What HEI to get - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion. Advertisement

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

What HEI to get

I’ve been looking at the summit HEI to replace my old points style. They seem to have pretty good reviews and a reasonable price. Any thoughts or recommendations? Not looking to break the bank though. Also do they need an additional harness?

Also what plugs do you guys recommend for a mildly built 327?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 12:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Re: What HEI to get

ACDelco 93440806 GM Original Equipment Ignition Distributor, $167.99 at Summit.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 6:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
ACDelco 93440806 GM Original Equipment Ignition Distributor, $167.99 at Summit.
That's what I have in my 327. good so long as you weren't after a small body HEI.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 7:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Do not do what I did. I bought a CHEEEEEPPPP H.E.I. and I was BROKE down all the time. Three times in one year and it ate modules.
Then I bought a new G.M. --H.E.I., Now and then I look to see if it is still in the engine. 39.000 miles in my 468 and many years of PERFECT service.
For a cruiser ,,driver or any hot rod.
A New G.M. --H.E.I. its the KATZ AZZ !
Bob
Also:
Wires that are black and fit PERFECT,, I used B.Block Suburban wires from
G.M. Pre made in correct lengths for a B.B. Looks dang near stock!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 8:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I have whatever the stock HEI that came with the ZZ4 back in 1996. It may even still have the same cap from then on it. Currently has somewhere around 33,000 miles on it over 20+ years. I plan on putting a small cap computer HEI from the 1990 donor truck I got the serpentine setup from, and having my FiTech control it.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Im running Pertronix' in my two BBs.
Been a couple years now,no problems yet.

GenVI 454,Autogear M-22W,Moser 12 w/3.42s

'67 Malibu,468 w/TH400

Project-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:19 AM
Tech Team

Garage

I have a summit HEI in my car its seems to be fine . I have also switched to a pertroninx in my old jet boat and LOVED it ! I have a good friend that is pretty knowledgeable and He really likes the DUI HEI .

72 Malibu Family Fun Car
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 4:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Great thanks for the help guys, I think I'll look into getting the ACDelco. I don't think I need a small body HEI, its a 327 with double hump heads, edebrock intake and carb

Any recommendations for plugs? Ive seen people run ACDelco as well or platinum plugs

Also, do I need the addition hardness for wiring?

1970 Chevelle
327/TH350, Bear 13" front, 12" rears, UMI upper/lower A arms, UMI front 1.25 sway bar, UMI rear upper/lower control arms, Ridetech drop spindle, Viking coilovers front/rear, 12 bolt, work in progress
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 4:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony70Chevelle View Post
Great thanks for the help guys, I think I'll look into getting the ACDelco. I don't think I need a small body HEI, its a 327 with double hump heads, edebrock intake and carb

Any recommendations for plugs? Ive seen people run ACDelco as well or platinum plugs

Also, do I need the addition hardness for wiring?
Run a power wire from the IGN terminal on your fuse block to the positive on the HEI - that's pretty much it. It's all self contained, so hook up is easy. As for spark plugs, I would just run whatever GM called for on your engine originally and gap them no more than .045 (.035 - .040 works on my 377).
OLDED likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 5:04 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I've had a used GM distributor from a ? (my parts stash) for around thirty years in my 69 396. I did replace the cap and rotor several years ago.

Probably hard to find a junkyard one these days though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Do not do what I did. I bought a CHEEEEEPPPP H.E.I. and I was BROKE down all the time. Three times in one year and it ate modules.
Then I bought a new G.M. --H.E.I., Now and then I look to see if it is still in the engine. 39.000 miles in my 468 and many years of PERFECT service.
For a cruiser ,,driver or any hot rod.
A New G.M. --H.E.I. its the KATZ AZZ !
Bob
Also:
Wires that are black and fit PERFECT,, I used B.Block Suburban wires from
G.M. Pre made in correct lengths for a B.B. Looks dang near stock!
Was that the one that got all the bad reviews?

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
Run a power wire from the IGN terminal on your fuse block to the positive on the HEI - that's pretty much it. It's all self contained, so hook up is easy. As for spark plugs, I would just run whatever GM called for on your engine originally and gap them no more than .045 (.035 - .040 works on my 377).
Ok thank you. How about wiring a tach?

1970 Chevelle
327/TH350, Bear 13" front, 12" rears, UMI upper/lower A arms, UMI front 1.25 sway bar, UMI rear upper/lower control arms, Ridetech drop spindle, Viking coilovers front/rear, 12 bolt, work in progress
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 11:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

A tach is pretty straight forward - hot, ground, tach lead (from tach output on HEI), and light. Hook the light lead to the LPS terminal on your fuse block.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 11:09 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony70Chevelle View Post
Ok thank you. How about wiring a tach?
There’s a spot for a tach wire on the cap next to the power wire terminal...

72 SS 402/4 speed/Straub roller and a bunch of Duramaxes.....
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 12:23 AM
Tech Team

Pertronix III for a couple of years now in my stock points distributor, zero issues runs great.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 9:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I got a procomp one as a gift brand new from family, they are not car people but herd I was looking for a new dist. It did fine at first then had a random misfire after sitting for a month. I took it apart went through it and the housing was real nice, the vacuum canister was adjustable and did work fine. The pick up that came with it ohmed weird and was all over the place, I took a old computer controlled HEI off the shelf and stripped it used the gear and pic up from that Hei. Basically I had to rebuild the new unit with GM factory parts from a distributor I had on the shelf to get it to function to my liking. I have several OEM HEI's on the shelf, some work some are wore out but I have parts when I need them.

I have used the summit brand before and never had a problem with it, sold the car it was in so no long term use.
As for small cap I always us the cardon brand, their pickup can ohm funny though at times so have had to exchange one or 2 but they are life time warrenty and they are all just rebuilt factory units, not sure who makes their pickups though.

78 Malibu, 402, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, Hoosier 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1600cc.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in