1969 Hazard Knob - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

 3Likes
  • 2 Post By 658Chevy
  • 1 Post By cheveslakr
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 19, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: OR
Posts: 1,484
1969 Hazard Knob

I lost the hazard lights knob for my '69 Malibu. There's a threaded stud protruding from the steering column. Vendors show two types indicated, one is chrome with a male threaded stud with the word "flasher" on it, and the other is black with a female fitting with the world "hazard" on it. Mine was the black one. Which is correct? Looking at pictures of the interiors of '69 Chevelles online, almost all have the chrome version. Will both fit? Will the chrome one just need the stud removed, or the steering column have the stud removed?
658Chevy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 19, 11:49 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: near Kansas City
Posts: 61,183
Garage
Re: 1969 Hazard Knob

The black one is correct for 69's
I don't know if you can make the chrome one work somehow or not but I don't think so.

{EDIT}
WRONG

Sorry for the misinformation, guess I was thinking about my 70.

.
.
.
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dean; May 16th, 19 at 7:32 PM.
Dean is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 19, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: OR
Posts: 1,484
Re: 1969 Hazard Knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The black one is correct for 69's
I don't know if you can make the chrome one work somehow or not but I don't think so.
Thanks, Dean!
658Chevy is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 4:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: OR
Posts: 1,484
Re: 1969 Hazard Knob

An update for anyone searching about this now or later:

I got the black knob with "HAZARD" written on it and it was just a sleeve that fit loosely over the stud present in the hazard switch. Since both that one and the chrome one with "FLASHER" written on it were indicated for my car by different vendors, I got one of the chrome pieces. That stud on that one, however, was too large and wouldn't thread into the switch.

The previous owner had probably installed an after market turn signal switch, of which there are several different designs. The one I have in my car is probably a later switch. It does use the black knob, but what I didn't realize is that it needed a screw -- I assumed that it just threaded itself when twisted onto a stud. The correct screw itself was $2.00 online, with $5.00 shipping, so I just found the size of screw I needed, cut it down to size, and cold blued it. The specs are below:

-- 6-32 thread, countersunk head.
-- The hardware store had two lengths: 3/4" and 1". The 1" screw was too long and while the 3/4" screw worked, the knob felt wobbly when actuating it. I filed down the 1" screw to about 7/8", or down to 22-23 threads. Now the knob is firm and works.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
71350SS and Pioneer4x4 like this.
658Chevy is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 6:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Posts: 4,682
Garage
Re: 1969 Hazard Knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 658Chevy View Post
I lost the hazard lights knob for my '69 Malibu. There's a threaded stud protruding from the steering column. Vendors show two types indicated, one is chrome with a male threaded stud with the word "flasher" on it, and the other is black with a female fitting with the world "hazard" on it. Mine was the black one. Which is correct? Looking at pictures of the interiors of '69 Chevelles online, almost all have the chrome version. Will both fit? Will the chrome one just need the stud removed, or the steering column have the stud removed?
Chrome is the correct one for a Malibu. Black for 300 Deluxe.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NickeyChevelle is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: portland oregon
Posts: 6,750
Re: 1969 Hazard Knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Chrome is the correct one for a Malibu. Black for 300 Deluxe.
I've got 2 300 Deluxe with the SS396 option here and they both have the chrome knob.
Have 2 Malibu based SS396 cars, they also have the chrome knob.
Don't see anything addressing the chrome hazard knob in the "Production Statistics" book so I'm assuming it was standard on all '69 models. I've never seen the black knob on a '69 yet.
Dean likes this.
cheveslakr is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 5:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: OR
Posts: 1,484
Re: 1969 Hazard Knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
I've got 2 300 Deluxe with the SS396 option here and they both have the chrome knob.
Have 2 Malibu based SS396 cars, they also have the chrome knob.
Don't see anything addressing the chrome hazard knob in the "Production Statistics" book so I'm assuming it was standard on all '69 models. I've never seen the black knob on a '69 yet.
I think it depends on the history of the car and which of the several styles of turn signal switch was installed originally or later. In checking different vendors, the cross-referenced years varied wildly for both the black and chrome knobs. The black knob I bought was indicated for 1967-1978. One one site, the screw that fastens it is indicated for a Corvette from 1972-1996. On other sites it is other years. It's possible that different factories used different turn signal switches on the line, and who knows what has been installed in the years since. Apparently, different switches have different receiving threads and I couldn't have used the chrome knob without rethreading the switch.
658Chevy is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 7:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Posts: 4,682
Garage
Re: 1969 Hazard Knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 658Chevy View Post
I think it depends on the history of the car and which of the several styles of turn signal switch was installed originally or later. In checking different vendors, the cross-referenced years varied wildly for both the black and chrome knobs. The black knob I bought was indicated for 1967-1978. One one site, the screw that fastens it is indicated for a Corvette from 1972-1996. On other sites it is other years. It's possible that different factories used different turn signal switches on the line, and who knows what has been installed in the years since. Apparently, different switches have different receiving threads and I couldn't have used the chrome knob without rethreading the switch.
Could be. I was just going by the 3 '69 Chevelles I've owned -- the KC 300 Deluxe had the black knob, the KC Malibu had the chrome knob, and my current Baltimore Malibu has the chrome knob.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NickeyChevelle is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 7:37 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: near Kansas City
Posts: 61,183
Garage
Re: 1969 Hazard Knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
I've got 2 300 Deluxe with the SS396 option here and they both have the chrome knob.
Have 2 Malibu based SS396 cars, they also have the chrome knob.
Don't see anything addressing the chrome hazard knob in the "Production Statistics" book so I'm assuming it was standard on all '69 models. I've never seen the black knob on a '69 yet.
Good thing someone is here to correct my mistake.

.
.
.
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dean is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 8:37 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: near Kansas City
Posts: 61,183
Garage
Re: 1969 Hazard Knob

My 69 chrome Knob.
(The one on my 70 is black)

.
.
.
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dean; Jun 16th, 19 at 1:34 PM.
Dean is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1969 L78 vs F41 DaleM Brakes, Suspension & Steering 8 Sep 20th, 15 12:44 AM
Hurst Shifter Handle Knob blm Transmission & Driveline 3 Jan 21st, 15 11:20 AM
Vintage Certification @ GM Nationals SLS-6 paceme Team Chevelle Cruiz-ins 0 Feb 17th, 14 9:51 PM
71 Hazard Lamp knobs.... which one is correct? scottmn1 Restoration Corner 6 Feb 5th, 14 3:51 PM
Hazard lights knob Hector T Chevelle Tech 16 Aug 13th, 13 10:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome