Restoration list needed - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 2:29 PM Thread Starter

Restoration list needed

Have a 1967 Chevelle SS (136). Got to do a complete restoration and trying to get a preliminary budget together. Does anyone that has done this before have a parts list they could share with me. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 3:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Restoration list needed

First on the list should be a bottomless checkbook.
langss, Kirk's67SS, SSJohn and 4 others like this.

Mike

My 69 Chevelle Convertible

AACA Senior Grand National Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist
Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts 2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award
NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest 6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class
MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award" 2015 OPGI Original Restored Award
MCACN Gold
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 6:32 PM
Team Member
Steve

Agreed!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 7:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

136?
my buddy does mild resto mods. he uses a ho454 $6000 (wholesale) autogear 4 speed and a moser 12 bolt
I think he says it's just over 11000 for the drivetrain. then add in a , complete interior, front and rear suspension, new radiator etc. All new glass, then trades out labor for paint. his out of pocket costs comes in around 25- 30k but you have a brand new car when done.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 7:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

get about three different resto parts catalogs and go through them with what you think you need and price things out and what is available

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 7:58 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

You should budget about $12,000 per year over 3 years. If you make mistakes you can double that number quickly.

People don’t like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. That’s why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 8:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

As the starry eyed kid that I am, I thought sure $20,000.00 would cover it....After all I already had an engine, and had been buying parts here and there for years....that is until a guy I know showed up at a car show with the 67 SS he just bought for $30,000.00, completely restored and ready to go. He was lucky and found someone that wanted out of the hot rod/muscle car thing, and they took the cash and bought a new Corvette. The point is depending on what you have to start with, you can pretty much run right over $30,000.00 and not even have paint on the thing. A lot depends on how much rust you have and how much is missing. My Car has everything there, but is very "Rusty" in all the usual places....so I would have a lot of "Time and Materials" wrapped up in it. As long as you are aware of the money side of this kind of project and don't have a problem with the (Bottomless Checkbook) you will have a really nice car when you are all done. As always just my .02.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 8:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

They all forgot to mention the time and commitment.
A guy needs to love the idea of going through a restoration
and enjoy it...or you could find yourself not even liking your car.
I am on year 5

A 136 car is not an SS
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 11:00 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

heres another thing. alot of people have the best intentions on restoring a car, taking it apart is easy and free. But you really need to have the cash ready to go all in on the rebuild. If the project ends up taking years, theres a possibility the stuff you do today will look old y the time you get the project finished a few years from now. So you need to plan your project so the frame, drivetrain is done, body is painted, interior is done. car comes back from paint a d you put it back together and it's done in a timely fashion.
Or if the car is running, fix stuff up as you drive it. jim
red68chevL likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 2:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoach View Post
Have a 1967 Chevelle SS (136). Got to do a complete restoration and trying to get a preliminary budget together.
First, How "thorough" and correct do you want to be? How perfect? How much can you do and how much do you plan to do yourself...

Then there is the current condition of the car. Is anything reusable (with a little elbow grease and some paint)? Does it have rust or rot or body damage?

Everything is expensive, but IMO, body and paint can be the budget killer, especially if you need panel replacement...

And, as someone else mentioned, a "136" car is NOT an SS. 136 is a Malibu, an SS will have 138 VIN... That can be important IF you are considering future value... The resto will cost the same, but the SS will exceed the Malibu in value (assume all else is the same)... IMO, nothing wrong with a 136, and nothing wrong with making it look like an SS, but just be aware that while almost every classic is a labor of love, some will have more value just because of a few digits in the VIN..
David Bates and EdCarpenter like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker Sold
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 6:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

I’m in the final stages of my 5th restoration. You have to realize it may take year(s) to complete. My rule of thumb is the body and paint are what makes the car. Don’t waste $ on anything else. Once the body is moving forward then begin the chassis and engine.
I’ve seen too many projects fail by dropping big $ into a pretty motor and not having enough $ to continue. You now have a project that is sitting or just want to unload it. You loose big time. Plan your projects carefully. Label evert part, bolt,clip, etc as it comes off and take photos.
A thorough restoration is expensive even if you do a lot of the work. I keep a spread sheet on every $ spent.
David Bates and stanski like this.

Ed C.
-------------------------
70 SS L34 Auto project
57 Belair hardtop project
Always looking
-------------------------
There's nothing in this hobby I won't try at least once.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

This is such a hard question. You need to start with:
1. Do you have the time, Drive, and Talent to complete a restoration? Anything you do yourself saves $
2. Do you have the $. This is huge. It may decide on if you should even proceed?
3. What direction do you want to go. Original or Rest-mod? Depending on this impacts both time and $

I’m finishing my first restoration. I bought it in 1997 and starting restoration (off and on) in 2002. I did every for the restoration myself excluding rebuilding the Muncie and applying the paint. I have no idea how much $ it costs since I’ve installed parts I purchased in 1989. Yes 1989. You just need to make sure you have the desire, passion, and $ to start. Good luck

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...)
'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:52 AM
Tech Team
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCarpenter View Post
I’m in the final stages of my 5th restoration. You have to realize it may take year(s) to complete. My rule of thumb is the body and paint are what makes the car. Don’t waste $ on anything else. Once the body is moving forward then begin the chassis and engine.
I’ve seen too many projects fail by dropping big $ into a pretty motor and not having enough $ to continue. You now have a project that is sitting or just want to unload it. You loose big time. Plan your projects carefully. Label evert part, bolt,clip, etc as it comes off and take photos.
A thorough restoration is expensive even if you do a lot of the work. I keep a spread sheet on every $ spent.
This is so true! At any car show I only note cars with great (or brutal) body and paint, but I don't even notice all the expensive and whizzy stuff stuff under the hood, as anyone with a credit card can do that. I also appraise for insurance, and so many owners want their sizable investment in the engine and shiny things to be reflected in the valuation but unfortunately is just don't work that way.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:30 PM Thread Starter

typo, it is a 138
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. All of this was really helpful. It is a true 138, but I am more wanting to restore it to drive and enjoy, maybe pass on to my son. I know it is a long road, and hopefully I will be able to make it to the end. Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in