67 Fathom Blue - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
67 Fathom Blue

Hey guys, I am trying to paint a 67 with it's original Fathom blue paint, but the paint store can not come up with a formula, even after calling PPG library or something....does anyone have a formula for this in base/clear coat? Any help would be great......thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Are there any parts of the car with original paint that could possible be checked with a color match camera.
Most good shops and/or paint suppliers use these now. I'm surprised that they couldn't come up with a formula.
You need to find an older shop that might have access/archive charts info.

Nice Deep Blue color for sure.
Best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 EXTERIOR COLOR CHART 1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	88337   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 EXTERIOR COLOR CHART 2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	88345  

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:56 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
Hey guys, I am trying to paint a 67 with it's original Fathom blue paint, but the paint store can not come up with a formula, even after calling PPG library or something....does anyone have a formula for this in base/clear coat? Any help would be great......thank you in advance

Got the answer. My 1971 Acme Paint book has a note next to this color. "It is one of the special colors which is not in regular production. Some colors are used on other General Motors cars and carry the same code on the car. Those with no code are identified only by color name." So you have a special order color.

1967 Fathom Blue Metallic is shown as being paint code "E". Matching this up with the paint color mixing formula, Paint code "E" is a 1967 Chevrolet color called Deepwater Blue Metallic.

Do not get this confused with the 1968 color by the same paint code "E" and name BECAUSE it has a different formula. Ironically, the Chevrolet blue for the "E" paint code is now called Fathom Blue Metallic and the 1968 Pontiac color having the same formula is called Aegena Blue Metallic! To match your color, it must be the 1967 color/formula.

So check the Chevrolet color/mix at your local auto paint store and you should be good to go.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 05:31 AM

Garage
?? If it's in/on all the charts with an code this would be a production color.
The charts/pages above are 1967 not after and list Code E in the production color line up.

Even the pre production dealer Interior/Exterior color folder has this listed.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJUNIOR View Post
?? If it's in/on all the charts with an code this would be a production color.
The charts/pages above are 1967 not after and list Code E in the production color line up.

Even the pre production dealer Interior/Exterior color folder has this listed.

Not a clue. Can only reprint what my paint mixing book states and IF it was a regular production "Pontiac" color, then why couldn't PPG find the color? Obviously the color was/is available as a Pontiac color offering - I get it. I'm no paint color expert. The '67 GTO convert I owned was factory painted Iris Mist which was not a regular production color. Where is that on the color chart? It was a special order color. Perhaps Fathom Blue had to go through some corporate channels at GM or had to be scheduled on the production line as a special color even as a production color - I could not even hazard a guess.

Simply put, the OP could not find his color mix under the Pontiac colors. I have a paint mixing book which has the color listed as a Pontiac color under paint code "E". The color in my book had an asterisk next to it with the said note I enclosed. The paint book offers a color code giving the mixology of the Fathom Blue Metalllic and it is under the heading a 1967 Chevrolet blue. Looking back in the book in the Chevrolet section, sure enough, THEIR color code was also paint code "E" but with a different name for the SAME blue having the exact mixology of paint as the Pontiac blue.

Now the paint book could be a fabrication and its all a conspiracy or the book might just be flat out wrong, BUT Then Again, maybe I just helped the OP find his color which may be available with a mixing formula under the 1967 Chevy color. What the heck do I know?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:55 AM

Garage
Sorry wasn't trying to piss on your shoes just understand the contradiction with the charts/codes.

I again would suggest finding a true old school paint supplier to assist with this task.
Cheers.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJUNIOR View Post
Sorry wasn't trying to piss on your shoes just understand the contradiction with the charts/codes.

I again would suggest finding a true old school paint supplier to assist with this task.
Cheers.
No problem, we're good.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:48 AM

Garage
No worries.

DB,
Here are some old codes that may help;

1967...Fathom Blue=body paint code E
DU PONT..4817-L

DITZLER..13346

RINSHED-MASON..A-1900

Color Chip Selection

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in