• 1 Post By PontiacJim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1974 GTO Radiator Fan Shroud

Hello,
I am a proud new owner of a 1974 Pontiac GTO as well as a newbie to the GTO Forum. The GTO is awesome, I have owned many different sports cars over the years and wanted to get a classic muscle car and set my mind on a GTO. I didn't do a whole lot of research before I bought this car and have found out the hard way that getting parts for a 74 GTO or Ventura is extremely difficult. The car does not have a Radiator Fan Shroud and I have been hunting everywhere trying to locate one. If anyone has a lead on one please let me know. My other alternative is to either add an electric fan or replace the radiator with a new aluminum with fan shroud and fans. I would really like to stay original so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcourtney073 View Post
Hello,
I am a proud new owner of a 1974 Pontiac GTO as well as a newbie to the GTO Forum. The GTO is awesome, I have owned many different sports cars over the years and wanted to get a classic muscle car and set my mind on a GTO. I didn't do a whole lot of research before I bought this car and have found out the hard way that getting parts for a 74 GTO or Ventura is extremely difficult. The car does not have a Radiator Fan Shroud and I have been hunting everywhere trying to locate one. If anyone has a lead on one please let me know. My other alternative is to either add an electric fan or replace the radiator with a new aluminum with fan shroud and fans. I would really like to stay original so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Did the car have a fan shroud originally?

The Chevy Nova, Olds Omega, Pontiac Ventura, & Buick ****** all used the same body. My guess might be that they may have shared a similar radiator as well. Might find that a fan shroud off of one of these body styles may fit the radiator.

Don't know why I can't input the Buick body type for some reason?????? It seems to be edited it out as if it were a swear word. Now "Chevy" I could understand edited out as a swear word on a Pontiac forum.
curtis.smith68 likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Did the car have a fan shroud originally?

The Chevy Nova, Olds Omega, Pontiac Ventura, & Buick ****** all used the same body. My guess might be that they may have shared a similar radiator as well. Might find that a fan shroud off of one of these body styles may fit the radiator.

Don't know why I can't input the Buick body type for some reason?????? It seems to be edited it out as if it were a swear word. Now "Chevy" I could understand edited out as a swear word on a Pontiac forum.
PontiacJim,
Thanks for the suggestion my car came with a fan shroud originally but did not have one when I bought it. I had one of the salvage yards suggest that I look at these other models as well. I believe there are several parts that are interchangeable between these models however this fan shroud appears to be a one off for the ventura model. The ventura fan doesn't sit in the center of the radiator it's off to the passenger side so the fan shroud is made to accommodate that. I looked at pictures on the internet of the Nova, Olds and buick models and they all look to be different from the ventura. I ordered a universal fan shroud and tried it but it would not fit either. I attached a picture of a 1974 GTO with a fan shroud that I found for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO FAN SHROUD 2.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	1,005.8 KB
ID:	120141  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:39 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, interesting. I would have not thought there was any kind of offset to the engine. Wonder why that might be. Perhaps the outside dimensions of the Pontiac, being all cubic inches are the same, needed to be shifted over to clear perhaps the steering box or even power diaphragm for power brakes. If the engine is offset, wonder if the trans is offset a like amount which means the driveshaft goes off at an angle OR the rear end center sections is offset - and unique to the GTO model only because of the Pontiac 350.

The Ventura also used the Chevy 307CI that was why I thought a Chevy Nova might have been the same.

I read on a forum for Firebirds, that the radiator fan shroud is offset due to the engine off set to clear the steering box. Here is a photo of one that is a repop, but it gives dimensions. There are cheaper ones, but take a look: https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1967...p/rad-2818.htm

Big Block Camaro here: https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-...1967-1968.html

And if you want to try your hand at piecing together & fabricating your own fiberglass shroud: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fib...shroud.675551/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I wasn’t quite sure why the fan/motor was offset either. I appreciate the links for these offset shrouds and I will do some measuring and see if one of these might work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in