Opinion on what color to paint 64 GTO wheels? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Opinion on what color to paint 64 GTO wheels?

Thought I'd get suggestions on this. I decided to get my '64 painted back to it's original color (silvermist grey) code D. My PHS docs says paint code DDA (the A stands for black painted wheels) and my car originally had the deluxe wheel covers according to the option sheet. That would make sense for the wheels being black. When dog dish caps were ordered, as you probably know, the steel wheels were painted the body color. My data plate at the firewall says paint DD (without the A). It came out of the Pontiac plant. I know there are many unsolved mysteries surrounding the codes used by the various plants in those years. Anyway, I'm wondering if I should have my original steel wheels painted black as indicated by the PHS, or should I have them body color code D as shown on the firewall data plate? I'm leaning towards going with the code D because I have new dog dish hubcaps and the full deluxe wheel covers are hard to find. Would you do black or body color?

Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 PM

If that's kind of like a smoked color, don't you think that would look great on the wheels - better than black?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dave

Had to think about it for a minute but I believe I'd go with black. Two reasons, one because you're restoring the car to original color(s) and second I think it would be a nice break in color and the caps would look good against the black background.

Rick

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:14 AM

I'd go black for the reasons above but would look at possibly a satin black to make things pop; look into powdercoating vs. rattle can for durability.

Thanks,
Nedorama
67 Lemans Convertible
http://web.me.com/nedorama/Nedorama/...67_Lemans.html
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:53 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Dave, from my research, in 1964, if you had a car in the following colors, you could get wheels painted to match: Regent Black, Yorktown Blue, Pinehurst Green, Singapore gold, Gulfstream Aqua, and Saddle Bronze. Your Silvermist Grey car cam with black wheels, as body coler on the wheels was not an option with your paint code. That said, my preference would be to paint the wheels Slivermist Grey. Up to you, though. Correctness vs. preference.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you. And geeteeohguy, that makes my choice easier. I think I will go for the black wheels. I am trying for correctness. That would explain the DDA on my PHS. A is for the black wheels. D for the body silvermist grey color. Also my car originally had the Deluxe wheels covers according to PHS. I just bought 4 of them from hubcaps.com at $75 each w/free shipping. These are restored ones, and I heard from a club member here in Illinois that he was amazed at how great these covers were. It's been recommended that I have them powercoated (the steel wheels) for black. Would you agree with powercoating for the wheels?

Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 06:40 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Dave, I'm not a powdercoat guy, but it's a tough durable finish. May be the way to go on wheels, which are subject to the abuse of wheel weights and lug nuts, etc. I don't know if powdercoat is slick to the point of the bead slipping on the rim....I think with tubeless tires, this wouldn't be an issue. Me, I'd just shoot 'em with paint, as per original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in