LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Convertible cylinder leaking?

Hi all,

I have a 69 convertible and I have noticed oil under the rear of the car. I don't necessarily see it on the body pan, but the mufflers have oil on them as do the exhaust pipes just rear of the mufflers as they go over the rear axle. I first thought this was a bad pinion seal, but a) the 3rd member is not losing oil, b) the pinion seal appears dry, no weeping and c) this oil looks tan or clear like brake fluid or what you would find in a hydraulic jack. Once in a while I will see some on the ground (a few drops) but not always.

I have yet to crawl into the trunk or remove any interior panels, but could this be fluid from the hydraulic top cylinder or struts? It seems odd that this much would have exited the power top mechanism and the top still work, but it also seems like if there was a leak, it would pool in the trunk or under the seat.

Has anyone experienced this? I assume I will need to crawl in there and look for wet connections. Is a short term fix to check the fluid in the cylinder and then trace it down? I assume once the fluid was completely out, the top would just stop functioning whereever it was a don't want to play russian roulette.

Thanks,
Mike

Torque (tork), n: 1. The tendency of a force to rotate the body to which it is applied. 2. See also: GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Dig into it before a complete failure. Either way it has to be done.

“That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind”
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Could also be brake fluid (are your brakes spongy?)....I'd check your master cylinder and see if you are low on fluid.

Most likely it is coming from your convertible top (either one of the cylinders is leaking or the pump is leaking). On my 65' there is a hole (in the floor) right below each cylinder, so if it leaks, it will drip from these holes. If your pump is leaking, it should be pretty easy to tell by looking in the trunk.

On my 65' there is a brake line junction right where you are describing you are seeing the fluid. It could be that either the rubber hose has a hole or tare or fluid is leaking from the junction connector. I'd really look long and hard for a brake leak as this is a safety issue.

Good luck

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks

Thanks

Not brakes, fluid in master ok and this fluid is not affecting painted surfaces. I replaced carpet 2 years ago and noticed air in the line to the driver's side ram (strut) for the top. I was not familiar with convertible components and while I figured something was wrong, the top worked. Coincidentally when I raise the top, the left side labors for the first foot or so of travel.

I have other demons to slay, but when I get time, I will remove the back seat and see what's up.

Thanks again!

Mike

Torque (tork), n: 1. The tendency of a force to rotate the body to which it is applied. 2. See also: GTO
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would strongly suggest you pull the back seat out. Tonight. If that is leaking under the seat from the cylinders, like mine was, it will be quite the mess. But it likely sounds like it is coming from connections at pump. You should be easily be able to access the pump from trunk. It’s right under the cover and if you climb in there you can see if one of those connections is leaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in