase a wiring kit from Painless. I was very intimidated when I opened the box and had the huge coil of wires. First one friend, then another had started to install it, but in time I got frustrated in waiting and decided to go after it myself. I didn't have any clue what I was doing when I started, but once I got to looking at it one wire at a time, This One Needs To GO Here, it made sense after a while. Using a low power soldering iron, I didn't leave any butt connectors in it.
As time went on, I met a lovely young lady who encouraged my automotive hobbies and I was able to make further progress. Another thing I had been working on was aftermarket gauges in the stock housing. I had taken the existing panel and cut it out from the back and added a 1/4" sheet of aluminum cut to shape with a full set of aftermarket gauges, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to stick for more than a short time. Eventually I ran across a company called Haneline, who offered custom molded dashes to fit a 64-65, in engine turned, but only offered smaller gauge openings. I gave them a call and talked to them, requesting what I had tried to build, and they agreed, but wanted m=to measure mine as samples. When I asked about matching trim for the glovebox, again, they wanted a sample, but it came out just right.
Another thing I had done in the down time was to install Dynamat on the entire floor. I did it over a period of nights one winter, cutting every piece to fit, and that stuff doesn't bend or contour well when it's cold! I don't have any pics of it, but I drove it that way for several years.
I finally got it back together ienough to drive in the spring of 2006. 7 years off the road was a long time and I was very excited to be able to drive it again. I had a solid lifter 427, M21, 4.56 12 bolt posi and had greatly missed driving my car.