Hot Rod Power Tour track time!!! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hot Rod Power Tour track time!!!

I got to hit the track at Montgomery Motorsports Park yesterday on our first leg of the Hot Rod Power Tour. This was the FIRST time I've ever drag raced in my life and obviously the first time my goat has seen a track. The first run I did an 1/8th mile burnout before it hooked and was so embarrassed I didn't even stop and get the time slip. The 2nd and 3rd time still had tons of wheel spin but I ran better then 80-90% of the cars there.

The conditions were brutal. 98 degrees. To get into the top ten for the day and win a free case of Royal Purple HPS motor oil I had to do better then a 12.7. I am running a stock suspension with 78,000 milles on it as well as Kuhmo Ecsta all season (rain, sleet, snow garbage tire but good for the monsoon rainy season on Gulf Coast Alabama). Again, before flames, please remember this was the first time I've ever drag raced, on a garbage tire, with crap suspension. Now let the flames begin, lol.

2nd run (1st time slip): .579 RT, 2.095 60 ft., 5.71 330, 8.61 1/8th @ 85 mph, 1/4 mile 13.28 @ 105.4.

3rd run (2nd time slip): .624 RT, 2.155 60 ft., 5.75 330, 8.63 1/8th @ 86.2, 1/4 mile 13.23 @ 106.9.

Special thanks to forum member JETSTANG for helping me from the tower on his cell phone coaching me after I made an ass out of myself on the first run, lol. Was great to meet you in person Dan and am looking forward to seeing on you future Power Tours! If we're ever around Niceville, I'll give you a holler for sure!

What I took from this: I am faster then a 5.0 Coyote. They were running 13.5s and 13.6s all day with one squeeking into the 13.3s. I am faster then SRT8 Challengers, stock C5s and C6s (I couldn't believe how bad the vettes were running, the Z06s were in the mid to high 12s but the rest were stuck in the mid 13s), all this with garbage tires and tired supsension, not bragging at all, just proud as hell, even with a slow slip time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Garage
Great to meet you also Dustin.. 1st run was no joke a huge burnout, he pulled through the water and went straight to the line, didn't even shake the water out of the tires. He laid at least 200' of rubber before lifting, it was humorous.. After some coaching he did really good, told him to launch out about 10' or so then hammer it, after a little burn out to dry the tires. He got a 2.09 60', not bad at all for street tires at full pressure. And he was faster than alot of other cars there, but it was hell hot, my car said it was 97 degrees when I left at 6 pm!! His car is faster, but for a first time he did great. Pulling in to the complex he pulled up behind me and I heard his car rumble up with my AC on and windows closed.. I got a couple pics of you getting racing the 66 GTO, but that GTO was damn quick, one of the faster cars there, except for the Viper running 11's. That goat was LS powered, Dustin has other pics of it at the vendors booth..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

Last edited by jetstang; 06-08-2011 at 06:21 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
hey if you gotta get beat at least its a Pontiac brother....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

My wife finally got the videos up on facebook. We are running behind on getting out of Nashville. I wanted to be on the road by now. Gotta be at Indianapolis by noon! I'll try to get the links and stuff put up here after the craziness this afternoon. Gonna do the Lucus Oil E3 spark plugs Dyno Challenge today. My family from Chicago and Indy are gonna be there. Should be a good time. Will post a video of that and some numbers probably once we get up to the Muskegon, MI stop. By for now!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
are you going to the finale at Metro Beach on Friday?, i may be there....(probably not with my car ) as thats a little far for an untested complete re-build, mines like the one you raced, one of them stacked headlight jobs, and pretty close to your color, would be cool to see them side by side for a photo, i am right on your route home also..... getting my plates today and still have quite a bit of upholstery to finish and need to cut and buff the paint before putting all the exterior trim back on. Let me know and i will Look for your car and buy you a pop Dusty (or Soda as you say down south) ....

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Back from vacation. No, I didn't go all the way to Detroit. We did the Muskegon stop and turned around and headed back to IL for a couple days to visit my family. I got a ton of pics I got to get off my camera and put on facebook along with 2 or 3 videos going down the track. Got a good video of my passenger shooting the last track run I had against the '66 Goat. Had a TON of fun.

Got to talk to the Lingenfelters and got pics of the C7 concept (Sideswipe) from Transformers 2. Got to meet David Reagan from Nascar. Only bummer was getting let down on the dyno (2nd time the Hot Rod dyno read lower then my Speed Shop's dyno). Pulled 18 hp less on the Power Tour Dyno Jet then my house Dyno Jet. Oh well. I still had the high pull of the day buy about 100 hp until the big dogs running the 118 octane with the sheet metal intakes and F3 Pro Chargers came to the plate. Watched one guy blow a header tube off the bottom of his motor when the rollers spun to 1050 rwhp. He was back the next day and put down 1380!!! That was a trip. Another guy who had an even stouter setup had his ribbed belt on his Procharger break on him while on the dyno so didn't get to see his numbers. Already looking forward to next year! :-), Hopefully will have all pics and videos up by tomorrow night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in