soundboard for my cuttout problem - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
soundboard for my cuttout problem

Ok, now that I know that I have a resistor wire and dont need the ceramic ballast resistor I hae two scenarios that I have done that I need some confirmation on:

1. when I had a power blaster coil on the car and pertronix unit I had the stock power wire (+) hooked up which is a resistor to the coil which is internally resisted.

2. when I had points and a stock coil I used a ballast resistor along with what I now know is a wire resistor. So i gave even more resistance.

In both these cases I gave the system more resistance than needed so I cut down my spark .....
my problems have been had hot starting and cutting out at wot (when I of course need more spark)

so is my train of thought on this correct? By running a wire that is hot at key on position and starting position that isnt a resistor wire then the blaster coil and petronix will work properly OR

if I use points and stock coil with ONLY the + resistor wire then I will get hte proper spark and not start as hard and not cut out at WOT....

sorry to ramble on but I want to make sure I am looking at this clearly, given what I have Id like to keep the current pertronix and blaster coil running a new power wire vs. points/stock coil/ resistor wire.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With the stock points setup, you should just be running the stock resistor wire to the "+" side of the coil with no additional ballast.

With the PerTronix, you can run full 12 volts to the "+" side of the coil, so you can run a new wire from an "IGN" source at your fusebox to the coil to bypass the stock resistor wire.

Just as a sidenote, I've had bad luck with the PerTronix systems, and I remove them out of all the cars I tune and set up. The stock points system works very well with a good set of points in it (use NAPA/Echlin part number CS786 with an RR175 capacitor). This will run through 7000 rpm with no points bounce (I have a Sun distributor machine that I run all my distributors on, and I have verified this). If you want a nice upgrade to the stock points system, install an MSD6A with the points and use a good coil. This is the only ignition system upgrade that I actually see a performance improvement on the dyno runs we've done. The MSD setup will take a full 12 volts.

This may or may not fix your cutout problem, as many Pontiac high-rpm cutout issues are related to fuel supply issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in