Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into a twin turbo GTO this morning. He looked and sounded stock, but I should have known something was up when he was all too eager to run my C5 Z06.

He was a black 04 GTO and he had a twin turbo kit. He took me each time with three tries.

It was cold so we only chatted for a couple seconds with the windows down, but he had the TT, built transmission and torque converter, 3.73 gears and some suspension stuff. Said he put 550 to the wheels which seemed awefull high to me, but the car ran good.

Each time we ran I would initially get a car or so lead and he would work his way back to 2 cars lead.

We ran from a dig to 80, 30 to 100 and 80 to 125.

I'd guess my car is in the low 360 range to the wheels and he weighs 600 pounds more than me so if he would have said 440 or 450 it might have been more believeable. The only thing I can think is he took the rwhp and converted to net of 550 flywheel and meant to just say 550 and not 550 to the wheels.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Also ferg buy him being TT he might have just been running low boost. You should have asked how much psi he was running ......................... Or lying

·
GTOAA 04-06 Technical Advisor
228 Posts
Ran into a twin turbo GTO this morning. He looked and sounded stock, but I should have known something was up when he was all too eager to run my C5 Z06.

He was a black 04 GTO and he had a twin turbo kit. He took me each time with three tries.

It was cold so we only chatted for a couple seconds with the windows down, but he had the TT, built transmission and torque converter, 3.73 gears and some suspension stuff. Said he put 550 to the wheels which seemed awefull high to me, but the car ran good.

Each time we ran I would initially get a car or so lead and he would work his way back to 2 cars lead.

We ran from a dig to 80, 30 to 100 and 80 to 125.

I'd guess my car is in the low 360 range to the wheels and he weighs 600 pounds more than me so if he would have said 440 or 450 it might have been more believeable. The only thing I can think is he took the rwhp and converted to net of 550 flywheel and meant to just say 550 and not 550 to the wheels.
550 to the wheels with a TT GTO is low. He should be 600-700 depending on pressure. At that is at the wheels. I have assisted in 2 builds and built one myself. The one I built was not a stock bottom end, but the other 2 were. The forged bottom had the inlet pipe to the T/B keep blowing off at 13psi and at that it was making 740. The other 2 were GenTT and APS. GenTT is making 575 and the APS was making 650. The APS car recently got larger turbos so he yanked the engine and is putting a 427 with the works. He is looking for upper 900 to low 1000ish.

My personal GTO is NA and over 500. It is soooooo much fun to school a forced induction car.

·
Registered
738 Posts
550 to the wheels with a TT GTO is low. He should be 600-700 depending on pressure. At that is at the wheels. I have assisted in 2 builds and built one myself. The one I built was not a stock bottom end, but the other 2 were. The forged bottom had the inlet pipe to the T/B keep blowing off at 13psi and at that it was making 740. The other 2 were GenTT and APS. GenTT is making 575 and the APS was making 650. The APS car recently got larger turbos so he yanked the engine and is putting a 427 with the works. He is looking for upper 900 to low 1000ish.

My personal GTO is NA and over 500. It is soooooo much fun to school a forced induction car.
He could have small turbos with a high spool but I still say he was running Low boost.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
He was probally running on a street tune to save his turbos. I know someone who varies about 150 HP from their conservative street tune to their track day tune.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes sense with two different tunes.

He definately didn't have 550 hp at the wheels when I ran him.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We definitely have to run when I get my heads and Cam installed. (At the track of course) Good run and hope you had a good holidays!
I had a great Holiday. Hope the same for you.

I've added a Vararam intake and I'm looking at a Bassani exhaust. They're a bit loud, but they are the only ones that really get you any gain over the stock Ti exhaust. They add a few pounds of weight too, so I might just stay stock.

I was driving through Waldo last week. A cop came out behind me. I thought surely he's not going to get me for 1 mph over, but you know how Waldo is. He followed me for a couple blocks and then turned off. My guess is he ran the plate and it was clean. I was thinking I might need to get in touch with you on that one. I usually keep it 2 or 3 under, but I've herd if your too much under they pull you for obstructing the flow of traffic.

We got some good cool weather so it's track time for sure. I'm going to Speedworld on Wednesday.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a great Holiday. Hope the same for you.

I've added a Vararam intake and I'm looking at a Bassani exhaust. They're a bit loud, but they are the only ones that really get you any gain over the stock Ti exhaust. They add a few pounds of weight too, so I might just stay stock.

I was driving through Waldo last week. A cop came out behind me. I thought surely he's not going to get me for 1 mph over, but you know how Waldo is. He followed me for a couple blocks and then turned off. My guess is he ran the plate and it was clean. I was thinking I might need to get in touch with you on that one. I usually keep it 2 or 3 under, but I've herd if your too much under they pull you for obstructing the flow of traffic.

We got some good cool weather so it's track time for sure. I'm going to Speedworld on Wednesday.

Cool. Let me know next time you are up this way, Waldo is maybe 15 mins from my house. I drive around 5 over everywhere including through waldo and I havent been pulled over for speeding in around 7 years. (I got pulled by FHP for my seatbelt last week though.)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

On the bottom end did you upgrade the cranks too? Or just piston and connecting rods?

What do you think the limit is for the drivetrain?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts