Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of my son's got a new Camaro SS, Has some mods lt's, tune, intake etc,, Anyway he was talking about how bad he would beat my GTO, I let him talk and think what he wanted, I figured I would one day catch him at a stop light and put this matter to rest, Today was that day, I caught him at the stop light, Told him to go when he was ready, He hit it hard but not hard enough, I let him have a one and a half car head start before I nailed it, Caught him just as I went into second gear, As soon as I was one full car length ahead I got out of it, All he could do was grin and go on his way, I think I proved my point, A little later his brother came by and said some guy put a whoop'n on his brothers Camaro with a GTO, I just laughed and said tell me more about this GTO, All in good fun.:cheers

·
Registered
336 Posts
ha ha nice kill ill bet that was fun :cheers just curious what mods you actually have on your car? but any ways im not suprised i took an camaro ss for a test drive the other day although i love the car the looks of it and the big wheels and tires. but while driving it i was like wow im pretty sure my car could take this one.. kinda easy

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Excellent kill. I'm still waiting to hand one its ass around here. I've seen plenty of them. What mods have you got on your car?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just some bolt ins,,,,, ZL402 from SLP, Higher stall converter, Stock gears on the stock tires, Did the engine swap at 600 miles, I bought the car to drag race, I've ran a best 8.10 e.t. in the 1/8 mile on the stock radials and the 7.6's on the drag radials, Been on the stock radials all summer long, Not much chance getting to the track this year with all the overtime I've been working.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Currently it puts down 355 hp and 360 tq sae on a dynojet, Before it put down more, I had problems getting it down the track, Kept crossing the centerline, So I had it tuned for the tires thats on the car, Spinning is not winning in my book, I can tell you a detune helped greatly, My fenders are not cut and the suspension is bone stock, No dragbags, Eventually I hope to have it tuned back up after I get the rest of the suspension pieces in place, All the power in the world is no good if you can't hook it up, My goal was 7.50's when I started this project, So I'm not that far off from reaching it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
ya 91mph sounds pretty fast for a 1/8mile have you ever had it down a 1/4 ill bet thats gotta be easy in the 12s:cheers

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For a bolt on car 91 isn't impossible, Then again its not a bolt on car either, since when is a bored and stroked engine considered bolt on, The bolt ins is a play on words, I wanted it to look as stock as possible, Its what you don't see that is the secret, I'm running the stock 243 heads, stock intake, stock tb, What looks to be a stock transmission from the outside, What I didn't say was what is done to each of those components, When you race for money, Its not a good idea to tip your hand to the competition, Or you will never get anyone to race you for money, The cam I'm running is in the SLP catalog, So your guess is as good as mine. I'm running a very conservative tune for now, Since I don't plan on going back to the track anytime soon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No read what i said, Bolt ins I believe is what it says in my sig. And is what I said in comment #4, No where did I ever say I had a bolt on car.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Read his post again bluebeast, you're getting confused with the wording. He said 91 is not impossible for bolt-ons, but didn't say his car was bolt-ons.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bolt ins, bolt ons. Let me get my crystal ball out and and see if it can tell the difference without the OP explaining his mods in detail. And your not doing 91 in the 1/8 with just bolt-ons unless you consider a nitrous system or a blower a bolt-on. Bolt ons aren't going to turn a low 13 second car into a high 11 second car. No offense to any bolt on GTO owners.

·
Registered
336 Posts
do you consider heads and cam bolt on because heads and cam would get you there.. very easily with some sticky tires.. also he said he has a 402 stroker but its tuned down to only 350/360 to the wheels and a high stall torque converter.. so technically he isnt runnin any more hp than a bolt on car with a high stall converter.. besides this thread is about the camaro gettin smoked

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Head and cam is engine modification, not considered bolt ons. Headers, exhaust, CAI etc. don't
require opening the engine to install, so they are Bolt Ons.
I just read this thread and didn't see the 91 MPH 1/8 reference?
What was the 60 ft time for this run?? Would have to be VERY good.

Larry

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The increments for the 91 mph time slip are in my sig. 1.7461 60' 0n drag radials, right after it states just some bolt ins. This has been a well thought out package, I just need to get the suspension pieces in place, before tuning it back up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Head and cam is engine modification, not considered bolt ons. Headers, exhaust, CAI etc. don't
require opening the engine to install, so they are Bolt Ons.
I just read this thread and didn't see the 91 MPH 1/8 reference?
What was the 60 ft time for this run?? Would have to be VERY good.

Larry
I totally agree. Once you start digging into the engine your beyond "bolt ons". I'd be disapointed if a heads/cam LS2 couldn't trap at least 91 thru the 1/8. I've never even heard the term "bolt-ins" until this thread and i've been drag racing sinse 1985. And that is why I asked about the size of the cam. I dont understand why someone would be coy about cam specs and and other mods then put there best time in their sig. I mean if your an outlaw street racer for profit you'd try to hide your times also. Just sayin.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I took an SS2 by three cars with my 09 Challenger SRT8. They run real good, but that time, just not good enough. Then again i know how to drive my car.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I totally agree. Once you start digging into the engine your beyond "bolt ons". I'd be disapointed if a heads/cam LS2 couldn't trap at least 91 thru the 1/8. I've never even heard the term "bolt-ins" until this thread and i've been drag racing sinse 1985. And that is why I asked about the size of the cam. I dont understand why someone would be coy about cam specs and and other mods then put there best time in their sig. I mean if your an outlaw street racer for profit you'd try to hide your times also. Just sayin.

Since 86 here and I've never heard the term "bolt-ins" either.

Ditto on the rest of your post too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm a third generation drag racer, And been racing since 1978, The term bolt in was used because I bolted in a 402 into the car, I thought I was being clever, Sorry if I offended anyone, But I'm very protective of my mods.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts