• 1 Post By RAMBO
  • 1 Post By 658Chevy
  • 1 Post By 658Chevy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 8:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Opinion on upgrading interior

This winter I want to install TMI seats and door panels. My interior is practically new and in perfect condition. I like the idea of more modern style seats with the side bolsters and like the look of TMI.

My question is would I better off pulling the covers and padding off mine and replacing with the TMI or selling my entire interior and buying complete new assembly's from TMI. Not sure what I could get for mine being it is in MINT condition, back seat never even sat on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 8:59 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: Opinion on upgrading interior

Pat,
My suggestion would be to find someone that has the seats you want and at very least sit in them or possibly ride in them. You might want to survey several people that have those big bolster seats. I seem to recall someone with those complaining about the foam being stiff and ride height was very high.
Might not be same thing but earlier this year we traded in a 2012 Buick Regal GS. It had high bolster seats which appear similar to the Chevelle seats I've seen. They were ok but not anything special.
I also think several different manufacturers are making those sport seats with the high bolsters. IIRC even Legendary has covers and foam with the big bolsters.
Might be cheaper (and better seats) to get seats out of a newer Camaro and have 70 Chevelle seat covers made for them. Or any GM sport car for that matter. All probably have the same seats.
Steve R and NickeyChevelle like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Yep gonna do some research this summer...I am already eyeing up a winter project..either seats, EFI or Dakota Digital dash..can only afford to do one

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 9:36 AM
Tech Team
Stan

I have a set of 70 buckets that someone modified with larger bolsters. They looked totally original except for the bolsters. I took the skins and buns off and replaced with originals, still have them, never took the time to examine closely exactly how they did it, but they could have fooled anyone.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 2:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

The Sport-R's are great looking covers/buns- very unique with the french seams & sude inserts. Striking if you pick a contrasting thread color, all that while still looking stockish.

If going for their "Sport" version (no french seams has stock welting, no-suede, but still big bolsters), i would say I prefer the legendary rallye big bolster kit better.

Regardless of which one you go with you should be prepared to add seat track extenders and possibly cut an inch or so out of your seat tracks to lower them. The foam is extremely stiff and you will sit higher and closer to the wheel than original or with stock style buns (ACI)

I've done many of these and while they do look great- just be mentally prepared for the mods that will be necessary to make them truly comfortable.

Also worth noting- If you have any broken springs, you need to fix them before recovering your seat. While these big bolster bun kits look great, they are just sitting ontop of a wobbly spring assembly... if the springs are broken its still going to feel like poop.

That last note is really the reason why those TMI aftermarket pro-series seats like the ones being discussed in that other thread are really a desirable consideration if 100% originality is not needed.

They LOOK like the TMI sport-R covers, or the plainer "Sport" covers- however they are on a modern seat with solid frame horns under the bolsters and no compression springs. They likely feel like any modern performance cars seat, while looking vintage.

If I did not have seat cores to start with, those are exactly what I would be buying.
David Bates likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 7:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

While my 70 is a true SS it is not original, I have restomodded the car to make it what I want. I dont know that I want to mess around with modifying my tracks and what not. It seems like if I commit to the change,selling my mint seats and buying the Pro series would be the way to go. I would think I can get good money for them.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 9:08 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Pat,
If your 70 is more resto mod then the bolstered seats will fit right in. I do believe you could get good money for your existing especially if they are black.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 9:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

The interior is stock other than a Forever Sharp Steering wheel and Silver Sport Shifter. The restomod look is more in tires/ wheels ,suspension and engine.

The interior on the car is in perfect condition which is the only reason I hesitate to touch it, but like you say I could probably get really good money for my stuff. It is black.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 7:42 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Pat,
My suggestion would be to find someone that has the seats you want and at very least sit in them or possibly ride in them. You might want to survey several people that have those big bolster seats. I seem to recall someone with those complaining about the foam being stiff and ride height was very high.
Might not be same thing but earlier this year we traded in a 2012 Buick Regal GS. It had high bolster seats which appear similar to the Chevelle seats I've seen. They were ok but not anything special.
I also think several different manufacturers are making those sport seats with the high bolsters. IIRC even Legendary has covers and foam with the big bolsters.
Might be cheaper (and better seats) to get seats out of a newer Camaro and have 70 Chevelle seat covers made for them. Or any GM sport car for that matter. All probably have the same seats.
I agree with this. Before you spend the big money, try your best to sit in different seats. I have Procar Elite seats in my '69, which have higher bolsters than stock Strato buckets, but less than the Procar Rally seats. At the time I was shopping I lived only an hour away from Procar's showroom and went down to try them all out. While the Rally seats look great, the bolsters are huge. I'm not an enormous guy -- 5'10", 220 lbs, white-man's skinny butt -- and the Rally's were way to severe for me. Even though they look better, I went with the Elites instead. Their brackets were bolt-in and made everything simpler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec 2017 111.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	593744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec 2017 117.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	593746  
blm likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 9:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

658, Those seats look right at home. Nice job. Also, what is sticking through your steering wheel? Terry
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 9:24 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Which Procar seats are available in the Chevelle pattern upholstery?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 9:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

Once you sit in the newer seats you will wonder what was keeping you from sliding across the car with the old ones. LOL

"A Nation of Sheep will beget a Government of Wolves." Edward R. Murrow
“The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury.” – George Washington
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 2:32 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68-13427 View Post
658, Those seats look right at home. Nice job. Also, what is sticking through your steering wheel? Terry
Thanks. They're comfortable, too. That metal sticking through the steering wheel is a Lok-Itt column lock. It covers the ignition cylinder and since the rod comes straight through instead of across, cutting the steering wheel won't defeat it as it would a Club. I got it about 20 years ago. Like anything else, it's not fail safe but does provide a higher level of security. I highly recommend it.
68-13427 likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 2:34 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
When I bought those about 12 years ago, the Elite model had no vertical stripes, but they now have variations that do and seem like they'd match the back seat pattern pretty well. At first I was in the mind to have mine recovered, but honestly it never bothered me and I always had something of a higher priority to do.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Quote:
They're available through classic industries they call them the touring two seats but they're obviously pro car rallies but they have covers 4 chevelles and Camaros in the stock styles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in