Blown 1970 "Pro Street" Chevelle Project - Chevelle Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 13, 8:43 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Blown 1970 "Pro Street" Chevelle Project

Hey Guys, I joined the site at the beginning of the year and figured I'd finally post up a build thread of my 70 Chevelle project. Heres a little background history - Over this past fall I bought this Chevelle Malibu "project" from a buddy of mine, and overall its in really good shape for being a northeast car. The interior has been totally re-done ( I just need to re-install it all, and add a few new details to make it "mine"). I've already stripped the body of the previous owners paint job, and I'm just waiting until I'm 100% happy with the bodywork to lay down some paint .

For a powerplant and drivetrain its now got a Supercharged 468 big block, Muncie 4 speed tranny, and 12 bolt posi rear end. I've built multiple cars and lifted trucks in the past, and all the rebuild work minus the paintjob will be done in my garage. The plans for this car are simple, I'm looking to build a streetable, pump gas "Pro-Street" play toy that is plenty capable of going on long road trips, yet be just as at home at the local cruize night, or occasional trip to the dragstrip just for fun ( not looking to build a crazy 1000 hp 8 second car).

Heres the night I brought it home from my buddys house, as it had sat in his garage untouched for a few years....

And heres the "Before" picture of the motor the day I bought the car.

Then came the long hours of tearing everything down on the front end and then pulling out the motor and tranny, as well as starting to do some bodywork.

The motor was completely rebuilt before I purchased the car from my friend, I just pulled it and the transmission out, gave them both a real good once over and then layed down some fresh paint and started bolting up new components. Its got an 8.5-1 compression ratio which will be perfect for what I have in store for this ride.

I finally got the motor back in the car and everything else mostly mocked up, also went ahead and installed a new stainless tank and fuel lines along with setting up the Holley electric fuel pump.

I also wanted to run a different blower scoop than most people have, so after searching around for a long while (and saving up ALOT of pennys ) I contacted Alan at "Garlits Performance Products" over the pond in Auckland New Zealand, and told him exactly what I wanted my bug catcher to look like, and he then custom built me this stunning polished scoop. The blower is a simple Weiand 6-71. ( I still have to get another set of new blower referenced carbs..)

Here is everything mocked back up in the car... ( picture dosen't show them, but I've already installed the correct blower snout pulley spacer and idler pulley setup, to correct the belt spacing issue from switching the supercharger from a small block to its new big block home).

Still got a LONG ways to go, but I'm at least happy to see it at this stage..!! More to come soon.

Last edited by Blown1970; May 25th, 13 at 9:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 13, 9:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Todd

Re: Blown 1970 "Pro Street" Chevelle Project

very cool. Keep up the good work

13.5-1 572, HP innovations 1150, 1.8 glide, 3.70 gear, Nitrous outlet hornet

Best 1/8 ET 5.55
Best 1/8 MPH 130
Best 60 1.27
8.93 147mph
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 27th, 13, 9:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Awesome!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 27th, 13, 9:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug Davis

Super nice!

66 Chevelle
350/400 Turbo
12 Bolt Eaton Posi w/3:73's
Team Chevelle Member # 3540
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 13, 1:57 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Any more pictures of the progress?

I hope to get my blown bb going soon, I'm figuring a year to do. Did you contemplate using alum heads? I know since its forced induction you don't need Alum. but for weight savings? I think I'll keep my cast. Also front springs, are you going to change? or I'm assuming your using the same that's in the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Malibu Transformed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 13, 1:28 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Hey guys, I've gotten a bit more done since the last update. First up was to repair some minor sheet metal damage on the core support , re-paint it and get it back on the car, then I sanded down and primed the front fenders and they went back on as well.

Then all the front trim went back on (grill, headlight surrounds, etc). I also mocked up the motor again to see how everything was beginning to take shape...

Lastly the new front bumper went on, and now its finally starting to look like a car again. Next up comes MORE bodywork, then wiring everything back up, and hopefully I can start this thing before too much longer.

I might switch to some nice alum heads once its up and running, but for now the cast ones will work just fine until I can get all tuned in. I am going to lower the nose about 2", whether thats via dropped springs or front drop spindles. The drivers side upper control arm needs to be replaced, so I may just end up buying all new tubular suspension components including the lowering springs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 13, 9:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Love it!!
and yes I am very sweet on blown 70 Chevelles!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 13, 8:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jimmy

How is the build coming? Any new pics? Jimmy
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 14, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Love the blower and the scoop! It's gonna be a tire burner for sure! What are you planning for the back end?

69 Pro Street Chevelle "No man with a good car needs to be justified."

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 14, 9:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

any updates??
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 14, 4:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Car is dialed in now!!
Andy from Hilborn backs up what they sell!!
This thing is a beast!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	168937  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 5:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Wayne

Garage

Nice car. I Love the Pro Street theme. I have since they first came on the scene.
Driving a black 67 now. Last street car was a 70 SS with an LT-1.
How about some updated shots showing the rear tires?
Keep up the good work.

Later,
Wayne
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 6:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

can do ..
have plenty of pix somewhere.. or will walk out to garage..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00499.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	174170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3333.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	174178  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 6:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Wayne

Garage

***AWESOME***
I just love the look of a black Chevelle just stuffed full of tire.

Later,
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1946 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.