Template needed for vinyl top trim - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Template needed for vinyl top trim

I have a 65 2 door hard top and would like to install a vinyl top.I have the trim but I'm not sure where it goes exactly and since you need to drill some holes for the clips I am wanting to be sure and only drill once.If someone has a vinyl top car and would trace a template I am more than willing to make it worth their while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:53 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
As a 40-year GTO guy, and past owner of vinyl top cars, please reconsider. All vinyl top cars trap moisture which causes the top to rust over time. Every old GTO that I had that had factory vinyl required roof repair, sometimes extensive. If the car came without a vinyl top, adding one is a downgrade, IMO. While I like the look of a vinyl top on some cars, the '64-'67 GTO's look much cleaner without one.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I certainly appreciate your reply and I have no doubt that the concerns of a vinyl top attracting moister and promoting rust is very true.This might be the last car that I do and a vinyl top just looks good in my humble opinion.My car needed everything when I got it five years ago and since it wasn't more than a base model low option unit,I feel that the value has increased considerably since bringing it back to life after sitting since 1978.I am going with the stock color so as not to take away from how it looked in 1965 and would appreciate knowing where to drill the holes for the trim clips before it gets sprayed.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:06 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I hear you. The last vinyl top '65 I owned got sold in 1992 to a friend and painted in 2005. At that time, the roof was rebuilt ( extensive rust repaired) the holes for the trim welded shut, and the car was finished with no vinyl top. The owner sold the trim for cheap ($400 or so IIRC) and has never looked back. Hopefully someone with a vinyl top '64 or '65 can chime in. '64's use the same trim as it is the same roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in