1964 Chevelle - widest rear wheel? - Chevelle Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?
Sponsored by:Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 1:22 PM Thread Starter

1964 Chevelle - widest rear wheel?

HI,
I have a custom 1964 Chevelle that my dad and I are building together, all of the paint and body is done, the interior is done, and the Wilwood disc brake conversion is done. We want to do an 18" front wheel and a 20" rear wheel, but want to put the widest rear wheel and tire in the back that we can. Our local wheel shop is telling us that we can fit a 265x45x10 in the back with 5 3/4 back spacing, this sound aggressive to me? i have seen most people putting a 255 on a 9" wheel in the back. any recommendations?
We also have 2" lower spindles on the front at this point (will likely lower it some more) and stock rear suspension thus far but plan to drop it about 3" in rear.
lastly, the car has a stock 10 bolt rear end, the car is a work in progress. eventually we will drop an LS motor in and a new rear end...

thank you,

RYan,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 3:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage
Re: 1964 Chevelle - widest rear wheel?

I have 275’s in the rear on my 64. Have had on both 9” and 8” wide rims. But it takes a perfect centered wheel.
A friend had 285/40-17 in the back of his 65 on 10” wide rims but he has rolled the lips.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 5:26 PM Thread Starter

did you have to do any modifications to fit a 275? narrow the rear end? any trimming?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 6:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Turnquist View Post
did you have to do any modifications to fit a 275? narrow the rear end? any trimming?
No need for modifications to fit a 275 tire it needs a perfect centered rim, but I had my rear narrowed anyway so I could run wheels with less backspace since I like the look.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 6:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu ss 64 View Post
No need for modifications to fit a 275 tire it needs a perfect centered rim, but I had my rear narrowed anyway so I could run wheels with less backspace since I like the look.
what would the perfect backspacing be?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 6:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Turnquist View Post
what would the perfect backspacing be?
I think 5” backspace if rims are 8” wide and 5.5” if 9” with oem 64 rearend widht, not sure I would try to fit a 10” rim without modifications like mini tubing. Theres a wheel a tire data base on top of this page check what 64 and 65 owner run and meassure before you order wheel is my best advice. Is the rear centered its not uncommon thats its 0,5-1” off to one side.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 7:11 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Also beware of what you are doing to car. Many of the figures mentioned here are for mainly drag or regular street driving. Sounds like you are going to do some handling here which puts another dynamic in play - the rear moves around a lot and or tire angle going in a turn. Also I agree with guy above these rears aren't always centered which further complicates things. If you are doing handling make sure you get good bushings and other equipment to minimize side to side movement. Also remember these low sidewall tires have very little leeway as far as rim size versus the old 15 inch rims which have a much wider rim size margin like say a 275 tire in a 15 inch could do say a 7 to 9+ inch rim while a 275 in a 20 inch rim may only be like a 9-10 inch approved rim.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 7:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you,
I appreciate the input.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 11:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
chad Peterson

I haven’t been on here for a while, lol! I just went through all of this on my 64. When I built it 8 years ago I loved nothing but the old school welds & wouldn’t have it any other way. I still love that look but decided to have a set of full custom wheels made from Bonspeed. I did 18x8 in the front with 5 3/8”BS & 19x10 in the rear with 6” BS. 235/40’s up front & 275/35’s out back. I have a fab9 housing that I had narrowed a bit, but regardless it needs to be centered in the well. I don’t have much clearance & my lips are cut down. I have 3/8 of an inch on the inside to the frame & 3/8 on the outside. I also worked the inner well pretty good to make me comfortable. I took it out yesterday & beat on it pretty hard with no rubbing!

64 Chevelle street car
509 Straub solid roller
Lots of Team Chevelle
Influence 👍🏻
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in