one problem down one to go - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
one problem down one to go

well the new straight heat choke rod solved the problem car starts cold now and idles without dying when cold, I believe I had a 2 barrel vhoke rod on there..oops.. now the other major problem I have warm or cold when im at WOT at around 50 or so ill bog right down if I let off itll accelerate again to say 60-65 then bog i let off it comes back if I stay at wot it stays bogged down...I dont think its a fuel delivery problem, (aftermarket 130 gph fuel pump) and I dont think its too much fuel it fine if I accelerate normally... its not plugs or wires all new a few different times same results and I have a pertronix unit I know works well.....so im left with distributor weights? or is it possible my secondaries arent opening up so maybe I need ot do a little rod bending?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

update

I am thinking now something with the secondary the car was arm when I did this not at operating temp but when I put the carb linkage at full throttle I couldnt open the secondaries but when I hold the primary all the way open by hand then I can also if I push in the plunger on the carb I cant open it is sometyhing wrong with the lockout or travel?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 10:15 PM

my1971gto4spd,

Yikes! Does that ever sound familiar to me. I had the exact same thing happening to my car(1970 RamAirIII 455 +.030). I found that if I stood on the throttle it would scream through first and then I'd shift into second and it was as though I shut off the ignition. It would just die if I didn't let off wait a second and then stand on it again. What I discovered was that at some point in it's life the QJet was rebuilt with a standard inlet needle and seat .110" This is simply too small. I went to the .130 and the trouble vanished. No more problems at all. You can even go up to the mondo .147" unit from right here:

http://www.carburetion.com/Quads/r4needle.asp

But just remember to readjust your float level. After I made the jump to the giant inlet needle and seat I saw raw fuel dripping from everywhere inside the Carb. Not good!! The larger inlet causes the float level to rise way too much so keep that in mind if you change the inlet and the engine won't idle right.
Drop the float level and it will clear right up.

Just my cents...

Turbo

Last edited by Turbo; 04-19-2006 at 12:17 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks

im going to go throught the adjustment basics first, but I will definitely chck nto the needle size and having that site for the parts is super thank you
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:47 AM

With the engine off, first make sure the choke is fully open and cycle the throttle linkage to be sure that the both secondary butterflies (in the carb base) open and the secondary air valve (in the top of the carb) can be opened as well. The choke mechanism can lock them out if the choke is partially applied. The secondary airvalve opens from air flow, not linkage, so once the carb is wide open you should be able to push down lightly on the air valve and make it open.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 10:16 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also, check your secondary airvalve spring windup. If it's too loose, you'll get the fall-on-your-face problem. Spring windup on your car should be about 3/4 turn for good secondary operation.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

getting closer

Well, cold everything seems fine but at operating temp, the choke is wide open no problems, but when I press on the secondaries they go down about 1/4 inch and then still open all the way but after the 1/4" they push harder and when i crack the throttle they only go down about 1/4" so either sticky shaft or the spring adjustment (as mentioned) I am guessing. Sound right?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 02:29 AM

We need some more definition here. The secondary air valve should get slightly stiffer as it opens and you should feel some spring tension on it at all times. As Lars pointed out, if the spring that controls the opening is backed off too far or broken and the air valve opens with no resistance, you're well on your way to bog city.
Quote:
and when i crack the throttle they only go down about 1/4" so either sticky shaft or the spring adjustment (as mentioned)
Exactly what do you mean? Is this with the engine running or off? And, are the secondary butterflys open or closed at the time that the air valve only opens part way?
One more test. Take it out for a drive and once it is warmed up and you're at about 20 mph, depress the throttle slowly, so that it takes about 5 seconds to go from your 20 mph throttle position to full throttle and report back how the car behaved.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

update

when I cracked the throttle this was at idle with the engine at operating temp and as far as I could tell the secondary butterflies didnt open, the pressure on the air valves was also when it was running when its not running theres no pressure of course because there is no vacuum. I know the basics of the quadrajet but not all the specific names of components so I may need a little hand holding here. I have a great book from 1973 called rochester carburetors by doug roe and bill fisher that has helped me learn quite a bit. I will try the 20 mph test after work this evening thanks again for your help Chad
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:32 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can't operate the secondaries on a Q-Jet in neutral by "winging" the throttle. The secondary airvalve will stay closed until the engine is under load and there is airflow demand for the secondaries. Depending on secondary airvalve spring windup, you can sometimes slam the throttle to the wide open position momentarily while in neutral and see the airvalve just barely crack open. But to better check it, with the engine off, you can verify that your throttle cable is pulling the secondary throttle shaft fully open (have someone push the pedal to the floor and verify that the throttle lever goes to the full open position). If this is happening, the secondaries are working. Don't understand the "secondaries going down 1/4"" comment... the secondaries don't go down...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in