Newbie questions - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Newbie questions

I think I introduced myself a long time ago. Anyway, I've been looking into getting a 65-67 GTO/Le Mans/Tempest. I'm looking for a "midline" project car, not really a base car but I can't afford a top-of-the-line car either. What are the differences between these three cars, and which one would you consider a "midline" car? I've used Wikipedia and tried finding articles to find out info on these cars but they don't have the exact answers I'm looking for. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I would say the LeMans would be the mid line of those three, however, I would pick a GTO within your price range. If your gunna fix something up, it might as well be a GTO.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking. I've always wanted a GTO but it seems like the price for even a project is a lot more money than a Le Mans, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. How good is the parts availability on these cars, and is it expensive? I know for the Firebird I had to drive all over the place to find halfway decent parts, cars up here in MI are hard to find and so they are really expensive.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Former Super Moderator

Being in Wi myself, I know your pain. (rust!) But I`ve found all the parts I need to restore my `65 GTO on the net through several vendors. Year one, the parts place, the paddock are just a few. You want a GTO though, 10-20 years from now the GTO will be worth far more then the LeMans.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The cost of restoration would more than likely exceed the value of a Tempest or Lemans, Go with the GTO!

There are only a few parts that are hard to find for the 65-67.

Good luck,

Randy

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I plan on restoring it myself, so it shouldn't be a problem. I just need a few pointers here and there. I know tons about second gen Firebirds but jumping into a new car will be tricky for me. I'm trying to find the best place to look for a '65-67 car without dealing with the Barrett-Jackson kind of people.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Former Super Moderator

e-bay is a good place to look. A call to a local GTO club or two, and looking on thier websites might be a good place to score one too.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I found my 66 on Craigslist in March and I found the 67 on this forum about a year ago. I know where a triple black 67 GTO is located, the owner died about 6 months ago and the family is wanting to sell it. It has the correct ys engine and the previous owner installed a 4 speed. It will need a complete restoration, all of the car is there and it runs and drives.

Where are you located?

Randy

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

I am located in Utica, MI. Hard to find any of these cars around here. I pretty much started a full subframe-up resto on the Esprit, but then realized that I was putting too much into a car that was most likely twisted, and the more I tore apart and restored, the more I realized what was wrong with it.
That just means that I'm not afraid to restore a car myself. Just seems more fun, it makes it more of my car, I can make it exactly how I want it, and set it up exactly how I want it so if something goes wrong, it's easier for me to figure out what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in