Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a drive this morning with the T-tops off. It's absolutely perfect weather here.

A man and woman in a Mustang GT S197 Vert with the top down, the man driving, changed lanes a couple of times and then held back till we got a light next to each other.

I wasn't sure if he was going to try it or not, he was probably 50-60 and just didn't look like he was a racer.

I kinda stepped down harder than normal but not anywhere near full tilt. He nailed it. We were pretty close to equal till the 1-2 shift and then I started opening up car lengths on him. By 70 there was about 5 car lengths so I let out of it.

At the next light he said good run at which point he should have kept quiet, but he didn't. He then added that the Mustang isn't very good at low speed races but at top end he'd take me.

I said sure thing buddy.

When the light turned green I just took off normal.

The road, rt 27, has a nice empty stretch that is flat and straight for several miles. Sure enough he stalked me to the point where the road is great for a top end run and he went at it.

I just hung with him till we hit about 110 and then got into it and walked him so bad that by 140 I had at least 15 cars on him. Wonder what he thought when I downshifted at 110.

Well that just destroyed his top end theory.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. Good run.. You have been getting quite a few of them lately. No one ever wants to play around here.
Seems like they come and go. You get one then another then another then I get a dry spell for 2-4 months.

I don't go looking for a race, but if I'm challeged and the area is right I run.

·
Registered
155 Posts
And by the way the WS6 is out of commision for a while. The stall converter has started it's bull **** again of not wanting to lock up in 3rd and 4th. I am taking it in tomorrow to find out what the deal is. I am going to the track Wed night with the GTO to try and get into the 12s officially. I haven't run it since the mods. I am looking for a 12.7-12.8 without D/R's

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice kill and even better write up! It would have taken me 3 paragraphs to explain that kill properly. lol

Best spots in the nation to get races is around Navy bases. Squids like me and there officers all think they are Top Gun material and will race anything! I kid you not, dead serious, I got off shift at 10:30pm and I would drive around the nearby towns until midnite or I got into a race. I almost never got home at midnite - maybe twice a month max. Something about a late 70's Z28 with a loping cam and primered front fender that just begged people to race me... Honestly can't believe I never got a racing ticket. Minor Miracle! Even had the bail money stashed in the savings account lol. Miss them single man days!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts