User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Help with engine unit number from PHS

Hi Guys, Im a new member to this site but have used it for quite a while as its a great source for info. I posted this under "member introduction" as i couldnt figure out how to post a new thread properly so i apologize for the redundancy

I am in the process of doing a frame off restoration on a 67 gto. I am trying to verify the engine unit number but am having a hard time nailing it down. I was told it was a numbers matching car (no surprise there), I have the PHS docs from the previous owner, everything seems to check out but the engine unit number according to PHS is W27103... i was under the impression this was a 6 digit number which is what i have pulled off the block, the numbers on the block are 271002 WV. I understand the WV is for a 400 with a 4 speed, which is what i have. Any one have some insight on the engine unit code?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

other info: The casting # by the distributor plate is M096 which from what i can tell is dec, 09, 1966. the car was built in the 2nd week of april 1967. delivered to dealer (mike Salta Pontiac, sacramento) april 18th 1967

Thanks, Dustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:45 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT067 View Post
Hi Guys, Im a new member to this site but have used it for quite a while as its a great source for info. I posted this under "member introduction" as i couldnt figure out how to post a new thread properly so i apologize for the redundancy

I am in the process of doing a frame off restoration on a 67 gto. I am trying to verify the engine unit number but am having a hard time nailing it down. I was told it was a numbers matching car (no surprise there), I have the PHS docs from the previous owner, everything seems to check out but the engine unit number according to PHS is W27103... i was under the impression this was a 6 digit number which is what i have pulled off the block, the numbers on the block are 271002 WV. I understand the WV is for a 400 with a 4 speed, which is what i have. Any one have some insight on the engine unit code?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

other info: The casting # by the distributor plate is M096 which from what i can tell is dec, 09, 1966. the car was built in the 2nd week of april 1967. delivered to dealer (mike Salta Pontiac, sacramento) april 18th 1967

Thanks, Dustin
Hmmm. No expert on this, but the Engine Unit Number (EUN) should be 6 numbers. You are showing the letter "W" preceding it, so I might say that is incorrect. It appears the WV is for a California car which should have the A.I.R. system on it. I do not know if the "W" might have been an indicator that it was to be a California car/engine and had to meet California's emissions requirements. That said, can the car be confirmed as coming from or being built in the Freemont, California, facility? That would confirm for me that the engine is correct and the PHS documents are in error - which does indeed happen from the factory.

Look at the head date codes which should be fairly close to the engine casting code build. I believe the distributor will have a dual diaphragm set-up on it and I believe the Carb is also specific to California, but not 100% on that.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the response Pontiacjim, the car according to the vin research was indeed built in the freemont facility. Theres a orange sticker on the radiator upper cross member warning about being equipped with a emissions device. It looks like the smog pump or whatever its called was removed. Also the rochester quadrajet and distributor dont look original to me, the previous owner said he thought the carb was period correct but not the original. i felt like he was shooting me straight on the car at least to the best of his knowledge. I was pleasantly surprised to find out this was a california car for at least part of its life since im over here in maine which is normally rust city. I will have to take a look at the heads and get the dates off of them, thanks for the advice

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:14 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT067 View Post
Thanks for the response Pontiacjim, the car according to the vin research was indeed built in the freemont facility. Theres a orange sticker on the radiator upper cross member warning about being equipped with a emissions device. It looks like the smog pump or whatever its called was removed. Also the rochester quadrajet and distributor dont look original to me, the previous owner said he thought the carb was period correct but not the original. i felt like he was shooting me straight on the car at least to the best of his knowledge. I was pleasantly surprised to find out this was a california car for at least part of its life since im over here in maine which is normally rust city. I will have to take a look at the heads and get the dates off of them, thanks for the advice
OK, sounds like things are matching. The CA car built in Freemont and the orange warning sticker. Not surprised the AIR pump/brackets were pulled or the original distributor. WE have a member here that goes by Goat Roper who has a 1967 GTO that is a CA car and he restored with all the correct CA emissions items intact. I have not seen him on the forum in a while, but a few of his posts detailed his engine with the emissions pump.

Personally, unless I was restoring the car to an original like condition, I would have pulled the pump off myself.

The Q-jets do have a stamping number on them to ID them. Again, if not going original, it should not be an issue.

Looks like the CA emissions decal can be had as a reproduction. Also, Ebay has a California AIR distributor for a 1969 428 which would be similar to your original. The dual diaphragm has 2 hose connections which you can see in the pic I posted. But you can check out Ebay here to see all the pics of the distributor - https://www.ebay.com/itm/69-Pontiac-...Make%3APontiac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 Pontiac California Emissions Decal.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	117615   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 California Smog Distributor.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	117617  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ok thanks PontiacJim. That is the same sticker, looks like the distributor has been changed. I just wanted to get someones opinion on the engine unit # as it seemed like the phs doc didnt have an actual 6 digit unit # and i couldnt seem to make sense of it. Im not a purist so the little stuff to make it original isnt important to me. just wanna have the proper engine, good bones and smoke rolling off the tires when its done. Thanks again, love the knowledge and info available on this site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in