Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im studying for an exam and looking for some way to distract myself so I pose this question to you- What is your most embarrassing loss and why?

I lost to a 350Z, embarrassing because it was my buddy pioleting the Z and I missed third and caught hell for it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, another embarassing "loss" was to a lincoln LS...hes a frind of mine and we were at a light, we decided to race, when i got a phone call. fumbling with my phone caused me to not realize the light turned green until the traffic behind me was beeping...needless to say it wasnt much of a race

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
When I first bought my 86 Mustang GT in 1987 my friend with a Cavalier Z24 beat me twice to about 70 mph. I learned to drive real quick.

I had my first C5 Z06 at the strip and a lady in a rusty old Chevy van that had what sounded like cut-outs, so it sounded like crap, beat me. It was my first time at the strip. She cut a .007 light and had a 1.75 or so 60' and went on to run a 13.1 at 103-104 or so. I knew she got me at the light so I tried to make up time. I ended up spinning real bad and blowing through first and hit the rev limiter. I hit second and spun like crazy again so I backed out and bogged it. Then I hit the rev limiter again, missed my 2-3 shift and had find third. I hit the rev limiter in 3rd thinking I could trap out in 3rd and shifted to 4th about 200' before the line. I think I ran a 14.4 at 101. It was just over a 100. I remember thinking, this was 2004, that I could do everything wrong and still beat a stock Mustang GT.

I got a rematch later in the day and beat her by a half second. At which point you go ok I beat up on a lady in a $2000 Chevy van with my Corvette, yeah baby I'm a man. :rofl:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Honda Civic with a Garret T-3 turbo. Barely beat me. I was bone stock at the time. I'd rip him a new a-hole now...
Its funny you mention this. I had a Honda Civic pull up on me the other day. My head turned and I noticed him, noticing me, only because his car was spray painted white and he had two orange stripes on his fender, similar to a corvette. When the light turned green I accelerated faster than normal because I usually like to show the GTO off a little, when someone is checking me out. :cool I noticed he accelerated with me, then he had a car on me and I was in WTF stage of Adrenalin. By the time I got my foot in it and we cleared the intersection I was a good two-two and half cars behind him and in full panic mode (large 6 lane intersection). By now the GTO had screamed though first and caught second and I was starting to catch spay painted white&orange stripe civic man. I was so focused on catching him and staying in it until I did that before I knew it we were doing 110 in a 45 coming over the top of a hill, I was terrified.. All I could see was a car turning across the lanes or red and blue police lights coming the other direction. :eek:

I’ve only had the gto for about three weeks .. But no more street racing for me. I do plan on going to the 1/4 track around here soon. :D

oo btw .. at 110 I did catch him! so I dont know that it was really a loss.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha you have to respect subies, my buddy had a wrx pushing 650+ to all 4 wheels, coupled with near full carbon fiber= a rediculously fast car. granted he had many of thousands of dollars into it but still...
sorry to hear about the civics...i would hate getting pulled on by a fwd car, even if it was boosted
Also, the van is very funny.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I lived in Hawaii, there was a time that some folks were into VW bugs (old ones).
I did come up against a few of them with my modified '74 GTO but they would always loose.
I did race one bug that almost took me.
He had me by nearly a two car lengths but I managed to get by him on the big end.
He was at my rear quarter panel when we crossed the line so I didn't get him by much.
I never got the chance to race him again though.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
I had an older nice sounding VW beetle with a twin carb kit and headers and pulled up along side a mid `70s Monty Carlo jacked up in the back with big tires. I'd coast up to him in 3rd then rev it up down shift to 2nd and take off. Well it wouldn't take him anything to quickly blow me away and then he'd slow down, I'd come back up along side in 3rd, rev and take off in second, he'd oblige and take me again. This happened like 4 or 5 times and the last time he goes by me his tranny explodes into a huge white cloud of smoke! He immediately pulls off into a parking lot as I waved out the window on my way by.:seeya: It was my loss and his embarrassment!:willy:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I had a hopped up 5.0 Mustang at the strip, pulled up to the line against a VW bug on slicks. We took off, he ran an 8.2 to my 8.8 1/8th, that bug was damn fast. Everytime I pulled up to the line the announcer would say that's the Mustang that got beat by the bug.

I was on another Forum and we had a racing top 20. I was up to 3rd and kept getting called out and beat by stupid turbo'd Civics, got beat 3 times out, best 2 outa 3, once in my Vette, twice in my 90 454 SS. Then I quit racing, lol...

·
Registered
351 Posts
lol I went to the track for the first time I had put a bigger cam shaft in, it was around a 590 lift or something. So the power band was set in a little different didnt have good power till about 2200 rpm. there was a mustang that lined up next to me. As we got closer to setting the lights off I was nervous cause it was my first time racing As I pulled up to the starting line I tried to hold the clutch in with one foot. the other on the brake and gas to get it up to about 1500 rpms. There were people on both sides of us, I could barelly here myself cause the stang was so loud. As the light was about turn green I go to hammer it and all I could see was the stang leaving and all my guages fo to ZERO I soon realized what happend. As i turn the key back over to start the car I was completly embarassed as I knew they were all watching. So i did what I had to do and burn rubber the whole way down for a little show.:rofl:

·
Registered
215 Posts
hmmm the most prominant one that comes to mind was an 05' or 06' mustang GT convertable. i saw the guy a light ahead of me and thought "ehhh, shouldnt have a problem with this one...." so i sped up to him and threw a quick rev, let me just say this thing look bone stock from the appearance so i thought i had him, but as soon as he hammered it.......i heard a loud shreik, SOB was supercharged!!........first thing to my mind, "wow, i feel like a dumbass." whats worse is that the guy was just minding his own business then some rascal(me) came up to him only to get my ass handed to me lolol

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I first bought my 67 LeMans I got beat pretty bad by a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Needless to say some changes were made shortly there after. Those 2.56 rear end gears are not conducive to quick acceleration. That was a sad day though...I blame the guy I bought it from.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I see people saying their GTOs arent very good from a roll. Dunno if my driving style is different or I just dont see it but my GTO is pretty wicked from a roll...

my most embarrassing moment so far was right when i got my GTO and went to turn right and like a dumbass ran my sideskirt up a curb. smashed it up pretty good and broke my side exhaust tip off.

no real embarrassing races though... =/

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I remember losing to a 1st gen Talon TSi in my 64 Grand Prix. He didn't punch it till halfway through the intersection, and I had already grannied into 3rd. The synchros on that car were all messed up, so you couldn't downshift into 2nd or 1st until you slowed down enough to where they would be at idle in that gear.

Long story short, I got schooled because I was driving junk, more or less, and it wasn't a dig.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Back in the day I was in my '81 Buick Skylark (2.8 135hp? V-6) and lined up against a modded mid-70s TA. He faked me out at the red light, making me jump. Then he killed me at part throttle, toying with me.

May the worst one was when I had a '91 SHO. I'd beaten enough cars to think it was quick. I lined up against a 1st gen. Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo with a broken spoiler. I made a smart remark (my last one too) about his spoiler knowing mine was quicker, most likely.

Once across the intersection with my gf, he came from behind and walked me, hard. It was a 12 second car. That was embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
You'd get used to it after a while:D
Back in the day I was in my '81 Buick Skylark (2.8 135hp? V-6) and lined up against a modded mid-70s TA. He faked me out at the red light, making me jump. Then he killed me at part throttle, toying with me.

May the worst one was when I had a '91 SHO. I'd beaten enough cars to think it was quick. I lined up against a 1st gen. Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo with a broken spoiler. I made a smart remark (my last one too) about his spoiler knowing mine was quicker, most likely.

Once across the intersection with my gf, he came from behind and walked me, hard. It was a 12 second car. That was embarrassing.
bluebeast and Deuuce is still alive.
:cool

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I lost to my girls 05 once. We were on the highway. She pulled up next to me, I told her to honk it off, she just took off. So I went WOT. I didn't catch up to her until 120ish. I gave her the win and I still haven't let it down. Out of being nice I don't argue that she cheated and jumped the gun.

On a more serious note, I got smoke by an old rusted Rabbit once. Once he past me I could hear he did a motorcycle motor swap in that little car.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I got a stop light with an guy I know from my hometown. He drives a STI and had about 4 of his buddies behind us in their ricers. The light turned green and wouldn't you know the infamous traction control button screwed me over. They all pointed and laughed. That race was over before it started. Now I push that F#^&ing button as soon as I get in the car every day! Has anyone found a way to disable theirs or just find a way so you have to switch it on when you start your vehicle instead of off?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts