Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so it was a 1990 ZR-1 but still...a kill is a kill. And to say that I added a ZR-1 to my kill list sounds REALLY good :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice! Hey the 1990 ZR1 was king of the hill in it's time. 375 horse LT5.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The C4 ZR-1 was the king of the Corvette hill alright. Until the C6 Z06 came along the C4 ZR-1 was the fastest Corvette. They are capable of mid 12 second 1/4 mile times and run into the 180's for a top speed. In 1993 they got a bump to 405 hp and were low 12 second cars with some drivers breaking into the 11's with just DR's and a top speed of 190. The 1993 and up cars are faster than a C6 Vette and a C5 Z06 Vette. The 32 valve engins were deep brathers and the cars are extremely fast from 70 to 150, almost as fast in that range as the C6 Z06 Vette.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW...impressive! I feel even better about that kill now...those cars a legitimately quick!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nice kill! :cheers

The C4 ZR-1 was the king of the Corvette hill alright. Until the C6 Z06 came along the C4 ZR-1 was the fastest Corvette. They are capable of mid 12 second 1/4 mile times and run into the 180's for a top speed. In 1993 they got a bump to 405 hp and were low 12 second cars with some drivers breaking into the 11's with just DR's and a top speed of 190. The 1993 and up cars are faster than a C6 Vette and a C5 Z06 Vette. The 32 valve engins were deep brathers and the cars are extremely fast from 70 to 150, almost as fast in that range as the C6 Z06 Vette.
There are bone stock C5 Z06's in the 11's without DR's. If you want to say the C4 ZR-1 is about equal to a C5 Z06 or base C6 then I would agree with you but I wouldnt say its faster. That has been argued a lot on the Corvette Forum, which Im sure you have seen the threads on there. The C4 ZR-1 also weighs more than both the Z06 and C6 and has roughly the same hp depending on the year. You can go here to see the times of bone stock Z06's with stock tires.

The C5 Z06 Fast List - Corvette Forum

I hope you dont take what I said the wrong way, the C4 ZR-1 is still a bad ass car and was the king of the hill during its time, but it hasnt been since at least the '02 Z06 came out. :cheers

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Nice kill! :cheers

There are bone stock C5 Z06's in the 11's without DR's. If you want to say the C4 ZR-1 is about equal to a C5 Z06 or base C6 then I would agree with you but I wouldnt say its faster. That has been argued a lot on the Corvette Forum, which Im sure you have seen the threads on there. The C4 ZR-1 also weighs more than both the Z06 and C6 and has roughly the same hp depending on the year. You can go here to see the times of bone stock Z06's with stock tires.

The C5 Z06 Fast List - Corvette Forum

I hope you dont take what I said the wrong way, the C4 ZR-1 is still a bad ass car and was the king of the hill during its time, but it hasnt been since at least the '02 Z06 came out. :cheers
If you look on the fast list at the CAI and DOT tires you will see my Z06. I was listed as third. They couldn't read my timeslip so they put me as 11.5xx. The car ran a 11.501 which would have put me in first place. I never pushed the issue, I bought the car used and it might have had a tune before I purchased it so it might be in the wrong group.

The 1993 ZR-1 gave the Z06 a run for it's money might be more correct than the ZR-1 is faster. It's a drivers race. Is that fair???

I'll still stand by the ZR-1 in a 70-150 race over the C5 Z06 and very close to the C6 Z06. The ZR-1 also had a higher top speed than the C6 base or Z51 or the C5 Z06.

That's an almost 20 year old car too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you look on the fast list at the CAI and DOT tires you will see my Z06. I was listed as third. They couldn't read my timeslip so they put me as 11.5xx. The car ran a 11.501 which would have put me in first place. I never pushed the issue, I bought the car used and it might have had a tune before I purchased it so it might be in the wrong group.

The 1993 ZR-1 gave the Z06 a run for it's money might be more correct than the ZR-1 is faster. It's a drivers race. Is that fair???

I'll still stand by the ZR-1 in a 70-150 race over the C5 Z06 and very close to the C6 Z06. The ZR-1 also had a higher top speed than the C6 base or Z51 or the C5 Z06.

That's an almost 20 year old car too.
I agree with you that its a drivers race since they are very close in performance. Im not sure what the ZR-1's top speed was rated at but I know the C5 and C5 Z06 can go faster than what their top speed was rated at. Ive seen it too many times on the Corvette Forum. But again, the C4 ZR-1 is still a bad ass car. :cheers Thats one of the few C4's that I do like.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I agree with you that its a drivers race since they are very close in performance. Im not sure what the ZR-1's top speed was rated at but I know the C5 and C5 Z06 can go faster than what their top speed was rated at. Ive seen it too many times on the Corvette Forum. But again, the C4 ZR-1 is still a bad ass car. :cheers Thats one of the few C4's that I do like.
I've seen several road tests that show the C4 ZR-1 running mid 180's for a top speed. A couple road tests had 191 listed as the top speed and a couple had the top speed at 178-181. I believe the LT5 was a hand built engine, assembled by Mercury Marine using technology from Lotus and the Chevy small block as the basis. If it was hand built I would bet my house that there was a bunch of variance between cars.

I do know the ZR-1 set a couple endurance records in the early 1990's. One was an average speed of 175 mile per hour for 24 hours. To set that record, including fuel stops and driver changes it would have to be well into the 180's on the track. C5's topped out in the mid 170's. The Z06 was actually a bit slower top speed than the regular C5. The C6 was rated at 186 with the LS2 and 192 with the current LS3.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah , I was about to jump in and call BS.... :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did you get a GT500?
Lol, no i didn't get a GT500 "gm4life" I was waiting to get someone's attention :) Sorry to yank your chains.

On the serious tip, I am going down to Ricart Ford tomorrow morning to look at the GT500. I'll need to put down $5000.00 just to order and it won't be available until Janurary. In addition, I'm going to work overtime to pay off my 04' Cobra and use it as a trade in. That should bring my monthly note to a reasonable payment. Otherwise I was looking at $1000.00 a month, not something I want to do.

Check it out, they have two KR's on the home page.

Ricart Automotive Group, New Ford, Hyundai, Nissan, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Pre-Owned dealership in Groveport, OH 43125

I will have a GT500 by next summer, that's for sure.

DISCLAIMER: If I can convince my wife, then I'm good :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
was reading about the zr1 and thought id give you guys some vids to ck out on U TUBE type in joeshmoe12301230 and you will get a list of vids of both my zr1s at famoso raceway blk car is a 90 with only headers and410 gears the white car is all a stk 92 with 3.92 gears. ck the mile an hr on these cars in a roll race they act like a mid 11 sec car.irs rear suspension makes these cars a tough launch at the strip.60 fts on both cars were 1.95-2.06 on street tires. i also have an 06 gto thats my dd .and i love it

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I'm talking about this part.......
I don't see what you don't understand.

I wrote that in the 70- 150 range the ZR-1 is almost as fast. That doesn't mean as fast or faster.

The way the ZR-1 could be almost as fast as the C6 Z06 is, the ZR-1 was underated, made it's power at the top of the rev range and was geared perfectly for the power band of the engine at those speeds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have raced my drothers 07 zo6from 60 to 130 with my blk 90 zr1 and get him by a car. his is all stk and mine does have headers and custom spin tec exhaust .it really pisses him off that my old gal does that to him:lol:

·
Super Moderator
2,639 Posts
i have raced my drothers 07 zo6from 60 to 130 with my blk 90 zr1 and get him by a car. his is all stk and mine does have headers and custom spin tec exhaust .it really pisses him off that my old gal does that to him:lol:
Boy I wish you had that on video. I'd love to have a 90 ZR1 in the stable.

So what happens after 130? Do you guys stop there or continue on where he starts to regain ground?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts