Exhaust Cutout Review - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Exhaust Cutout Review

I'm thinking about installing a set of exhaust cutouts on my 67 GTO.
I have zero experience with cutouts and would like to get some opinions on the best type and manufacturer brand name to purchase. I think I would like to go with cable operated valves as opposed to electric because of cost plus I have heard about electric ones failing due to heat. One thing I do know is that I want some that do not leak when closed and they should be fairly easy to operate. Any and all opinions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Any opinions on QTP or Doug's electric cutouts?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Anybody out there have any?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You could get some Humbler style mufflers.
Driver Controlled Exhaust - Waldron's Automotive Exhaust
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an 04 gto and i just dont know what size to get for it or what will fit on there either the 2.5 or the 3.0 inch???? how do I know and which do i choose????
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I've got a set of Pypes cutouts on my '69. With my experience, knowing what I've learned since, if I had it to do over again I'd go with either Doug's or QTP. Be wary of any design that employs an electric motor mounted on a more or less square gearbox mounted off to the side. Here's a link to a "typical" image of one of these:

12V 1rpm Low Speed DC Geared Motor - China Dc Geared Motor, Low Rpm Gear Motor

These motors are sold 'off the shelf' by many suppliers and usually the gears inside that box are made out of plastic or some other non-metallic material and as such can be very susceptible to heat. I had one of mine fail when the gears inside were reduced to a puddle. It was replaced under warranty (after some difficulty), but recently I've had another problem that has twice (so far) required me to disassemble the unit and repair it. The small screws that hold the motor onto the gearbox housing "got loose" and pulled out of the thin stamped metal end cap of the motor. I was able to find some slightly larger screws and get them to bite into the motor housing, so for now it's working.

I've had mine on my car for going on three years now, with the aforementioned problems, and I've come to believe that probably any/all of them should be treated as a "novelty" item that's going to need periodic maintenance and replacement. They're lots of fun but to be kind to all the manufacturers it's probably pretty difficult to engineer a product that's capable of long-term longevity in an exhaust system and exposed to road hazards/debris and be able to sell it at a competitive price. The way to look at these is to decide for yourself: is the enjoyment you're going to get out of having them worth the hassle of having to periodically "deal" with them?

99% of the time, when I "use" mine it's when I'm showing the car to someone or driving into/away from a show. I start the car, let it sit there and idle while the audience "appreciates" the lumpy cam, then I reach in and pull the cutouts open - everyone's grin get's bigger while they "oooh and ahhh" over it - then I close them, shut the car off, and start answering questions about the engine. I won't deny that it's lots of fun - but I'm very careful to not run them on public roads where they might attract the wrong kind of attention and risk getting the car impounded.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Bear. I find your comments to be very informative. It has me rethinking the whole electric motor thing. Maybe cable operated cut outs would be the way to go. Any input on manually operated units?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I've never attempted to look into manual cutouts, so I don't really know what's out there in the marketplace. I installed mine to look as much as possible like the "vacuum operated exhaust" option that was available for a brief time during the 1970 model year. If you can find a good set of manual cable-actuated cutouts I don't know why they couldn't be made to work.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Vacuum operated? I never heard of that before. Sounds promising. I will check into that.
My brother had a 67 firebird with cutouts that had caps. He would have to crawl under the car to open/close them. He ran around town with them opened up. He was parked in an apartment complex one day revving the motor when a cop stopped him. The cop said, son, I could hear you from 2 miles away. You better cap those off now or your going to jail!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am installing QTP elec. cutouts on my 06 GTO, and I was wondering myself. Is it better to have the Oval turn downs or can you be fine without them??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in