M3 redux - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
M3 redux

Well for those of you that don't know, I killed two M3's with the V8 with my frst Mustang GT 5.0. My first car got totaled. I bought another.

I now have 2000 miles on it.

Ran another M3 coming out of Tampa last night. I didn't do good at poker, but the 5.0 held it's own.

We went at it from about 75 to 145, twice.

First time was a dead heat. Second time I edged by about a half car length.

Considering the first GT's runs beating the M3 decisively, this one was a bit of a disapointment,

Still need to feel good when your $30,000 car beats a $60,000 car or even hangs with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Well for those of you that don't know, I killed two M3's with the V8 with my frst Mustang GT 5.0. My first car got totaled. I bought another.

Ran another M3 coming out of Tampa last night. I didn't do good at poker, but the 5.0 held it's own.

Considering the first GT's runs beating the M3 decisively, this one was a bit of a disapointment,

Still need to feel good when your $30,000 car beats a $60,000 car or even hangs with it.
That's true. Even if you would have run neck and neck with it both times, it still would have been impressive. Good runs!

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 PM

What happened to the first one? Everyone okay? Is your replacement still a base 6A?

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
What happened to the first one? Everyone okay? Is your replacement still a base 6A?
I parked in a parking lot at the store I was working at in South Carolina. A guy driving a tractor trailer full of beer had a medical emergency. He missed a bend. He went through the parking lot, hit my car and an S10 and pushed them partly into the store I was at. The tractor was on top of my car.

It was completely totaled.

I bought my cars twin. Exact same options color. The vins were only 5 numbers apart. It was in Georgia, I had to drive right past it on the way home.

It's actually worked out real good. I have just over 2000 miles on the new one, the old one had over 14,000. The insurance paid out the full purchase price of the car since it was less than 6 months old. They never checked the mileage I don't think. Anyway, it worked out good for me. I'm about $1000 ahead and have a car with 14,000 less miles than it should have.

Did you sell yours yet??

What did you buy???
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 PM

Glad it worked out for you.

I did sell it. I need to update my sig. I replaced it with my "commuter", an Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. I was a little tired of the overly big size and obviously the poor mpg for my purposes. Besides the AWD, the Audi is much easier to driver with nice features and refinement. I miss the power but the Audi is fine for my commute and around town.

My GF has a G37 Coupe Journey which we enjoy on weekends and we just got a 2011 HD Steet Glide 103 so it's going to be a fun summer despite a 200+hp deficit...

'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I did sell it. I need to update my sig. I replaced it with my "commuter", an Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. I was a little tired of the overly big size and obviously the poor mpg for my purposes. Besides the AWD, the Audi is much easier to driver with nice features and refinement. I miss the power but the Audi is fine for my commute and around town.

My GF has a G37 Coupe Journey which we enjoy on weekends and we just got a 2011 HD Steet Glide 103 so it's going to be a fun summer despite a 200+hp deficit...
Congrats on the new ride. I like the Audi better than the BMW. I'd have a hard time picking between the C Class and the Audi. Throw the CTS into the mix and I'm more of a domestic guy, I'd probably end up with that. There really isn't a bad car out of the 4 of those though.

I still have the 03 C5 Z06. Still loving that car. Best purchase I've made car wise.

The 2011 GT is tons of fun.

I also found a 2003 Grand Am SE. It only had 19,500 miles on it. I bought it a month ago. It now has 23,500. Love the car, it's like new with a new car smell, no chips, nicks, scratches or dings. It's an odd bird because it has the ECOTech and a 5 spd and it's a 4 dr. Great gas mileage, I'm getting 34-36 on the highway with the AC on and it's getting about 28 around town.

Sold my Jetski.

Working too much for any other toys.

There's my fleet update.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Congrats on the new ride. I like the Audi better than the BMW.

Great gas mileage, I'm getting 34-36 on the highway with the AC on and it's getting about 28 around town.
Thanks. The pricing on the Audis was more attractive than the BMWs of similar vintage and AWD is great.

OUTSTANDING mileage with your Grand Am. Hard to do better than that and keep your sanity.

'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
Examiner.com

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. The pricing on the Audis was more attractive than the BMWs of similar vintage and AWD is great.

OUTSTANDING mileage with your Grand Am. Hard to do better than that and keep your sanity.
Work has me driving about 40,000 miles a year give or take. I bought the Mustang as a driver for that. My territory is Richmond Virginia to Fort Myers Florida. About a 1100 mile spread.

I was just starting to feel guilty about tearing the GT up with all those miles, plus the price of gas started to creep up. So when it got totaled and the Grand Am popped up on Autotrader, I took it as a sign to get a driver.

You're right on the sanity thing. I couldn't imagine driving all those miles in a typical 40 mpg scooter car like a Fiesta, Mazda 2, Hyundai Accent, Nissan Versa or Toyota Yaris. I thought about a Cruze, but for $13,000 less than the Cruze, this car is still a bit nicer and isn't that far off on mileage.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:

You also have to realize that the two cars are almost identical Fergy. You have to admit that the M3 is a great car. As you mentioned "Still need to feel good when your $30,000 car beats a $60,000 car or even hangs with it"

K&N FIPK | Borla Stinger Cat-Back | Bassani CATTED XPIPE | Fluidyne H/E | MM C/C Plates | Eibach Pro Lowering Kit | B&M STS | Whipple 2.3L | Accufab SBTB | Metco Idler Pulley | Spec Stage 2+ | DiabloSport MAFia | Ford GT Pumps
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Why didn't u just get a GTO?

Here's an LS2 for $11.9k

2005 Pontiac GTO midnight blue

My Youtube Channel
Supercharged (Roots) 6.0 GTO
Supercharged (Twin Screw) 3.0 NSX
Supercharged (Centrifugal) 4.3 S-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in