Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a stock '06 GTO and took it to the track yesterday to school my mate in his '08 Mustang CS, he's slightly modded with cold air and a tune while I'm 100% stock. We have never been near a track before so it was a great time learning how it all works, trying to do burn outs, figuring out the lights etc. Boy was it fun but I can't figure out how he kept up with me. I know the GTO is a good 400lb heavier but it should have 50-70hp more than his vehicle and he's manual where I'm auto, I would have thought there would be a greater difference than this. I was also laying rubber for a long way down the strip where he wasn't, this is where I think the issue is...

So blokes, how do I get my goat to move faster? Start with tyres? Cold air?

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
I recently bought a stock '06 GTO and took it to the track yesterday to school my mate in his '08 Mustang CS, he's slightly modded with cold air and a tune while I'm 100% stock. We have never been near a track before so it was a great time learning how it all works, trying to do burn outs, figuring out the lights etc. Boy was it fun but I can't figure out how he kept up with me. I know the GTO is a good 400lb heavier but it should have 50-70hp more than his vehicle and he's manual where I'm auto, I would have thought there would be a greater difference than this. I was also laying rubber for a long way down the strip where he wasn't, this is where I think the issue is...

So blokes, how do I get my goat to move faster? Start with tyres? Cold air?
you in the left lane? mustang in the right lane?
The times look about right to me... your launch looks pretty good with a 1.9 60'. You could run a little faster if you let your engine cool off for a while.
A cold air will help a little bit but pricey if you ask me. I bought one from summit trick flow for $220. Turned out to be a K&N for much cheaper. And i have jba shorty headers which really made a difference like .2-.3 in the 1/8 mile. Dont listen to people that say they arent worth it. And the predator tune is worth it with these cars because of the torque management reduction makes a dramatic improvement in throttle response. It just feels like more instant power. These are a few things you can do for a subtle power increase. I got tired of paying a load of money on marginal power increases so i went ahead with a nitrous setup and its working out great so far. All i really want to do is go to the track sometimes and run a impressive time so i just saved the money on the trinkets and went with a big power adder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, yeah, I was 044 on the left and he was 060 on the right, we ran 4 times, these were our best times, not much in it really...
So it sounds like actual engine work to go faster then, I was hoping tyres or cold air would give me enough to make 12s...

Cheers.

·
Registered
505 Posts
oh yes a set of drag slicks or drag radials would let you launch harder. You could probably hit 12's easily then. Its possible to hit 12's on street tires with a stock GTO but conditions have to be perfect. The time you ran is pretty typical for a stock LS2 GTO. Not bad at all!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I ran at Pittsburgh Raceway Park when it was Keystone Raceway. Great strip.

Your 60' is good. His needs help.

You had 2 mph on him in the 1/8 and 3 mph in 1/4. So you are making the hp you should be.

The Mustang had an intake so that helped him a bit.

If I were you I'd start with the intake, the GTO has a poor induction system. The air box is stuck right behind the radiator shroud and it has a smallish opening to get air in. Work on getting more air into the motor. Some cold air kits are good and some are bad. The bad ones pull too much underhood air.

The stock exhaust flows pretty well, the benefit there is minimal unless you do headers.

Next thing I'd do is get a Diablosport Predator tuner or a similar one. There is a ton of torque management in the stock tune and by using the Diablosport stock tune you'll get a couple tenths and a mph.

So if you want to get into the 12's, go cold air, tuner and then DR's and you'll hit the high 12's with consistancy.

Nice job beating up the Mustang.

·
Registered
342 Posts
thats a really good 60'

ive run my GTO at least 15 times down the strip and cant break 2.06! then again im manual =P

good times for stock and newbie.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yea I doubt you were spinning with a 1.9 sixty. That's pretty impressive for an experienced racer. Amazing for a first timer!!! Sticky tires are the best mod you can make for your money if you plan to race at the track alot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts