User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Ram Air Pan or Not ???

I am curious if folks have found the Ram Air pan beneficial or not ??? I put a Ram Air pan on and suspect the car is being starved for air. I am curious if others have logged air flow or have data to indicate if the "restricted cold air" is better than plenty of warm air.

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:30 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I ran one on my '66 with tripower for years, and then on my '67 with tripower for a few years. No air restrictions whatsoever. But the '66 and '67 have the pan going right to the air scoop, so lots of cold fresh air is a given. Not sure about later cars, if that's what you have. But willing to bet that any ram air set up is an improvement over under-hood air.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:10 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
I am curious if folks have found the Ram Air pan beneficial or not ??? I put a Ram Air pan on and suspect the car is being starved for air. I am curious if others have logged air flow or have data to indicate if the "restricted cold air" is better than plenty of warm air.
It'll starve for air if you didn't open up the scoops seeing it seals to the hood.

The ram air itself is a bit misleading. It doesn't ram a bunch of air in as you might think. The benefit is actually cooler outside air being drawn in by the carbs. Milt Schornak found that the cooler air allowed for richer jets and that is where the additional power comes from - cooler air + more gas.

If you want the ram air effect, you want to screw one of these scoops on your hood with the open side facing forwards - ya, that should do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scoop.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	118253  

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Gents! The pan on my 65 has the foam and is snug on the underside of the hood. The inserts have been completely opened up.

This weekend I will log AFRs with and without the pan. My guess is the inserts, even though opened, are not allowing enough air in and the car will run richer.

I also know this is a low pressure part of the hood, so there is actually no real ram air affect. I had thought about running 2 intakes from the front grill up to the pan, but could not get over the fact it would look ugly.

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have wondered about the possibility of air restriction as well. I have run the ram air pan with a 4bl on a 67 with a 400. I don't think it was limiting airflow, but, as others have said, it did give more cool air access than under hood air. I'm assembling a 65 now, so same hood scoop, but will be running a much larger engine. I'm considering running some cool air hoses/tubes from the headlight openings to the ram air pan. It looked good on the Royal Bobcats when they did that. I don't know if they plumbed them into a ram air pan or not, but up in the front of the car at the headlight opening, I suspect that could provide some actual "ram air" as well as more cool air access.
cij911 likes this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfind View Post
I have wondered about the possibility of air restriction as well. I have run the ram air pan with a 4bl on a 67 with a 400. I don't think it was limiting airflow, but, as others have said, it did give more cool air access than under hood air. I'm assembling a 65 now, so same hood scoop, but will be running a much larger engine. I'm considering running some cool air hoses/tubes from the headlight openings to the ram air pan. It looked good on the Royal Bobcats when they did that. I don't know if they plumbed them into a ram air pan or not, but up in the front of the car at the headlight opening, I suspect that could provide some actual "ram air" as well as more cool air access.
That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. This solution (gathering air from the front of the car at each side of the radiator) would add high pressure, cold air and if routed to the pan would be ideal.

Do you have any pictures of the Royal Bobcat setups?

Thanks

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:42 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. This solution (gathering air from the front of the car at each side of the radiator) would add high pressure, cold air and if routed to the pan would be ideal.

Do you have any pictures of the Royal Bobcat setups?

Thanks
Oldsmobile used to offer a system that gathered the air from under the bumper. The 1966 W30 option with tripower used the first set-up pictured below. Only 54 produced. 1967 had its own system which used the Q-jet and then the 1968-69 version which is pictured. Here is a website that has all the parts - dual snorkel air cleaner, connecting tubes, under bumper scoops. 1968-69 Outside Air Induction ( Ram Air) Parts-Fusick Automotive Products, Inc.

Here is an aftermarket set-up like what you are looking to do. It is available from Summit, but is for the 4-Bbl carb. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-733/applications
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 Olds Tripower Ram Air.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	118329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Olds Ram Air.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	118331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram Air Set-up.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	118333  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If I do have those old photos, I don't currently know where they are. They are probably in some of my father's old Hot Rod magazines. I know I've seen such pictures several years ago. This link has some interesting diagrams but none of the photos I remember. Pontiac's Ram Air Rarities - Page 1

In another thread on this site, I found this place to be interesting. It looks like they may be able to fabricate something with an underhood ram air pan by adding one of their systems to it? About Ram Air Box

I have not contacted them so don't know much about them. The prices list looks pretty reasonable.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Jim, thanks a ton but these don’t appear to be designed for a tri power setup. I wish they were as it would be cleaner.

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Michael, thanks for your information. I’ve reached out to Airbox and will see if they respond.

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in