User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New guy here, question on trim refurbishing

Hola,

New guy here. Eight years ago I bought a 1967 GTO project someone else had started. It is mostly original and ran and drove when I bought it, though all of the trim was removed, (though included with the car). I finally have the time, space and resources to throw into getting it closer to being something to drive.

My 19 year old nephew will get the car when I pass one day and wants to help with the at home restoration. One of the things he wants to do is clean up the trim on the car, i.e. headlight bezels, door and lower trim (I hesitate to call it chrome as its probably best described as stainless, but he calls it chrome) to re-installation after body work and paint.

I am certain that it has been talked about here before, and it there is a link to such a discussion, please link if for me, but what products and process should we use to accomplish this? I note that there are issues with small rusting on the inside of the passenger's side vent window surround, inner half. What is the best way to clean and refurbish that?

Any advice is welcome. I will have heaps of questions as this proceeds.

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:55 PM
64-67 Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
The headlight bezels, vent windows, and front fender rocker trim (at the bumper) are all chrome plated, not stainless. All of the other trim is stainless on a convertible, but on a hardtop the trim along the top of the doors is anodized aluminum. The stainless can be removed and professionally straightened and polished, and the aluminum can be stripped and re-anodized, or stripped and polished, or stripped, polished, and clear-coated. This work is time consuming and exacting, but will really wake up the appearance of the car. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in