User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
PAINT preferance

Well soon I will be taking my '67 GTO conv. to the body shop to get done. I have already decided to change the original color for Montreo Blue(YUK!! ) to Phathom Blue. I will also be changing the top from black to white and the interior from black to parchment.

Anyway....I was looking for opinions on what type of paint job is best, base coat / clear coat or single stage. I heard single stage is better because if you get any damage you can touch it up and with base coat / clear coat you would need to re-shoot the entire panel to get the paint to match. I don't know if there is a difference in the look or how easy or difficult it is to take care of.

I would REALLY like to hear some opinions on both kind of paint jobs so I can make the right choice. Please...LET ME HEAR IT !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah this may help you a little bit, I work in a body shop at a GM dealership and the only thing we spray is base coat/ clear coat on all the vehicles we fix dupont paint. The basically exact same stuff that they come on from the factory as good as it gets kinda deal. I would highly recommend base clear over single stage any day, for the reasons that single stage is what is says one stage means your shine is your paint color vs. base clear, clear is that protective coating unlike single stage. what im meaning is clear you cut and buff it to get a glass like finish, single stage all depends on how well it is laid down and not have orange peel or dry spots because if you get ether one they look crapy, because if you have metalice in single stage you really cant buff it because you are sanding the metalices and what that does is distort the metalices in the paint so then you will have like streaks in the paint or it will be splotchy. you are correct about it is easier to touch up but also single stage wont hold up to the elements of the weather as base/ clear will. base / clear is just a more durable finish over single stage. To sum it up if i were you and had that car I would base it then put two to three coats of clear on it and the cut and buff it and you will have glass like finish. and single stage is just like a thing of the past more so a cheap way of painting a vehicle. so I hope that help any.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My 66 was painted with 3 coats of single stage candlelight creme and 3 coats of clear, wet sanded with 3,000 grit and buffed.

Randy

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
single stage is garbage- bc/cc only way to go now- especially if your investing that much time and $$,(changing the color, new interior etc) dont skimp on the paint
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinions...

05GTO since your car was done single stage what do you think of it??? Is it shinny? is it hard to maintain? do you think you should have went with a clear coat / base coat instead? it's hard to tell from a pic how nice the paint is.
thanks
bytor84
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
But 05GTO put 3 CC on as well.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Both my GTO's have single stage paint......the '65 was done in acrylic enamel in 1985, and the '67 was done in 1993 with the same stuff, way before the new water based junk. They still look good. Everybody paints two stage now, that's just the technology. What I don't like about it here in CA, is that clearcoat peels like sunburn on EVERY clearcoat car within 10 years.....it can't take the sun. So, be prepared to repaint every few years if you live in a sunny state. Another thing, the Barrett-Jackson Glazed Ham Look of the over-restored, wet-look cars is not even close to what these cars are supposed to look like. I remember when they were new, and the single-stage looks more correct. (True, when new, they dulled and needed repainting when they were about 5 years old!!) I would go with what the painter is comfortable with and wants to use. You'll get a better finished product. Good luck.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

WOW !! interesting how there are many opinions on the matter and that everyone seems to be so convinced there paint job is better.....I would really like to hear more opinions if enyone out there could give me some more info on the matter.

thanks - BYTOR84
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:55 AM

Garage
I have been TOLD....Base/clear on metallic colors. Single on solid colors (black,red,white,yellow,).....

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Garage
On the subject of Montreaux Blue....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue675.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	583.8 KB
ID:	5491  
Johnny059qn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in