My new 66 GTO SPEC paint code - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My new 66 GTO SPEC paint code

I rescued this 66 GTO and have brought her home where she will be loved and cared for. I recently found on CL this beautiful car with no mention of her rare paint code except the last of a dozen or so pics of the cowl tag. She has been sitting for the last year under the PO's care without being touched. The owner before that supposedly restored her 18 years ago, but I doubt it. there seems to have been more judging by how old the interior now looks. She has an ok paint job that's got bumps and bruises. She has a really clean engine/compartment. Unfortunately someone thought air shocks would be a good idea (already ordered new springs and shocks). The engine sounds really healthy but has no power. The ground terminal on the batt is severly coroded and the positive isn't much better. In the next day or 2 I'll replace all fluids, belts, plugs, distributor and so on while verifying all my timing marks. Just thought I'd share some pics of the car I posted my question about the cowl tag.

Last edited by topfuel67; 05-20-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The paint could have been Fathom Turquoise, which was a special paint in 1966.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Its pinehurst green now. I'm going to order the phs and hope they can say which color it was.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:20 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
My Acme Paint Finishes list 2 special colors for 1966 that may apply- Pinehurst Green Metallic which has a paint code of "J". Fathom Turquoise Metallic is listed having no paint code. My paint book notes that these "Special Colors" are being used on the 1966 Grand Prix, and the colors are not in regular production. If it did not use a paint code to identify the color, the color was simply called/ordered by its name.

Seeing that you have no code, best guess would be Fathom Turquoise Metallic. Hopefully the PHS documents may confirm this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

I got the PHS on her and there is no way for even PHS to confirm the color. However, she is a 4 spd, tri power, rally gauge console car with reclining seats/headrests! She currently has a 3 spd, 4 bbl and idiot lights with standard buckets. I wasn't planning on putting anything into her for a while. I just wanted to have a nice daily driver that I wouldn't be too worried about parking somewhere.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 09:54 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
Very cool. Looks like you really got a deal on your car. I would be pretty excited over that news. It would almost seem that someone robbed the car of its parts to be sold off or used on another project -which was done a lot because sometimes as the car got a bit "rough", or if the engine was blown, it was not worth fixing as there was no big value in them as there is today. You could make more money parting the car out at times -especially if you had multiple projects going on.

I guess you can choose whatever color you wanted if you so decided, but I would be looking for the original color somewhere on the car to confirm it, and paint it that color.

Enjoy the car as is, and gather your parts over time, if you choose to. At least you know it does have some great options and if you ever had to sell, this would appreciate the value even if you never did anymore than just drive it as is -money in the bank.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
From what I think I know, Code 1 paint is Standard GM paint that is not a Pontiac Color. Code 2 paint is Special Pontiac Color Paint.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 07:29 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Ponitac Jim is, once again, spot on. The fact that your car was born with tripower and all the goodies makes it worth much more than a garden variety GTO. Any money spent on this car will be money well spent. You have a winner on your hands.....congrats!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

I confirmed with PHS the code 1 only means special paint. There's no way to tell which of the colors.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:50 AM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Are there any traces of the original color in the jams or under the door panels? Unless the car was given a frame off you would think there would be trace evidence of the original color somewhere where you could match it up. Neat car OP and a nice find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in