User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Newbie looking for advice

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting me a GTO as a project car. I've been talking with a local guy about a 1971 GTO Judge he has rotting in his back yard and need some advice on what I should offer.

He says the motor was just overhauled and the body all looks pretty sound other than a small bit of cancer in the rear quarter on the passenger side. He says to let him think about it and call him back. I got a feeling I can get it for $4,000 but just in case I'd like to know how high I should be willing to go.

the inside looks complete but looks to have been redone in a velvet cloth. still has the T-Handle Hurst shifter.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If the car is verified as a 71 Judge it would be 1 of 357 produced, do you have a vin number on the car?

Randy

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 08:44 PM

Really depends on how bad you want the car. I would go 6000 if it's an original gto, numbers matching, maybe more. you could always look for another year or two, maybe find something cheaper.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Here is the VIN

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Administrator

It's definitely a GTO Vin number, I can't find the accessory or build sheet code for the Judge option. Here is a website in which you can purchase the PHS documentation which will include the build sheet for that Vin number.

The car is probably worth $6,000 to $10,000 in the current condition, if the car is a Judge those values could easily double.

Here are ads for a rare 71 convertible (1 in 661) and a standard GTO, the cars are bringing top $$$.

Randy

Last edited by 05GTO; 12-27-2005 at 06:15 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 06:26 PM

That is a rare bird assuming the block matches the VIN! I would most certainly jump on it if it is $4000.

I personally would not pay more than $6k for it.

My suggestion would be to play off the Judge angle. make it sound like its not a big deal.

Which to be technical its not. A judge was a stripped GTO with very few options. It just was a bad ass car for the money.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:27 PM

Since you have the VIN, spend $35 and get the car verified by PHS. Here's a link to their website: http://www.phs-online.com

I definitely looks like a legit GTO from the pics. I have my doubts about it being a Judge. If it's a real Judge it should have ram air (or at least evidence of it) and a 455 HO. Most of the time both are gone, that's why I say look for evidence of ram air like cables, screw holes, etc. In addition, the grilles on a Judge were painted black. Also, lift the trunk lid and see if it stays open with the spoiler. Judges came with higher tension trunk rods to support the spoiler.

Otherwise, it looks like a relatively straight car. It looks like there may be some rust bubbles under the front of the hood which is common. Keep in mind that the hood is a very costly piece to replace. I'd say the others are in line with their pricing. $4k would be a good deal for a legit GTO.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Verdoro 68,

Welcome to GTOforum,

Detector,

The engine letter code for a 455 with a manual transmission is WC or WL and the automatic is YC or YE.

Quote:
The 1971 Judge came with the unchanged spoiler on the trunk. You could choose between 14x7 and 15x7 Rally II wheels, with honeycomb rims as an option. It also came with tri-colored side body stripes on the front and rear fender creases. "The Judge" decals were on the front fenders behind the wheel wells. The standard and only Judge engine was the 455 High Output. The 455 HO decals were on both sides of the trunk lid spoiler and on the glovebox.
There were 357 Hardtops and 17 Convertibles built in 1971.
The factory build sheet will show Judge option RPO 332, UPC WT1.
http://www.gtoalley.com/71judge.html

Randy

Last edited by 05GTO; 12-27-2005 at 08:52 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:17 AM

Thanks for the welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in