i need power with out decreasing price - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i need power with out decreasing value of the car

what things can i put into my 67 gto without decreasing it's price? Someone told me i can already do stroke + bore. but what else can i do? (400CI 4spd)

Last edited by joser69; 12-05-2004 at 05:11 PM. Reason: it makes more sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 10:16 PM

If you want to keep your 400 all stock looking, #'s matching, etc without having someone poo-poo you for altering the originality and you want more power, your best bet is to pull the heads, have them milled a bit to raise the compression about 1/2 a point, then change the cam to a little bigger, staying with a hyraulic stock setup. The Comp part # 51-222-4 is pretty good on 400's, and its not anything major. You can probably get about 40-50 net HP this way, which may be 30 to the ground, without altering the originaliity too much or even pulling the block out of the car. Your GTO will be faster than all the #'s/#'s/#'s guys cars, and your will be that too.

Now if you want it to LOOK all 100% original, but care less about #'s matching block, put a 70' 455 block in it flat forged pistons and use your 670 casting heads that are pretty much common and correct on all 67 400 GTOs. You will get very high compression in the high 10's this way and the heads are original, so no one can call you on that! Use a decent street/race cam like a comp part # 51-309-4 . Use your original exhaust manifolds, intake, carb. Your car will be pretty darn strong this way. In fact this was my first GTO 455 engine back in 1976, other than I used a cheaper cam than I am recommending for you. This is a premium fuel only motor that even needs a small mix of race fuel to insure it does not detonate. This combination when tuned right can even produce a bit over 4o0HP to the ground through the manifolds. Might even be a good run for a cadillac fleetwood this way.

My Car Collection Home Page. Click to SEE!

My Car Collection Home Page. Click to SEE!

Last edited by Ultra Slow; 12-17-2004 at 10:27 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 07:05 AM

Nice 80 caddy...lot's of work went into that one.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozlert
Nice 80 caddy...lot's of work went into that one.
Thanks,

Actually it was not alot of work at all. Just started with a low mile original. Just a simple engine swap and a few suspension bolt ons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in