NO TAIL LIGHTS!!!!!! HELP!!! - Chevelle Tech
2004 General Tech Forum from 2004

View Poll Results: NO TAIL LIGHTS!!!!!! HELP!!!
NO TAIL LIGHTS 15 60.00%
NO TAIL LIGHTS 10 40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 04, 8:07 PM Thread Starter

I HAVE A 67 S/S ORIG WIRING BUT CAR IS PRO-STREET. I HAVE NO TAIL LIGHTS ALL OF A SUDDEN. BRAKE,BLINKERS WORK AS WELL AS FRONT MARKER LIGHTS & HEAD LIGHTS. I CHECKED FUSE IT'S GOOD. EVEN REPLACED STILL NO LUCK. CHANGED BULBS STILL NO LUCK. THE LICENSE PLATE LIGHT ALSO OUT. PLEASE HELP!!!. THANKS JIM . update!!!!. problem fixed the rear trunk harness is joined at plug under back seat i found one side of plug lifted up causing tail light wire to lose contact. much thanks to all that replied. jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 04, 8:35 PM

well, i admit that i was somewhat confused by your poll, so i voted that you had no tail lights.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 04, 8:37 PM

seriously, though. get a wiring schematic for '67, and then chase the wires back, checking connections, relays etc. you'll hunt the gremlin down.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 04, 8:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

if the fuse is good it shouldnt be a short, could be a loose or broken 12v line or loss of ground. With the lights on check for 12v on the brown wire at the junction between the intermediate harness and the rear lamp harness. If there is no 12v there keep tracing back towards the front, if you have it then go through the rear lamp harness and black ground wire.

Dave
66/68/70 chevelles
55/57/61 belairs
69 70 71 72 novas
37 Buick 47 Cadillac 51 Ford F1s
other money pits and projects
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 04, 10:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky Hill

Jim,
Did you know your cap lock is on?

Rocky

A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

TC Member #1530

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 04, 11:53 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by marinablue67:
well, i admit that i was somewhat confused by your poll, so i voted that you had no tail lights.
I voted for the other question [img]smile.gif[/img]

You need to find out where the brown wire that feeds power to the tail light circuit is broken according to this 67 brake/tail diagram at
www.chevellestuff.com

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 04, 11:56 PM

Tail light fuse also runs the dash lights. Might help you narrow it down. Dash lights working?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 04, 11:59 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Got a test light?
maybe the fuse holder is corroded.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 04, 4:15 AM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to John Himself
my '66 did that. i just sanded down all the leads on the fuse box to get the rust off and then added new fuses

<a href=/www.chevelles.com/forums/40-2004/"
target="_blank">http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html</a>
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 04, 9:58 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by John_Muha:
Tail light fuse also runs the dash lights. Might help you narrow it down. Dash lights working?
Well, are they ?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 04, 2:26 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Clark68
I voted no light as well. Check the wires... they tend to get pretty corroded after several year of use. Best of luck to ya! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

68 Chevelle. In the bodywork phase; Engine done and ready to go; new quarters, deck panel, wheel wells, fenders, and windshield cowl. SS hood and POR 15 galour, progressing as fast as the wallet permits.<br />Future Plans: 350 automatic, Red or white, Black Vinyl Top, BFGoodrich Tires, Black Vinyl Interior with Bucket seats.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 04, 5:53 PM

Yea, it seems, by the results of the poll, that he definetely has no tail lights...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 04, 6:11 PM
Tech Team

I went through this on my kid's 67 Elky. Changed everything. It ended up be the connection at the rear harness. Just wiggled it and it was all better. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] Cal

TC Member # 1308

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 4:22 PM
Tech Team

Re: NO TAIL LIGHTS!!!!!! HELP!!!

I voted for the italics. looks like regular type is winning though . I had a problem like that once, the grounds on where the light went into the socket would cause them to go out. Sanded them nice then soldiered a wire and attached it to a nut, the sanded part worked for about a year so i had to add the wire. Although both didn't go out @ once, it could possible be this. If your instrument lights are out that they are on the same fuse as your tails. Thast how you know they are out.

Good luck.

350 bored .40 over 10.5:1 KB pistons,
282 dur cam with .490 lift,
M22W 4 Speed Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Hurst Shifter.
Air Gap, MSD 6AL Ignition, with a Holley 750 Mech.
Some shots of the
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4975 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.