User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Bad paint

This just exploded on my car the last day or so. The paint is all blistering, getting a rough texture like leather or something. It`s happening all over the car. I called the guy that painted it and he`s claiming some sort of chemical reaction (no sh!t ) and it`ll have to be stripped down to bare metal once again. The top will have to come off too since he painted under there also. So I told him I would remove all the chrome, bumpers, door handles, emblems, etc, but I didn`t wanna pay for another paint job! I`m already going to have to buy another vinyl top. If he used the wrong products that is his problem. I paid for a professional paint job, and this don`t cut it. I`m pissed! Am I over reacting? Should I be more understanding?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Rukee, That is some strange looking stuff !! A friend of mine who paints said it looks like the wrong primer or reducer was used. OR the surface was contaminated before the paint was sprayed.......HOW LONG AGO was the car painted ?? Eric

post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
To me, and I don't paint, it looks like in the old days when you sprayed Enamel over Laquer ( or the other way around ) this would occur.....rather quickly within a week ???? LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS !

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your not over reacting, you paid for a professional paint job, thats bs, he should do it free of charge this time
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 02:07 PM

Looks like orange peal to me. Had the same thing on my 85 GT. I would not go back to your painter...

Orange peel is a certain kind of texture that may develop on painted surfaces. The texture resembles the bumpy surface of the skin of an orange (fruit) hence the name.

Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of an orange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.

In some situations, such as interior house paint, the orange peel texture is generally desirable. In this case, a texture paint is generally applied with a spray gun. The texture is then painted over with the appropriate color. When painting walls, orange peel can also develop by using a roller with too little paint or too thick a paint and the surface dries before the texture can level.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
Rukee, That is some strange looking stuff !! A friend of mine who paints said it looks like the wrong primer or reducer was used. OR the surface was contaminated before the paint was sprayed.......HOW LONG AGO was the car painted ?? Eric
It was painted like the end of Nov, first part of December. The paint did not look like that when it was picked up. Just in the last day it kinda exploded all over. Only thing I can think of is I have it out in the warm sunlight, possibly that is causing the reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDQ GTO View Post
Looks like orange peal to me. Had the same thing on my 85 GT. I would not go back to your painter...

Orange peel is a certain kind of texture that may develop on painted surfaces. The texture resembles the bumpy surface of the skin of an orange (fruit) hence the name.

Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of an orange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.
I know what orange peel looks like and that texture would have been that way from the start. When I fist painted the car I had an orange peel problem, and wet sanding and buffing did make it all smooth, but too thin too. That`s why I hired this guy to repaint it right.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 03:17 PM

bad painter.....

OMG! I'd be real *&^%$! I would suggest getting a refund and NOT ever going to that painter again. You shouldn't have to do anything! He should pay for the top also. I'd be taking him to small claims court or something. I don't know how much this cost you, but don't forget your time in the calculation. This is not orange peel. It looks like what everyone stated before, some kind of chemical reaction. This painter should've known this. I can only guess the time involved in getting this paint job done, and taking off all the chrome and everything is not a walk in the park. Take it somewhere else and bill this painter for it.
Linda
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 05:27 PM

Wow! That sucks.

You've already answered one key question. The paint job is 3.5 months old. One thing you didn't mention was the price you paid. Another as who did the job.

If you paid for an Earl Scheib job, well, I guess you got what you paid for.

If you went to some backyard bubba who paints out of his home garage, again, you got what you paid for.

But, if you paid several thousand dollars for a professional to do the job in a well equipped facility, I'd be smokin pi$$ed! In this case, I would expect the paint shop to cover the complete tear down, strip, prime, paint, new roof, reassembly.

Their lack of skill and knowledge or use of poor quality materials is not your problem. Of course, it could be that the guy is inncocent and the material he used was defective unbeknownst to him.

Either way, you don't need or deserve these headaches. Good luck.
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

It was a body shop here in town, and like I said, I had just painted it before I took it to him. So there was minimal prep work to do, all the major body work had already been done. I gave him the products that I had used. I had used a single stage paint and he used a base coat clear coat. He said all he was going to have to do was mask, wet sand and paint. Car had no interior, windows or any chrome on it. He charged me $1,500.00 which I thought was fair. But if I ask for a refund and take it to another shop now they`re sure as heck going to charge more then that to fix it. I don`t mind having to do all the work again with the chrome and bumpers and windows, or buying another top, wish I didn`t have to, sh!t happens~life sux, I just want him to fix the paint.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
WOW Rukee, that sucks!

Did he spray the base coat over the single stage that you sprayed on? I believe I remember you saying the original paint came from NAPA which is actually Sherwin Williams. What brand was the Base Coat and clear coat?

I'll have my painter look at these pictures and get his input, he's been painting for 40 years.

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in