Troy Built 66 Chevelle LS3/T56 - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 17, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Troy Built 66 Chevelle LS3/T56

I've been waiting quite a while to start this thread. I put the car in the garage to start this project in June.

My build is going to be a LS3 I built my self from scratch, bought a new block,crank, forged connecting rods and pistons, Brian Tooley stage II cam and valve springs. Found a set of brand new take off crate motor heads that I had a Very nice 5 angle vale job and some clean up work of the bowl area.

I'm hoping for 475 hp at the rear wheels.

The motor will be cooled with a Dewit's radiator in their Black Ice epoxy with dual electric fans. I'll also be using Wegner Motorsports black FEAD .

This motor will be backed by a new T56 Magnum. With a Hayes "Muscle Car" clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. And of course a new drive shaft.

The 10 bolt diff will get a posi and 373 gears. I put axles in when I did the Big Brake set up. I know the 10 bolt isn't the best choice, but it's what I have until I find a 66 12 bolt. And I do not want a Ford rear end.

The brake and suspension are all ready done. Bear brakes with SC&C suspension. And Boyd wheels.
But I will be adding Hydra boost and Bear master cylinder.

all of the LS swap components are from Holley/Hooker. The motor mounts, trans cross member, headers and exhaust.

Inside will be getting some new stuff also, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital HDX dash with satellite speedo. Also an complete rewire with American Auto Wire Classic Update harness.

This is the car before I parked it back in June

Chevelle (16)A

The reason I'm just getting to this after parking the car Back in June was a big set back.

The first thing in doing the LS swap was new body bushings. I knew I had some problem bolts but what I got into was a complete trunk floor replacement. This turned out to be a pretty big and time consuming project.

Here a little info on that

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/12-b...me-advise.html

Now that I'm done with the trunk floor except for final paint. I'm back on the swap.

So by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend I hope to have this new engine and trans set in place and be able to begin mocking up headers, radiator and FEAD.

Of course I have to do a pretty big modification to the trans tunnel.

IMG_20171121_160239453_HDR

66 CHEVELLE

Last edited by Mike; Nov 24th, 17 at 8:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 17, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Re: Troy Built 66 Chevelle LS3/T56

While I had the trunk floor out and was lifting the body to slide the floor in and out for fitting, I did some fuel line mods.

I bought a factory big block fuel line. this line is 3/8 and the original small block line was 5/16. so for the new fuel injection I needed supply and return lines.

I cut both line down and silver soldered -6 fitting on them, then used Fragola PTFE (teflon) black AN lines to make the connections.

This is the Corvette style filter/regulator with the PTFE lines attached.

IMG_20171111_165524116_HDR

here is where those lines connect to the hard lines. I had to add the bracket to the frame to mount the line to. I cut that piece off of the old truck floor.

IMG_20171111_165605481_HDR

IMG_20171111_165632122_HDR

IMG_20171111_165615848_HDR

when I first completed the hard line I made up some adapters and pressure tested for leaks.

IMG_20171111_114417473

Also while I had the trunk floor out I set the new Tank Ink tank in place on some straps so I could make the PTFE lines connecting the tank to the hard lines.

66 CHEVELLE

Last edited by Mike; Nov 24th, 17 at 8:41 AM.
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 17, 4:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

No transmission yet. Just an initial test fit. My son will be here tomorrow to help me lift the trans. I can mock up hydraulic lines for the clutch while I

2017-11-24_12-58-40

66 CHEVELLE

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 17, 4:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

Very cool build, Troy. Looking forward to following along.
senna likes this.

64 2 door Wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 Door Post Sold 11/21/17
LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 SS Tribute Sold

post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Got a lot done today. Pulled the engine back out and installed the flywheel clutch and bell housing then bolted on the T56. Then set it back in on the Holley Mounts and cross member. Everything lined up pretty good.

I also cut the tunnel out based on the patch panel I got from Tin Man Fab.

DSC_0915

DSC_0917

DSC_0916

Once the trans was in I was able to confirm my Hydraulic clutch line, it looks good.

DSC_0918

I also was able to mock up the Hydra Boost unit. I required some mods because of the adapter plate for the hyd clutch.

DSC_0919

DSC_0911

DSC_0912

DSC_0913
pannetron and Blown1932 like this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

I mentioned in the previous post about the engine fitting pretty good on the Holley mounts. the only issue i had was a net clearance on the passenger side tie rod end at the oil pan. It was a little worse but we had left the Holley motor mount stands loose on the frame and influenced the pass side up and the drivers side down, that helped. When I pull the motor back out I will grind the frame to get another 1/4 to 3/8 inch clearance.

DSC_0914

Also got the headers in. I set the intake on, although I'm pretty sure I'm going to upgrade to FAST intake. We set the Spartech FI harness in place to see how it laid out. And installed some of the Wegner Motorsports FEAD. I'm waiting on the power steering pump to be returned from Wegner. I switched from a integral reservoir for a remote reservoir style pump because of adding hydra boost.

DSC_0920

66 CHEVELLE
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 1:05 AM
Senior Tech Team

Nice work.

Thanks for taking the time to post the description and pictures of the work you have performed.

Steve R
senna likes this.
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 2:47 AM
Clint

That's a nice project you have going on there, Troy. Looks really good.
senna likes this.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 5:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tyler

What oil pan are you using?

66 Malibu. SC&C, Kore3, AFX, Forgeline, ABC. Working toward participation in USCA events!
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 6:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66promalibu View Post
What oil pan are you using?
Holley 302-2

66 CHEVELLE
post #11 of 108 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 7:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

Nice job so far, what cltuch hydraulic system and bracket are you using? Are you mounting it to the top tab on the pedal?

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #12 of 108 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 9:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tyler

Quote:
Holley 302-2
Disappointing so see the contact to the tie rod. I have that pan and was planning to swap it in place of my MAST pan. I hoped Holley had it nailed this time around. Thanks for posting the pictures. The tunnel patch panel looks like a nice piece. Did it work out well?

66 Malibu. SC&C, Kore3, AFX, Forgeline, ABC. Working toward participation in USCA events!
post #13 of 108 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Nice job so far, what cltuch hydraulic system and bracket are you using? Are you mounting it to the top tab on the pedal?
bracket, slave cylinder and clutch pedal was a kit from Mcleod.
pannetron likes this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #14 of 108 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66promalibu View Post
Disappointing so see the contact to the tie rod. I have that pan and was planning to swap it in place of my MAST pan. I hoped Holley had it nailed this time around. Thanks for posting the pictures. The tunnel patch panel looks like a nice piece. Did it work out well?
Don't be disappointed yet. My engine isn't sitting level, it's low on that side. I've been in conversation with the engineer who developed these parts and I believe the issue will be resolved.

The parts really are great quality. There is also many variables in these fifty year old cars that Holley can't account for.

i

66 CHEVELLE
post #15 of 108 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 17, 12:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tyler

Cool. Keep the updates coming!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in