Where can I buy HEI Distributor/ tri power - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Where can I buy HEI Distributor/ tri power

I recently purchased a HEI distributor from A Team Performance. Said it fit ALL Pontiac big and small blocks. Tried to put it on my 65 tri power and no way would it fit. Not enough clearance from the intake manifold. Can anyone help ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Just google Pontiac 389, 400 small cap HEI....you will see em MSD has one, a few other guys,..coil is external but has the module and HEI look.

Those big original size HEI are a larger diameter, so it can get difficult to stuff it in. Or put a module in a standard points distributor and use an external coil as original.

Also google the old article “Ignition performance test, ignition shootout: points vs HEI, HOT ROD Network”......

Just skip all the fluff and go to the Dino sheet at the bottom, not 2 or three HP difference in any of them,..points even better sometimes.

If you are running a street car it won’t make any difference. Now if you are a racer, that is different and you need every slight advantage, like HEI can give at sustained high rpm’s.

So you could return yours and re group to a smaller diameter, and still have a module or “ small body HEI” as MSD calls them.

Other guys supply them too.

Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:58 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiko View Post
I recently purchased a HEI distributor from A Team Performance. Said it fit ALL Pontiac big and small blocks. Tried to put it on my 65 tri power and no way would it fit. Not enough clearance from the intake manifold. Can anyone help ? Thanks

Ooops, there is your first mistake. Pontiac did not make a "small" or "big" block - they are all the same dimension unlike Chevy, Ford, or Mopar.

The typical HEI having the "big cap" will not work with a tri-power. Many have found out what you have learned. These non-Pontiac guys selling aftermarket products for Pontiacs will tell you anything to make the sale. Return it for a full refund and tell them you will be looking for them to cover shipping. Then read them the riot act because if they are going to be selling Pontiac parts, they better learn their trade. I wonder if they told you how to wire the HEI for the required 12Volts and eliminate your factory resistor wire?

I could not explain it any better than Lemans guy did for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in