• 1 Post By leeps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Gas tank issue - 1969

I hope I am not wasting people's time, because I think I know the answer, I just need to air my strategy and see what people think. I just noticed when I fill my tank, gas drips off of each or the forward corners of the tank (forward being close to the axle) and it drips on the exhaust pipe. I tried to reach up to the sending unit gasket and it feels dirty, but dry up there. But what are the chances, it would leak at 2 opposite corners? But it is either leaking there, or at the sending unit and if the latter, it seems doubtful it would run out to the corners.

I guess I know what I need to do, pull the tank, then I can see if the sending unit is leaking or I do have two holes. My questions to y'all are these:

The car had a frame off in 2007 and the tank was replaced. Should I have this tank repaired, or if it does leak, replace it? I have heard a lot of stories about tanks getting damaged in shipment and filler neck fitment. I know what I have and should I just repair it?

If I do replace it, who has good ones? Spectra seems to be common, but am I better off going through OPG or Ames?

I just filled the tank... ARGH! How much gas do I need to take out to get the tank down? Then I need to find a place to put the gas.....

Thanks,
Mike

Torque (tork), n: 1. The tendency of a force to rotate the body to which it is applied. 2. See also: GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
First thing is to try to figure out exactly where it's leaking from. Get it as high in the air as you can if you don't have a lift or access to one. How full do you have to get it before the leak happens? Are you positive it's leaking from the tank itself and not from the filler neck and just running across the top of the tank?
leeps likes this.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
also check for the breather hose in the upper front passenger corner of the tank
sometimes those dont get put on tight.... or at all...
leeps likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Yes agree you need a better look under there. I would also suspect the rubber hose(s) one or two depending if you have a return line. Those are up real high and could leak and drip on the tank front and run down the edges....

Sometimes people will put on a new tank and not change the lines or use a coolant screw type hose clamp for the lines, they could be rotted, never tightened or vibrated loose. If it is hard getting it up, try some mirrors or a remote camera...buy or borrow,

Or try a big mirror laid on the floor, like they do at the car shows.....see if you can see the leak.

If you are in a garage at home make sure you turn off the pilot light on your gas hot water heater before messing with all this fuel.

I bought my tank from Inline tube..they make all the steel lines for brakes and fuel and will get the tank matched right for you, also you may need a new rubber mat that goes above the tank, those deteriorate away.

Good luck..you will get it!
leeps likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Living in Massachusetts we are lucky .(gas only)I don't need the high octane as I reduced my 400 to just under 9.4. You may ask what makes living in Massachusetts lucky is that like many states that are on the coast high octane is still available at gas station near the coast . It is illegal to pump direct to your gas tank except to boat but if you know the owner you can slip in at night and fill up. Not sure if this will last much longer it's not cheap and I would strongly suggest that living in this dump of a state is not fun. It's not called taxachusett for no reason. We also have 93 octane readily available everywhere I can run 89 and still have dyno numbers that are dam good. Doug
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
BearGFR, BLK69Judge and LemansGuy, thanks. Each of you raised a good point.

1. When I posted this, I was just able to make an initial assessment from laying under the car. The next morning, I put it on a lift and definitely found the leak.

2. It was leaking from a nipple at the passenger side upper rear (rear being opposite side of filler neck) section of the tank. This nipple looks to be about 3/8 or 7/16 diameter and protrudes about and inch. The nipple was capped with a rubber plug and the rubber had deteriorated. Gas was leaking, running along the lip and dripping at either end, dripping on to the exhaust pipe. I have only noticed this the last two times I completely filled the tank and this last fillup, it was much more noticeable.

3. I temporarily capped it with a piece of gas line and used a screw type hose clamp. Is that not good? Someone made a comment that sounded like this type of clamp is not good for this. Now, if this nipple is for a breather hose, where is it supposed to be routed? I looked all over and saw no mention of it. I have a vent off the filler neck and it goes into a 'breather type" vent under the trunk.

4. Do I need this other breather from this nipple? If so, can someone send me a link to something that I can get a good look at the parts?

Thanks!

Mike

Torque (tork), n: 1. The tendency of a force to rotate the body to which it is applied. 2. See also: GTO
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
All, thanks for the suggestions. I have come to realize that this nipple on the tank is not relevant to my car's needs (it is a replacement tank) and I have capped it. No more leaks. I have a vent on my filler neck so I will assume this issue is slayed.
integrity6987 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in