Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to think about paint.
It's probably cheaper if I purchase it myself.
How much paint do I need for my Goat?
thanks as always
(pours Uncle E and Geeter a shot of Applejack Brandy)
TK
:cheers
:party::party::party:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Starting to think about paint.
It's probably cheaper if I purchase it myself.
How much paint do I need for my Goat?
thanks as always
(pours Uncle E and Geeter a shot of Applejack Brandy)
TK
:cheers
:party::party::party:
are you painting jambs and underside of the hood and trunk lid. if so i suggest 6 quarts of base for 3 coats and 6 quarts of clear for 3 coats. paint is one of those things you cant run out with a fender left to paint.
for primer 2 quarts of epoxy and a gallon of 2k hibuild. i just painted one and for all this it was $980 for materials.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
+1, just went and grabbed an extra gallon of clear and qt of base to make sure i have extra....money well spent to have some left for touch-up from the same mix if you ever need it.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Topkat, you've teased us with photographs of ancient auto parts that you've excavated from some National Geographic dig site......I wanna see the whole CAR. Who ELSE out there wants Topkat to post a photo of "The Beast"? I sure hope it doesn't look like the '57 Fury time capsule car!!!
----"Geeter the Cheater"

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Hey Top,
I agree ---- far better to have too much than too little. With modern coatings that "cross-link" with each other chemically as they dry, you've got some very definite time windows you have to "hit". Once you've laid a coat of something on, you have to wait at least X amount of time (usually from 15 to 30 minutes) before you spray the next layer, but no more than Y amount of time (usually a few hours - RARELY longer than 24 hours). It you wait "too long" then you have to go back, sand the previous layer to rough it up, then lay on another coat of the same material before you can resume, otherwise you risk having problems with adhesion between layers later on. (Think chunks of paint falling off the car.) That's why you for sure don't want to run out of something in the middle of a job. Before I start on the "real" paint job on my car I'm going to have 7 quarts of base (10.5 quarts sprayable after I reduce and activate it) and 6 quarts of clear (12 quarts sprayable after activation) on hand. I'm planning on 2 medium wet coats of base, 4 full wet coats of clear.

I'm in the process of my first ever paint job right now. I shot the jambs, backs of the trunk and hood, cowl, etc. last weekend and _almost_ had a problem. I started with a quart of base and it was only enough to get one coat on. Luckily I was shooting late Sunday night and was able to get by after work Monday to buy more base to lay on the second coat before the window ran out. The tech sheets for the base I'm using (PPG DBC 9700) recommend no more than 2 medium wet coats.

That's another thing. Be very careful about who you rely on for information. Different manufacturers have different recommendations for their products and that's what you should listen to - after all they make the stuff. Even the counter guys at whereever you buy it will sometimes not bother to keep up to date on correct procedures, so always cross-check what they tell you with the tech sheets, and don't be afraid to call the manufacturer's product tech lines - after all part of the price you pay for the product goes to support those.

Let me recommend some educational materials and another forum to you before you get started. The materials are Kevin' Tetz's "Paintucation" DVD's. You can get them from lots of different places, including his web site. The forum is his forum: Kevin Tetz's Paintucation Forum. Kevin is there often and there are other regulars on there too who are at least as honest and helpful as the folks on here are. They've sure helped me. I may be somewhat experienced at the mechanical end of building cars, but I'm a definite first-timer when it comes to anything paint and body related. I couldn't have gotten to where I am on my car without the DVD's and the folks on Kevin's forum, and that's a fact.

On my car I'm using everything I can from Southern Polyurethanes. Their products are very good and the folks there definitely know their stuff and are willing to help. The only reason I'm not using their base color instead of PPG's, is they don't make any. Their epoxy primer, which I used both as a bare metal primer before I started body work and also as a sealer (reduced 50%) sprays out very nicely and is extremely tough. Straight lacquer thinner barely softens it once it's cured. Their Universal Clear with their 'very slow' activator I put over the base --- my gosh, the stuff laid out like glass. There are places on the back of the hood and trunk that I don't see how it would be possible to get them any flatter or shinier even if I wet-sanded and buffed them. I can't wait to see how the "real" paint job turns out after I cut and buff it...

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Great info, Bear. As expensive as materials have become, I think your method of research and homework is the way to go. With all the research you've done, the ONLY thing you don't have to your advantage is years of experience with a spray gun....but it sounds like you've got your technique down pretty well. And, with the color you're using, you'll be able to easily "correct" any finish issues after it's all said and done. Here's wishing you an excellent "first paint job"!!

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Topkat, Thanks for the shot....More is better than not enough, for all the reasons stated above. Just make sure you spray in a good booth and wear protection (for breathing). Uncle E P.S. Good luck man!!....and yeah , show us some pics!!!!!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
+4 for pics....we have seen every part now lets see it put together...:D

I'll show you mine in warpaint Tomorrow night.....:D

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
...."Geeter the Cheater" pries the cap off of an ice- cold Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA and lifts it in the general direction of Topkat, and the Great Northwest, anticipating a posted photo of "The Beast".......

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Thanks, Top. That looks excellent!! You have the same "shop facilities" that I do. Takes me three trips around the car just to find the extension cord, walking sideways the whole time. Looks like a '67 GTO to me!!! Congrats.
Jeff

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
looking good Top, like the paper towel roller....:D, speaking of which i need to find my windshield wipers and sprayers. get on that body work looks like you have a nice solid foundation to start with....:cheers.

Just sprayed the paint on mine used Matrix paints and was very happy and they are reasonably priced. For all the materials and booth rental i am in it for around 1200.00, 2k primer 1.5 gallons, base 1 gallon, clear 1.5 gallons, 1/2 gallon rage body filler, 3 qts 3m polyester spot filler for skim coating....and a whole lot of free labor.

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian

·
Registered
686 Posts
Buddy I wish my garage was that clean. I had to put the best of the best out of a 30'x40' 3 story barn in a an over sized 2 car garage. Why my new 60'x80' barn, gets a floor some time in the near future. The rest of the stuff is packed into 8 cars trunks and interior. I have been working under the big maple tree next to the house on the gravel drive. That leads back to the barn. It is just some scrubbing and spray bomb black on the engine compartment of my 84 Grand Prix, so I can but the engine back in. I can't wait to get the barn finished!

Your car is coming along nicely. More beer:cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts