User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Best Paint Products

This was brought up over in the technical questions board, but I was wondering. What paints have you gotten the best results out of?

And this does not HAVE to be limited to rattle can. But I do want some input on rattle can as well because sometimes it's just pointless to hook up the compressor rig for a few little parts that don't HAVE to be PERFECT, but that you do want protected and rust proofed... and colorful.

So in my experience Dupont for the spray rig is what I have had the best results with. And as far as rattle can Duplicolor makes several good paints, I have also had pretty good luck with the cheap stuff at home depot, can't remember the "brand name" but their off brand.

Plasticote is good too but not for moving pieces or anything that has to be "bullet proof".

Ok, so chime in...lets hear what ya got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
just don't waste your money on Crustoleum! no offense to CRUSTYSACK ! Eric

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 PM

None taken- you and i both know that stuff is junk. my boss redid his WWII era jeep recently and I tried to tell him about POR-15 but he didnt want to hear it. He had the guys at the shop strip and paint the thing 3 times with garboleum. I estimated he had spend about $25,000 in labor and you can wipe the paint off with denatured alcohol. Dupont makes some of the finest automotive paints around, but being in the marine industry Awlgrip products are phenomenal. Once you learn how to spray it there is no paint that will out last it. Rattle can I try to avoid- I would brush on POR-15 before i would use any rattle can product for my car, they just dont hold up.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crustysack View Post
I would brush on POR-15 before i would use any rattle can product for my car, they just dont hold up.
That's because POR 15 is like brushing on a rock, indestrucable, but $50 a quart, great stuff, but needs to be top coated if exposed to light, it's not paint, it's the best sealer out there. It encapsulates the rust so it can't get air stopping the rusting process. If you don't do the backside of the part it will still rust. I should sell POR 15, love the stuff.
I use Rustoleum all the time, and don't have any problem. If you have any grease or lifting agent, grease or wax, then the paint is going to bubble and lift. If it is clean, I have had great results. A base coat clear coat paint is always going to be better than a rattle can.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:01 AM

Garage
Man, I forgot all about Awk grip! Excellent product! I think the factory has been leaving something important out of Crapstoleum lately. With all due respect Jet, I've been painting with it for years, and LATELY it sux! E

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 12:37 PM

I have used Dupont, PPG, and Sherwin Williams auto paint for years. My brother likes the Sherwin Williams, he does get a 30% discount with them. I have had the best luck with Dupont but the others have also been good. I had some orange peel that I didn't like once with the Sherwin Williams, but I think we got it to hot on the baking.

Rattle can, I feel that duplicolor lays the best. Plastiakote is hit or miss and seems to go on to thick. I used rustoleum 10 years ago just not on a car and it always seemed fine on what I painted. I tried both of rustoleums rattle can engine and auto paint. It didn't like the 2nd coat on the auto and nothing worked on the engine. Once it dries it feels like a candle almost greasy. I have used rattle can Krylon on metal for the most part, but not on engine. I have always had good luck with it. If any one has used there engine paint I would like to hear how it turned out, it's durability, and how long it has lasted, plus if it burns off easy.

I tried some rattle can paint from tractor supply for farm implements hoping it would be a bit tougher. It turned out nice ,but just like all rattle can paint, it is to thin and isn't as durable as using a spray gun. Just to much thinner in the rattle can paint.

POR-15 has come out very well for me. The paint is 9 years old on my frame and looks as good as new, still. I spray gunned it with POR-15 reducer

I use Rubberize-it on coil springs. I Spray it with mineral spirits. It comes out like silly string but puts a nice coat on the spring and is very flexible. That is 9 years old and still looks good also.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by likethat View Post
Rattle can, I feel that duplicolor lays the best. Plastiakote is hit or miss and seems to go on to thick. I used rustoleum 10 years ago just not on a car and it always seemed fine on what I painted. I tried both of rustoleums rattle can engine and auto paint. It didn't like the 2nd coat on the auto and nothing worked on the engine. Once it dries it feels like a candle almost greasy. I have used rattle can Krylon on metal for the most part, but not on engine. I have always had good luck with it. If any one has used there engine paint I would like to hear how it turned out, it's durability, and how long it has lasted, plus if it burns off easy.
Back when my dad had his 66 he bought a can of Krylon blue for the engine... We had that can for years and years and years, i just recently threw it away. The thing looked like it was from the 80's. They probably have had to change the recipe since then, but man, that stuff was like the elixir of the gods. The fact that we were able to keep it so long testifies.

KICK THE TIRES & LIGHT THE FIRES
Dreamin of Montero Red & Parchment White '66;
2004 LS1/T-56; LMII, Skipshift del, GMM Ripshift, K&N CAI, TC AutoOff, AVIC-7000NEX
1992 Dodge Dakota LE; 5.2L Magnum
2006 Kawasaki EX250
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 PM

I like the Spies Heckler from DuPont. That was the paint used for my 64 post coupe GTO restoration.

https://www.gtoforum.com/f83/1964-gto...art-1-a-30412/

Dave Harris

1958 Buick Special 2 Door Riviera
1964 Pontiac GTO Post Coupe
2012 Shelby GT500 convertible
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 PM

Garage
[quote=daveh70;276989]I like the Spies Heckler from DuPont. That was the paint used for my 64 post coupe GTO restoration.
German paint has always been the best. That's why many of the clears are advertised as "Euro clear"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
With all due respect Jet, I've been painting with it for years, and LATELY it sux! E
Eric, Rick Dobertin commented on driving his car anywhere was, "would you hang the mona lisa in the out house". Samething with your car. Rustoleum is OK for stuff, but your car is way beyond that..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in