User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why 1967 GTO?

Hello... i'm brand new to the Forum...

i don't know very much about GTO's, but i do like the look of the '67... i am looking for advice on the car : one of those things - i don't know why, but i know that i like it... could you fill me in if this is going to be a good year to buy, and what i should look out for (typical problems w/the '67), what options are desireable, how much should i spend and how i KNOW that what i buy is ACTUALLY a GTO...

thanks for your valuable time...

Last edited by Patrick; 10-08-2004 at 01:41 PM. Reason: additional question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 02:21 PM

I'll give you what information I can. The 67 is the first year of the 400 engine block and the first year that no longer came with the 3x2 carb set up. They are quite a nice car aestically especially with the slit tail lights and long elegant body. Trouble spots on these as well as most muscle cars are between the wheel and door on the lower portions of the fender where they tend to rot. Also right behind the package tray and rear window. The 670 heads are one of the finest heads, behind the 16's, that were not ram air heads. They still were optioned with the rally I rims and a 4-speed could be quite desireable. Hope this will shed a little light on the situation.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Yes... that did help...

tanks!!!!!!

PS - what is "OG?"

Last edited by Patrick; 10-08-2004 at 03:02 PM. Reason: PS

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
how much should i spend and how i KNOW that what i buy is ACTUALLY a GTO...

thanks for your valuable time...
67 GTO's can range from $2,500 for a parts car to well over $30,000 for a profesionally restored goat. The vin number on the true 67 goat should start with 242*********. It's wise to check that to verify you are not buying a modified tempest or lemans. Also I believe 67 was the first year of the his/her dual gate shifter.

I am also new to this forum, very nice site, my first car in the early 70's was the 67, what a fun car!

Randy

Last edited by 05GTO; 10-09-2004 at 01:00 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 02:20 PM

What should I do?

The first question i got is I have a 1972 LeMans with a 350 I have been contimplating what to do with it. I think i want to make it into a 71 GTO Judge clone because i have a 1970 455 that would be perfect for the car, but on the other hand I have the original paper work on the car. I have the original sales receipt from the dealership it was purchased at and the receipt stub for the payoff on the car. In my opinion it is jus a LeMans, but i also dont know the rareness of the car. Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do with this car? Now I have another car its a 68 GTO I found it in a junkyard with no fenders or nose on it. It has a hood all the glass a bad passenger door and the quarters and trunk are pretty rough. I'm payin $200 for it with a 400c.i. 2bbl. It has the Ram Air hood with it, but it is a peg leg. Anyhow the ol boy im gettin it off of said he had a title for it. If he dont I was thinkin i would go a head and get it and drag race it. Because i just can't see lettin a Goat out ta pasture when I could put it to use. What do ya think I should do with this one?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Yes... that did help...

tanks!!!!!!

PS - what is "OG?"

OG stands for OriGinal.

My 68 looks like it just came off the assembly line from Fremont. Nice but not perfect. Whereas my 04 has been modded slightly.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The '67 is definitely the best-selling GTO of all time. It sold about 96,000 units. I really like it. If you can get a deal on one, get it!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:57 PM

I recently bought a 66 gto. The minor differences between it and 67- the 66 can have factory tri-power carbs (3 deuces its sometimes called), louvers over the rear tail lights, a slightly lower chrome trim piece on the sides, a 389 instead of 400 CID. (but that is not a big difference in everyday driving). the bagding is on the body sides instead of the chrome. Then there are different setups for auto vs. manual. I believe the 66 came with a factory hurst shifter three speed available (which mine has).
One other thing to look for when shopping is pontiac historical society documentation. That helps to value the car as far as "numbers matching" or not. Also, verify the trim tag information matches the car if you plan on spending for that much detail.
good luck.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 09:16 PM
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
The 66 and 67 are so close when you just look them over. I spent a few months deciding which I preferred. For me it came down to the rear of the car. I LOVE the 66 louvered tail lights but the bumper and q-panel trim flare out in a large crescent for use with the Tempest/Lemans tail lights. It just doesn't flow for me. The 67 has the straight bumper and trim line to follow the tail lights. I wish Pontiac had kept the 66 lights as well.... I actually prefer the 66 grilles a little but, again, they are so close to the 67 that it isn't an aesthetic issue for me. The interiors are almost identical. There are subtle changes as with most cars of the day to keep buyers coming back for the "new" model. The one thing that surprised and cost me a chunk of change is the fact that a number of the 67 components are a 1 year only and can be hard to find and expensive when starting with a stripped, rotten car like I did. The rocker trim is massive and hard to find in decent condition at a cost that doesn't require a second mortgage. The steering column and pedals can be difficult to find. The frame has a slight change at the front crossmember too and I drove from MN to central OK last spring to get a correct frame for my car. My car will by no means be even close to numbers matching but I do want to retain as much of the original appearance as possible. I don't care for Black interior so that will be the biggest change from original. It will be finished in Parchment and Dark Turquoise.

You're tastes will dictate what options you want like either an automatic or manual trans, A/C, PS,PB, convertible...etc. Now is a good time to buy with the prices still depressed but take your time and do plenty of research on how to decode the trim plate to check for originality. Also, once you get serious about a particular car, get the PHS documentation for it, if the seller doesn't already have it. It will tell you EXACTLY how the car was configured at the factory. If looking at a mid to high end restoration by all means have it evaluated by someone with experience in these cars. Rust issues alone can be a big problem later, if they weren't properly addressed.

Mitch
1967 GTO; Gulf Turquoise on Black, 4 speed, buckets SOLD
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 08:39 PM

Hello,

I am working on a 67 gto that I came into the middle of. I have some questions on certain parts for reassembly.

1. Do I need a C clip to hold the wiper transmission to the wiper motor?

2. How do I orient the rear 1/4 glass to install them in the car? The gto is a hard top.

3. The car has factory air. So which inner fender does the washer fluid bracket bolt to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in